Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel i7 8700k z370-E Cpu cooler suggestion for 5ghz clock speeed

DirtyMacho
Level 7
Hi Guys

I am currently running the below spec.

CPU: Intel I7 8700k
Cooler: Corsair H100I v2 in push pull mode. 2 pull stock fans and 2 push cooler master slick flow 2000Rpm Fans.
MB: Asus z370-e Gaming series
RAM: Adata DDR 4 2800Mhz
SSD: Adata XPG 8000 nvme m.2 256gb R:2.1GB/s W:1.2GB/s
SSD1: Corsair 128gb SSD R:550MB/s W: 515MB/s
SSD2: Intel 180 GB ssd. R: 515MB/s W: 505MB/s
HDD1: 6TB WD SURVILENCE
HDD2,3,4: 3x 2tb wd , Seagate hdd
GPU: Zotac gtx 1080 Mini
PSU: Corsair RMX750
case: Thermaltake core x71 tempered glass both sides.

Setup;

OC: XMP
MCE: off
SVID: Best case scenario
LLC: level 4
Core CPU: 1.23V

so its running stock oc' ie 4.3ghz all the time.

Now avg temps is 45-65. While gaming 70-81 degree celcius

but when i manually set to 4.5 @ 1.26 or 4.9 @ 1.3v the temps hits like 100 easily i have to shut it off. But these were cpu stress testing.

I wanted to know if changing my cooler from h100i in push pull to h150i push pull can allow me to oc to 4.8 or 5ghz below 1.28v and keep it cooler like under 80 degree is my deemed max temp as possible.
20 REPLIES 20

runningdodo
Level 7
Delidding with changing from original TIM (thermal paste) to liquid metal will bring greater reduction of your CPU-Temp than changing the cooler.

You then could easily keep your H100I v2 if you stay under 1,35 V Vcore.

DirtyMacho
Level 7
Delidding is out of option when its new. As i may wait till warranty expires or change it .

Can any one comment if the new 8086k cpu is better in thermal or not.

runningdodo
Level 7
No it isn´t.
Same lousy TIM under it´s heatspreader.

What do you mean by one core. When i set manual i get the freq on all cores.
Even the stock 5ghz oc in bios by Asus will only oc 1 core . What abt the rest of the core.

Ok coming to again non delided review chip on tube for h150i on cpu test handled below 85 deg

I can show it .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57V0M9D8bwo&t=341s

DirtyMacho
Level 7
hmm then why doest it cost more. How is it reaching stock 5ghz without right tim.

Dont they read our feedback and complaints at all It cost 100+ dollars more than stock 8700k.

Yet they release with some so call super chip with same temps issues.

Ok coming to my point. How a 240mm vs 360mm radiator cant help me even oc to 5ghz bios stock profile oc'ing feature to stay put under 80 degree on load.

I dont know if there is table for each freq max and min voltage can be give.

DirtyMacho wrote:
hmm then why doest it cost more. How is it reaching stock 5ghz without right tim.

Dont they read our feedback and complaints at all It cost 100+ dollars more than stock 8700k.

Ok coming to my point. How a 240mm vs 360mm radiator cant help me even oc to 5ghz bios stock profile oc'ing feature to stay put under 80 degree on load.

Binning, advancements in process manufacture - to name a couple. Better cooling will help, but you'll be much better off delidding the CPU if you're desperate to achieve a given clock speed.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

DirtyMacho wrote:

You are attempting to apply logic to a monetarily driven market.

Liquid metal or soldered thermal junctions cost more to produce and can make the projected specs. OC is never a guarantee.

You came, you asked, we answered.

1) delid your CPU and replace the toothpaste they put under the heat spreader with liquid metal. Until you do this it wont matter what cooler you use, its pulling the heat from the heat spreader.....the problem is getting the heat off the die to the spreader.
2) I would have went with the H115i cooler over the h100i and even so the fans should be matched or you end up loosing efficiency with one fighting the other.
3) better yet, do a custom loop with better components. Its not a question of if but when the plastic fittings are going to weaken and spew coolant all up in your case and most likely MOBO.
4) You havent quaified for your OC wings until you have voided the warranty at east once. If you dont want to go that route then buy a delidded and binned chip for silicon lottery. Then you know what you will get for an OC, delidded is taken care of, and they now offer a 1 year warranty on their chips. Not as good as OEM but better than nothing.
5) You havent lived until you have let the magic smoke out of at least one CPU.

No one is happy about the TIM, intel has heard plenty of feed back and of course they research the market. In the end there are two choices, Intel or AMD. Using a cheaper manufacturing method that yields them more financial windfall has not and will not stop the chips from flying off the shelves. If there was more competition in the market it may be a concern but as of the last 40 years they only thing that matters is who stays ahead on core count and clock speeds.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

cool i heard noctua is cool. But i dont want to put the 1+kg load in board. I agree it can handle. But i am wondering on the 150i makes any different even 5+ degree is cool to have and if i can oc to 4.8ghz is suffice.

But when i set manual sync all core it will do 4.8ghz on all cores. Which is not advisable? As one said only 1 core it will hit 5ghz . rest all? Does the 5gzh oc profile in board only oc to one core and rest stay between 3.7ghz to max 4.3ghz or 4.7 gh?

runningdodo
Level 7
1.) It only reaches 5 GHz boost clock on one core.

2.) The 8086K are binned 8700K CPUs. The best 8700K are as good when oced as the best 8086K, the can reach 5,2-5,3 GHz@1,35V Vcore primestable too.