New ROGer Array

Exclamation 2 Bios Bugs with CROSSHAIR VI HERO

Currently there a 2 bugs with the 7106 bios for the crosshair 6 hero.
    Note: I'm using a Ryzen 3600 so I'm not sure if this only affects ryzen 3000. Also, I saw the bios got updated to 7201 which I haven't checked for these bugs yet.

The first bug, can be replicated every time, is with the CAS memory latency. It won't ever go lower than 16, no matter if a D.O.C.P profile with lower memory timings was loaded or if set manually. And if it is set to any value lower than 15, the following boot will result in a black screen which can only be bypassed by hitting the safe boot button on the mainboard, followed by the clear CMOS button.

The second bug, could actually be quite dangerous to the cpu. It causes the CPU fan to turn off.

Now, hear me out here for a second, as I couldn't get this bug to trigger with just synthetic benchmarks. It only happened after playing games for a while. It also seems to happen with any kind of fan profile as I had it happen with the fan on auto as well as with a custom fan curve.
    I had HWiNFO64 open in the back so I could monitor temps etc. After closing the game, I saw the fan was stuck at ~1400 rpm (Rated for 200-2000) even when the cpu temps already settled to 40°c which I knew from previously monitoring should have been around 500rpm.

So I started up the CPU-Z benchmark, to try and get the fan speed to update. The fan speed did indeed reduce. But to my surprise, it kept on reducing even when the benchmark, which was set to stress test by the way, was still running. Temps reached over 70°c very quickly with the fan still being off. (I have an open benchtable as a "case" so I also checked if it was just a display bug of hwinfo, but no, the fan actually stopped spinning). So with the temps still increasing, and the fan not looking like it would turn on again, I stopped the benchmark and all of a sudden the fans turned on again. They went back up to the 1400 rpm they were previously stuck at. Only a pc restart could restore the proper behaviour.

I hope you see how dangerous this bug could be and find a way to fix it.

New ROGer Array

Update: flashed to 7201, and the CAS memory latency can still not be set to below 16. I didn't test for the fan bug yet, but I'm just going to presume that it is also still not fixed.