Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    ROG Member Array runningdodo PC Specs
    runningdodo PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus X Formula
    Processor8700K@5 GHz
    Memory (part number)2*16 GB GSkill 3600 MHz (F4-3600C17-16GTZR)
    Graphics Card #1GTX 1080 Ti
    Sound CardEssence STX 2
    Monitorsamsung 850d
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB
    Storage #2Samsung 960 Evo 500 GB
    CPU CoolerAquacomputer Kryos XT
    Power SupplybeQuiet Dark Power P9 850 W

    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    21

    Questions about the QvL list supported RAM and SSDs

    In The QvL List to my Maximus X Formula (and that is similar to X Hero Boards)

    • there are only 4*16 GB RAM Kits but no 2*16 GB Kits at all? Why?


    • there are only Samsung 960 evo und pro M.2 SSDs with max. 512 GB but no one with 1 TB. Why?
    Last edited by runningdodo; 07-12-2018 at 07:28 AM.

  2. #2
    Banned Array JustinThyme PC Specs
    JustinThyme PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VY-DH72
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4 8x8 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3800 MHz @ C17
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1GHz
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1Ghz
    Graphics Card #3ROG Nvlink
    Graphics Card #4Have to feed animals
    Sound CardExternal Audioengine D1 24 bit 192kbps DAC
    MonitorASUS PG348Q @ 100Hz
    Storage #1Intel 905P 480GB U2 flavor
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB X2 in RAID 0, 960 PRO 1TB DIMM.2_1
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite 8X LL120 PWM, 3X LL140 PWM, 12 SP120 PWM 1x AF140 PWM
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    Mouse ASUS Spatha, Logitech MX Master
    Headset Sennheiser HD 700
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+ with SVS SB-1000 Sub
    OS Win10 Pro 1809
    Network RouterNetGear NightHawk X10
    Accessory #1 NetGear Prosafe 10GBe Switch
    Accessory #2 Qnap TVS-682 NAS modded with I7 CPU

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Reputation
    144
    Posts
    3,857

    Either they were not compatible or simply not tested. QVL list is simply what they have confirmed to work.
    Need only post the question once.

  3. #3
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Deepcuts PC Specs
    Deepcuts PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus X HERO BIOS 1901
    ProcessorIntel i7 8700K @ 4.7Ghz 1.215V
    Memory (part number)CMR32GX4M4C3466C16 @ 3200Mhz 1.360V
    Graphics Card #1Asus Strix GTX 1080Ti OC 11GB
    Sound CardCreative Omni 5.1 USB
    MonitorDell 24' S2417DG
    Storage #1Samsung EVO 960 nvme 500 GB
    Storage #2Seagate NAS 8TBx2
    CPU CoolerNZXT Kraken X62
    CaseFractal Design Define R5 Black
    Power SupplyCorsair AXi760
    Keyboard Razer DeathStalker Chroma
    Mouse Razer Abyssus
    OS Windows 10
    Network RouterMikrotik

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Reputation
    13
    Posts
    244

    Also pay attention that Asus QVL for memory is very tricky.
    Meaning a lot of memory kits are tested only at JEDEC specs, not with XMP enabled. Which is a bit lame in my opinion.

    You could just browse the QVL for your desired memory KIT, see that it is listed and say: Great. It will work.
    And buy the KIT.
    Only to discover that most likely it will not work stable at XMP.
    And if it will, hurry and buy a lottery ticket because you are lucky

  4. #4
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Deepcuts PC Specs
    Deepcuts PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus X HERO BIOS 1901
    ProcessorIntel i7 8700K @ 4.7Ghz 1.215V
    Memory (part number)CMR32GX4M4C3466C16 @ 3200Mhz 1.360V
    Graphics Card #1Asus Strix GTX 1080Ti OC 11GB
    Sound CardCreative Omni 5.1 USB
    MonitorDell 24' S2417DG
    Storage #1Samsung EVO 960 nvme 500 GB
    Storage #2Seagate NAS 8TBx2
    CPU CoolerNZXT Kraken X62
    CaseFractal Design Define R5 Black
    Power SupplyCorsair AXi760
    Keyboard Razer DeathStalker Chroma
    Mouse Razer Abyssus
    OS Windows 10
    Network RouterMikrotik

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Reputation
    13
    Posts
    244

    Each motherboard has a QVL.
    X HERO for example: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...Y_QVL_0108.pdf

    Or the question was referring to the wording of the phrase?

