cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about the QvL list supported RAM and SSDs

runningdodo
Level 7
In The QvL List to my Maximus X Formula (and that is similar to X Hero Boards)

• there are only 4*16 GB RAM Kits but no 2*16 GB Kits at all? Why?

• there are only Samsung 960 evo und pro M.2 SSDs with max. 512 GB but no one with 1 TB. Why?
8 REPLIES 8

JustinThyme
Level 13
Either they were not compatible or simply not tested. QVL list is simply what they have confirmed to work.
Need only post the question once.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Deepcuts
Level 10
Also pay attention that Asus QVL for memory is very tricky.
Meaning a lot of memory kits are tested only at JEDEC specs, not with XMP enabled. Which is a bit lame in my opinion.

You could just browse the QVL for your desired memory KIT, see that it is listed and say: Great. It will work.
And buy the KIT.
Only to discover that most likely it will not work stable at XMP.
And if it will, hurry and buy a lottery ticket because you are lucky 🙂

How can i browse the QVL for my desired memory KIT ?

Deepcuts wrote:
Also pay attention that Asus QVL for memory is very tricky.
Meaning a lot of memory kits are tested only at JEDEC specs, not with XMP enabled. Which is a bit lame in my opinion.

You could just browse the QVL for your desired memory KIT, see that it is listed and say: Great. It will work.
And buy the KIT.
Only to discover that most likely it will not work stable at XMP.
And if it will, hurry and buy a lottery ticket because you are lucky 🙂

seriously??
if this is true, then the qvl in not worth the name...
_EVERY_ kit has to work at JEDEC specs or the mainboard vendor did something terribly worong...:rolleyes:

cypeak wrote:
seriously??
it this is true, then the qvl in not worth the name...
_EVERY_ kit has to work at JEDEC specs or the mainboard vendor did something terribly worong...:rolleyes:

It is tested at the frequency shown in the QVL. Pay attention to the disclaimers, though. Anything that can be classified as an overclock isn't guaranteed to work because variance comes into play.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
It is tested at the frequency shown in the QVL. Pay attention to the disclaimers, though. Anything that can be classified as an overclock isn't guaranteed to work because variance comes into play.

but then again: what's a qvl worth if it says: we tested it and it may work, but don't blame us if it doesn't ...?
it's nothing else then just another lottery.
a qvl i can't rely on - because basicaly everything beyond stock spec is overcloking - is really not worth a dime!

sorry if this sounds too harsh; just try to see it from the customers point of view. if you're looking for components which definetely work as they're marketed/specified, the qvl would be the first thing to check...
you don't need a qvl to have stock specifications guaranteed!

cypeak wrote:
but then again: what's a qvl worth if it says: we tested it and it may work, but don't blame us if it doesn't ...?
it's nothing else then just another lottery.
a qvl i can't rely on - because basicaly everything beyond stock spec is overcloking - is really not worth a dime!

sorry if this sounds too harsh; just try to see it from the customers point of view. if you're looking for components which definetely work as they're marketed/specified, the qvl would be the first thing to check...
you don't need a qvl to have stock specifications guaranteed!

Overclocking is a lottery. That's why it's called overclocking. The QVL merely shows it may work. Not that it 100% will.

Deepcuts
Level 10
Each motherboard has a QVL.
X HERO for example: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/ROG_MAXIMUS_X_FORMULA/MEMORY_QVL_0108.pdf

Or the question was referring to the wording of the phrase? 🙂