cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove RAID 0 setup on G752VW

bignadad
Level 7
I have been using a RAID 0 setup on my G752VW for the past year and have had no issues.

I have (2) 512GB Samsung 950 PRO M.2 ssd's
They are partitioned into my OS and media drives

I am running out of storage on my media drive and purchased a 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 ssd. I want to replace the media (drive/partition) with this new drive. Is there any way to "disconnect" the media drive from my RAID 0 setup and keep the OS drive in tact. Then install my 1TB drive as a secondary drive and get rid of the raid 0?

Or should I just do a clean install of windows?

Also, there are only (2) M.2 slots on my G752VW, right? I also have a Samsung EVO 850 SSD as my 3rd drive.

6 REPLIES 6

Clintlgm
Level 14
All you have to do is create an Image of your raid volume. I use Macrium Reflect there is a free version then remove the SSD your not going to use. then restore the image back to the one M.2 SSD still installed. Boot up and ensure all is working good, I you have a problem booting use the Fix Boot Problems function of Macrium Reflect. Boot again all should be working. Great shut down and install your new 1 TB M.2 SSD. Boot up and activate format it in disk manager and give it a drive letter.

You should probably move some data off the C: drive before starting as it appears you only have 2x 256 so your image is going to have to fit on that one 256gb SSD
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

bignadad
Level 7
Thanks for the info. after looking at this link it says "Up to two NVMe M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 SSDs can be installed in RAID0"

Does this mean this is the only way to use both M.2 slots? Or can I use them without RAID?
I wanted to use my original samsung 512gb 950 m.2 for my os, and my new 1tb samsung 970 m.2 as my secondary. and of course still have my samsung evo 850 2tb as a secondary.

Is this possible?

One more thing would i get a big performance boost by buying another 1tb samsung 970 m.2 and creating another RAID 0 setup like i have now? the advantage of course would be going from 1tb total, to 2tb total. Just don't know if i can justify spending another $400 to do that unless its the only way.

bignadad
Level 7
So after reading your post here i see that is is possible to use my 512gb and 1tb m.2's without raid.

but i still wonder about the second part of my question. would i get that much of a performance boost buying another 1tb m.2 and setting up RAID 0?

Also you say "You can do this in RAID mode or AHCI mode". if i dont setup RAID 0 which should i use?

bignadad wrote:
So after reading your post here i see that is is possible to use my 512gb and 1tb m.2's without raid.

but i still wonder about the second part of my question. would i get that much of a performance boost buying another 1tb m.2 and setting up RAID 0?

Also you say "You can do this in RAID mode or AHCI mode". if i dont setup RAID 0 which should i use?

Well you have lost me. it appeared to me that you have 2x256gb Raid 0 = 512gb in your two m.2 NVME slots currently.

If you have 1 512gb M.2 SSD then you will have 1 m.2 slot open and you can just drop in your 1tb or 2TG m.2 SSD. there is no real time difference between running NVME SSD on RAID RST driver or AHCI NVME performance is the same.

Will you gain any real time difference between a single M.2 SSD and 2 M.2 SSD in RAID 0 the answer is not really unless you are writing multi-thread huge files? Read speeds are pretty much the same and write speed will increase about 20% but unless you're doing a specific task that can actually use that increased write speed you don't gain anything noticeable other than on benchmarks.

Personally, I like to keep my OS drive smaller I do use a 960 Pro 512GB for C: and have my OS and programs installed on it I have a 1TB SATA 850 Pro where I store my data files.

if you create a 2tb raid 0 you'll also have to back up that drive on a regular basis taking much longer to create images and restore images. Also with RAID 0 you have to maintain really good and frequent backups since if you have one drive act up or fail you lost everything on the Volume

In real life, since you already have a 512gb OS SSD Raid 0 you could just drop in a 960 1tb or 2tb SATA SSD in your 2.5 slot and save yourself some money

There are tons of information on storage solution on the internet they all pertain to you within your limits of 2 x M.2 PCIe NVME slots and 1 2.5 SATA slots google is your friend.

You might want to run Hwinfo64 so that you can see exactly what you have running
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

bignadad
Level 7
Sorry i lost you. If you look on my images in post one you will see the RAID 0 at 954gb. Im not sure why the second drive in that array shows a size of 0. But the drives C: (OS) and F: (Media) are my (2) 950 512gb M.2 drives in RAID 0 and partitioned as those to drives. Here is the HWinfo of exactly what i have

So with that info is your advice still the same as in post 2? Clone my os partition from RAID 0, remove the 2nd m.2 (currently named media). restore that image to the m.2 still installed, then after it boots install my new 1tb m.2?

I do a lot of work in lightroom and premiere on this laptop. So would that justify the need for that 20% increase?

bignadad wrote:
Sorry i lost you. If you look on my images in post one you will see the RAID 0 at 954gb. Im not sure why the second drive in that array shows a size of 0. But the drives C: (OS) and F: (Media) are my (2) 950 512gb M.2 drives in RAID 0 and partitioned as those to drives. Here is the HWinfo of exactly what i have

So with that info is your advice still the same as in post 2? Clone my os partition from RAID 0, remove the 2nd m.2 (currently named media). restore that image to the m.2 still installed, then after it boots install my new 1tb m.2?

I do a lot of work in lightroom and premiere on this laptop. So would that justify the need for that 20% increase?

So yes you could use the increased write speed then go with the 2 1 TB SSD in RAID 0.
I'm not really sure how Asus set up the original Raid 0 with your 2 512GB SSD but basically, the procedure is the same create a complete Image of your current RAID Volume. Remove your 2x 512gb SSD and install the 2 1 TB SSD then restore that Image.
On a desktop board, we would set up the 2 1TB SSD in RAID 0 in the BIOS. No then on my G752VY which was in raid mode on 1 256gb SSD I never saw the RAID set up nor did I see anything in the BIOS about Raid 0 set up. Since you have 2 drive in RAId 0 already it should be set up already but I'm not sure at all and you windows disk manager doesn't make sense to me either as your 2 512gb in raid 0 should be one volume of 1TB
However if when you restore the volume if it all goes on only 1 of the 1tb SSD all you would have to do is install the IRST full version and then RAID 0 the 2 1tb ssd in windows with the IRST software which is what I would do!! also you could create the RAID 0 with windows storage manager I don't know anything about that so my advice would be that we know IRST is reliable and top of the line. We also know that Windows especially windows 10 can really screw things up. Should you want to use windows storage manager you'll have to inform yourself about using it.

I think we might be on the same page now hopefully I have answered your questions

Your 2 512gb SSD could be sold or installed in family members or friends computers that are not quite so demanding in storage space and write speed

Another thing you might take into account is that M.2 SSD doesn't really come into there own until they are writing multiple threads not sure if your software is capable of writing in multiple strings or threads at the same time?

We have to remember that Benchmark programs and real-world performance and really different things. For instance, my G75VW with 2.5 SATA SSD benched at close to 500mbs 300mbs and booted in about 20 seconds. My G752 with M.2 960 pro benchmarks at 2900mbs 1900mbs and boots in about 20 seconds they both are running the same software and well the G75 was on 8.1 and g752 is 10 but my point it booting is a single thread process on both OS Systems I just mention this to get you thinking about what you really want to do and what the best way to go is
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro