cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone using an Optane M.2 drive on their IX Extreme?

rolldog
Level 9
I built a system a while back, installed a 32GB Optane drive, and when I finished by build, I found out that it could only cache the boot drive so I just disabled it until recently when they changed this. Since I ran my loop with borosilicate glass tubing, it would have been too much of a PIA to remove everything only to take the M.2 drive out, so I've had it disabled for the last year or so.

Recently, Intel updated their drivers/firmware, which allows you to cache any drive you want, so I enabled it and have been using it to cache my 8TB Seagate. Ever since then, Windows 10 has been locking up constantly. I've had to reset the OS a couple of times and I've completely deleted the partitions on my Samsung 960 (my boot drive) and did a clean install of Windows 10. I'm still having problems, and in my quest to figure out what's going on, I'd like to find out if anyone else has been using an Intel Optane drive on their Maximus IX Extreme, and if so, if they've been having any random issues.

Is anyone else using an Optane drive with this MB?

Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2

hellokitty
Level 11
it is only working for the Z370 boards, not this board. is what i saw in a linus video. but i just checked and z270 is supported, but might need a bios upgrade to get it to work. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000026040/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-m...

rolldog
Level 9
I installed one in my system when I built it, but I didn't realize that the Optane drives only cached the boot drive at the time, which isn't what I wanted to use it for. So, it's still installed in my M.2 slot. I haven't removed it because it's under a heatsink attached to my waterblock and to remove it would mean to take everything apart. I've disabled it, but I'm wondering if it might be the cause of my PC freezing up constantly. I thought by disabling it, the system would just ignore it, but my PC is still freezing up, and I'm out of ideas of what might be causing this. The BIOS has an option to enable an Optane drive, but when it's enabled, the drivers for my Samsung 960 don't recognize it anymore. It works, but Magician doesn't recognize it nor do the Samsung drivers.