Mouse Pad Roccat Taito
    Headset/Speakers klipsch promedia 2.1
    OS W10 x64pro
    Network RouterAsus RT-N56U
    Accessory #1 PS4 Pro, Xbone S, KS8000 65" 4k SUHD
    Accessory #2 HTC Vive, S, maxnomic classic office
    Accessory #3 MBP 2018 Touch, Nikon D3100, OnePlus 6T

Hero XI Aura/RGB causes coil whine?

All of the sudden today I started hearing coil whine out of my case, going crazy listening to every component, I came to the conclusion it is from the RGB/Aura. If I disable the Aura via the application, the coil whine gets even louder, unbearable.

What is happening?

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Zammin PC Specs
    Zammin PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula
    ProcessorIntel 9900K (Conductonaut Applied)
    Memory (part number)G Skill 3200Mhz Trident Z RGB 32GB 3200Mhz CL16
    Graphics Card #1RTX 2080Ti FE
    MonitorAcer Predator XB271HU 165Hz
    Storage #1Samsung 970 EVO 2TB M.2 NVME SSD
    Storage #2Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD
    CPU CoolerEKWB Velocity RGB
    CaseLian Li PC-011 Dynamic
    Power SupplyCorsair RM1000i
    Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum RGB
    Mouse Steel Series Rival 600
    Headset Astro A50 (Gen 2)
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Scabbard
    Headset/Speakers JBL LSR305 Mk II
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by dante`afk View Post
    All of the sudden today I started hearing coil whine out of my case, going crazy listening to every component, I came to the conclusion it is from the RGB/Aura. If I disable the Aura via the application, the coil whine gets even louder, unbearable.

What is happening?
    Do you have a large amount of LEDs coming off one RGB header?

I got a loud ringing sound as well when I had a whole bunch of RGB strips and an RGB fan frame all connected to one header (Phanteks products can be daisy chained).

If so, try moving some of the RGB components to a different header to split the load.

If it's only a small amount of LEDs, or if you are talking about the RGB lights on the board itself then something's wrong. Might have to open a support ticket (best of luck haha).

ROG Member Array

I have the Coil Whine to on the Hero XI .. and i have no RGB Strips LEDs in the Case. Only Gskill RGB Ramm , Maindboard and the Graphicscard ( Gigabyte 1080 )
    But when i make Aura off the Coil Whine is at the Same Level of loudness.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array XYchromosone PC Specs
    XYchromosone PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)DELL Inspiron 15 5559 + HP Pavilion dv6 3032tx
    MotherboardASUS Maximux XI Extreme [BIOS 1105]
    Processori9 9900K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Vengance RGB 16GB CMR16GX4M2C3466C16 V4.31
    Graphics Card #1ASUS ROG Strix Gaming GTX1080Ti 11GB
    MonitorAOC AG271QG 27" 165Hz
    Storage #1Samsung 970 Pro NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD
    CPU CoolerThermaltake Floe Riing 360 Premium AIO
    CaseFractal Design Define R6 Black
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1600i
    Keyboard RAZER Blackwidow X Tournament Chroma
    Mouse RAZER Lancehead [ambidextrous] Chroma
    Headset Sennheiser RS165 Wireless
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64 + UbuntuStudio 18.04
    Network RouterASUS DSL-AC68U on ADSL2+, Technicolor DJA0230TLS Gateway NETGEAR CABLE ADAPTER CM450

Quote Originally Posted by dante`afk View Post

What is happening?
    You should be able to pin point where exactly this winning is coming from. Get a 2' [60cm] hose about the size of your little finger in diameter, and use it as a stethoscope, by putting one open end of the hose to your ear, and the other end of the hose move it around the motherboard until you find where exactly the whining is coming from. It's most likely a choke [a ferrite core with copper wire winding] which is the usual passive electronic component that whines under certain load [if it's part of an isolating circuit e.g.]. If scanning each component on the motherboard is unsuccessful, then move the open end of the hose to the power supply unit [PSU]. There are many vents around PSU case that you can check for whining. If any whining sound is coming from any of the PSU vents, then it's your PSU that might need replacing.

For those technically capable, the chokes that cause whining have probably come loose usually because the silicone glue used to secure the coil/core to the motherboard simply needs to be replaced. A dry solder joint could also be the cause of a whining component and cleaning the solder joint and re soldering followed by glueing with silicon glue is a remedy. But this is for those with experience and a FYI.

ROG Member Array

I have the feeling its louder at the near off VRMs and IO Shield. When i go with my Ear to the PSU i hear nothing. Going with my Ear down to the VRMs its at the loudest.
    Last edited by Stagefire; 11-05-2018 at 02:02 PM.

ROG Member Array

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAVcb_6fbu0

Another Board but exact this CoilWhine i have with the Hero IX when Idel.