  5. #5
    ROG Member Array cypeak PC Specs
    cypeak PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Strix Z370-G
    ProcessorIntel i7-8700K
    Memory (part number)32GB G.Skill F4-3600C17D-32GTZR
    Graphics Card #1Palit GTX1070 Super Jetstream
    MonitorDell S2716DG
    Storage #1Samsung 970 EVO 250GB & 1TB
    Storage #2Toshiba TR-150 1TB
    CPU CoolerScythe Mugen 5
    CaseAntec P6
    Power SupplySeasonic Focus Plus Platinum 550W
    Keyboard Roccat Ryos TKL
    Mouse Speedlink Omnivi
    Headset Roccat Kave XTD Stereo
    cypeak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    6

    Quote Originally Posted by Deepcuts View Post
    Also pay attention that Asus QVL for memory is very tricky.
    Meaning a lot of memory kits are tested only at JEDEC specs, not with XMP enabled. Which is a bit lame in my opinion.

    You could just browse the QVL for your desired memory KIT, see that it is listed and say: Great. It will work.
    And buy the KIT.
    Only to discover that most likely it will not work stable at XMP.
    And if it will, hurry and buy a lottery ticket because you are lucky
    seriously??
    if this is true, then the qvl in not worth the name...
    _EVERY_ kit has to work at JEDEC specs or the mainboard vendor did something terribly worong...
    Last edited by cypeak; 07-16-2018 at 01:45 PM. Reason: typo

  6. #6
    Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Reputation
    164
    Posts
    7,454

    Quote Originally Posted by cypeak View Post
    seriously??
    it this is true, then the qvl in not worth the name...
    _EVERY_ kit has to work at JEDEC specs or the mainboard vendor did something terribly worong...

    It is tested at the frequency shown in the QVL. Pay attention to the disclaimers, though. Anything that can be classified as an overclock isn't guaranteed to work because variance comes into play.

  7. #7
    ROG Member Array cypeak PC Specs
    cypeak PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Strix Z370-G
    ProcessorIntel i7-8700K
    Memory (part number)32GB G.Skill F4-3600C17D-32GTZR
    Graphics Card #1Palit GTX1070 Super Jetstream
    MonitorDell S2716DG
    Storage #1Samsung 970 EVO 250GB & 1TB
    Storage #2Toshiba TR-150 1TB
    CPU CoolerScythe Mugen 5
    CaseAntec P6
    Power SupplySeasonic Focus Plus Platinum 550W
    Keyboard Roccat Ryos TKL
    Mouse Speedlink Omnivi
    Headset Roccat Kave XTD Stereo
    cypeak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    6

    Quote Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post
    It is tested at the frequency shown in the QVL. Pay attention to the disclaimers, though. Anything that can be classified as an overclock isn't guaranteed to work because variance comes into play.
    but then again: what's a qvl worth if it says: we tested it and it may work, but don't blame us if it doesn't ...?
    it's nothing else then just another lottery.
    a qvl i can't rely on - because basicaly everything beyond stock spec is overcloking - is really not worth a dime!

    sorry if this sounds too harsh; just try to see it from the customers point of view. if you're looking for components which definetely work as they're marketed/specified, the qvl would be the first thing to check...
    you don't need a qvl to have stock specifications guaranteed!

  8. #8
    Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Reputation
    164
    Posts
    7,454

    Quote Originally Posted by cypeak View Post
    but then again: what's a qvl worth if it says: we tested it and it may work, but don't blame us if it doesn't ...?
    it's nothing else then just another lottery.
    a qvl i can't rely on - because basicaly everything beyond stock spec is overcloking - is really not worth a dime!

    sorry if this sounds too harsh; just try to see it from the customers point of view. if you're looking for components which definetely work as they're marketed/specified, the qvl would be the first thing to check...
    you don't need a qvl to have stock specifications guaranteed!
    Overclocking is a lottery. That's why it's called overclocking. The QVL merely shows it may work. Not that it 100% will.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •