cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG STRIX Z370-F new build issues?

Stefanwright
Level 7
Hey!

So I have just been working on my new pc build, the first board I got had bent pins, and the seller wouldnt RMA it, said it was my fault so I bought the same board again. However what I have found, and it may be expected behaviour, is that if I try to power the PC without a CPU literally nothing happens. The RGB bit on the board lights up, but nothing else will happen. I am waiting delivery of a new CPU as I suspected the last was DOA because the system would power on for a split second and then die straight away.

However I was thinking that if I connected everything up RAM, GPU, PSU, Cooler then I would at least get post beeps when pressing the power button? Will the board simply do nothing without a CPU on it??

My other suspicion is a dodgy PSU perhaps so I am going to try get my hands on another to see. I tried breadboarding but it didnt make a difference. Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be going on? I've never had such problems with a new build

Full specs
EVGA 750 BQ Power Supply
Corsair Vengeance RGB LED 16GB 2x8GB DDR4 2666MHz Memory Kit
Asus ROG STRIX Z370-F GAMING 1151 DDR4 ATX Motherboard
Asus ROG STRIX GTX 1050 Ti 4GB OC GAMING Graphics Card
Intel BX80677I77700K Core i7-7700K Processor
4 REPLIES 4

MoKiChU
Level 40
Hi,

You can not use an i7-7700K with a Z370 chipset-based motherboard.

You must either change your CPU to switch on an i7-8700K, or change your motherboard to pass on a Z270 chipset.

OH MY GOD! I can't believe I overlooked that! 😞

Will it have caused damage to my board by having a 7th Gen processor installed?

MoKiChU
Level 40
No I think not, it is still a socket 1151.

As explained previously, you must either change your CPU to switch on an i7-8700K (or another Coffee Lake CPU), or change your motherboard to pass on a Z270 chipset.

Thank you, I will order an 8700K, in the mean time though, should I be able to at least power the board on and have everything power up such as the lights on the gpu, ram, fans, the cpu cooler? It doesn't currently I'm wondering if the psu is dodgy but I read that boards for nothing at all without a cpu?