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array Korth PC Specs
    Korth PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS X99 R5E (BIOS2101/1902)
    ProcessorHaswell-EP E5-1680-3 SR20H/R2 (4.4GHz)
    Memory (part number)Vengeance LPX 4x8GB SS DDR4-3000 (CMK32GX4M4C3000C15)
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Graphics Card #2NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Sound CardJDS Labs O2+ODAC (RevB), USB2 UAC1
    MonitorASUS PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSDs, 4xSATA3 RAID0
    Storage #2Comay BladeDrive E28 3200GB SSD, 8xPCIe2
    CPU CoolerRaijintek NEMESIS/TISIS, AS5, 2xNH-A14
    CaseObsidian 750D (original), 6xNH-A14
    Power SupplyZalman/FSP ZM1250 Platinum
    Headset Pilot P51 PTT *modded*
    OS Arch, Gentoo, Win7x64, Win10x64
    Network RouterActiontec T3200M VDSL2 Gateway
    Accessory #1 TP-Link AC1900 Archer T9E, 1xPCIe
    Accessory #2 ASUS/Infineon SLB9635 TPM (TT1.2/FW3.19)
    Accessory #3 ASUS OC Panel I (FW0501)

Anything which loads the PWMs or VRMs could cause coil whine.
    And once those diodes start oscillating or those caps start failing it tends to get worse more often than it tends to self-correct.

If it's "unbearable" then ASUS might approve an RMA ticket. At their discretion. (They're not strictly required to do so, if you read your fine print, but I've read many reports where they have done so anyways.)

If it's "unbearable" and the mobo is still spanking new then you might still be able to exchange/refund it through your vendor without dealing with ASUS warranty.

Your only other options are to live with it (and just hope it goes away), or maybe reduce it with a different hardware config, or a DIY "repair" (with potting agent, epoxy, anti-vibration pads, etc), or a proper component-level electrical/hardware repair. Upgrading your PSU or turning your OC down a couple notches might work, too, but nothing is certain without proper diagnosis.
    Last edited by Korth; 11-10-2018 at 04:18 AM.
    "All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Zammin PC Specs
    Zammin PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula
    ProcessorIntel 9900K (Conductonaut Applied)
    Memory (part number)G Skill 3200Mhz Trident Z RGB 32GB 3200Mhz CL16
    Graphics Card #1RTX 2080Ti FE
    MonitorAcer Predator XB271HU 165Hz
    Storage #1Samsung 970 EVO 2TB M.2 NVME SSD
    Storage #2Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD
    CPU CoolerEKWB Velocity RGB
    CaseLian Li PC-011 Dynamic
    Power SupplyCorsair RM1000i
    Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum RGB
    Mouse Steel Series Rival 600
    Headset Astro A50 (Gen 2)
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Scabbard
    Headset/Speakers JBL LSR305 Mk II
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64bit

I just got my Maximus XI Formula up and running today and I also have the whine from the motherboard's onboard RGB lights, but in my case it only seems to be when the system is off (the lights stay on when the PC is powered down). I have the lights set to the breathing effect when the system is off, and the whine comes and goes as the lights fade in and out. I'm not sure if it's just that it's so quiet that it's immediately drowned out by any system noise when the PC is turned on, but I think it actually goes away when I power on the system. Hard to be sure. My previous Maximus X Hero and Maximus X Code did not emit any noise from the onboard lights whether the system was powered on or off though, so I feel like this may be a slight yet common flaw in the Z390 ROG boards specifically.

On a side note, I'm actually quite disappointed in the lighting on the XI Formula. The lighting is so dim on the I/O panel you have to squint to see it. It's not uniform across the lower areas of the board either, some areas are bright while others are dim. This surprised me at first because the images of the board on the ASUS webpage make it look a HELL of a lot better than it does IRL. I looked up some youtube videos of the board powered on and in every one of them it looks pretty similar, dim and not entirely uniform, so I don't think it's a defect, just a pretty bad lighting implementation in general. It's a shame because when the board was shown at CES (I think it was CES, there's a video on youtube) the ASUS rep says that the lighting and aesthetic comes from the Rampage VI, but it looks WAY better on the Rampage when you see videos of it. The way it's implemented on the Formula looks like a low cost copy of the Rampage VI.

Other things I found is that the mirror finish on the EK VRM block has some minor scratches on it (although not that bad when I saw online other people had samples where the finish was partially scuffed off like it was hit with sand paper) and the mirror panel on the I/O shield (that has the lighting underneath) partially popped out when I was peeling the protective film off it as well... Some quality concerns there. Not sure I feel like I'm getting the kind of quality one would expect from a board of this price :/

The Livedash OLED panel on this edition is a pretty big improvement though, so I'm glad to see I got something for my $719 AUD lol.
    Last edited by Zammin; 11-10-2018 at 08:40 AM.

ROG Member Array

My Secound Noctua D15 Fan over the Ram makes this Noise / Coilwhine because i mounted it a way up to have enough space between Ram and Fan. When i push the Fan a little left or right the Noise are Gone. ;-) .. now i must find a way to fix the Position of the Fan that the Noise is complet gone.

But Thanks for your Help

Edit :

Hmpf ... The Coil Whine is stil there :-( .. i test a Run only with the First Fan and a Run Only with the Secound Fan .. Coilwhine stil there. And i can not more Reproduce the Push Fan theorie that i wrote about. I Think i must Life with that Coil Whine in Idle Windows.
    Last edited by Stagefire; 11-10-2018 at 11:25 PM.