Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

What was 21140 supposed to fix?!

I have 2 Gt's, one in router mode and other operating in bridge mode on the 5ghz-2 and also have an rt-ac88u also in bridge mode on 5ghz-1 but running Merlin's firmware. First of all, bridge mode hasn't worked on the GT since firmware 20308. On all later versions bridge will only stay connected for about 10 minutes then drops and I have to reboot the bridge. Main router also has to be running 20308 for it to work. The AC88u has no issues staying connected no matter what firmware the main router is running. Anyway, as for 21140, 5ghz-2 is unstable and drops roughly 5 minutes after any client connects. Oddly, just having the either GT running 21140 brings my entire network to a crawl. Nothing in the logs on either. Rolling the main router back to 20648 corrects that issue but on that version the 5ghz-2 also has issues with clients staying connected. The Gt in bridge mode had to be rolled back to 20308 to get bridge mode to work.
    For now, I have a RT-AC5300 in AP mode (running merlin's firmware) for 5ghz-2. Seriously considering making the RT the main router (many very useful options on Merlin) unless a working stable firmware can ever be released for the gt.

Banned Array

Quote Originally Posted by MasterC@ASUS View Post
    What exactly do you have connected to the game ports? From testing on my end, 1Gbps link rate was automatic using a Realtek NIC. Auto-negotiate appears to work just fine, it's dependent on the client. Have you checked your Ethernet cables?

Again, if you really want to, you can try forcing 100Mbps. But honesty, it's impossible to notice anything different since negotiation takes place once upon bootup, and the process occupies only a fraction of a second. Not worth stressing over unless it ends up using the wrong link rate.

That log entry pertains to the operation of AiProtection, nothing to be concerned about.
    Further to this issue, I have noticed that the Link Aggregation ports 5 and 6 also show link negotiation in the syslog. They, however negotiate highest speed first 1000 mbps and stay there, without issue.
    Ports 3,4,7 and 8 all negotiate normally with no issues and are not logged in the syslog.
    I would bet that the issue is related to the drivers for the "special ports" and this needs to be investigated.
    I have an up time now of 3 days as I have nothing connected to the game ports and have not experienced any sporadic reboots . I would say that this result would indicate that there is no problem with the cables been used or any other components.
    There should be an option to revert these ports to a standard configuration.

Mark

PS Asus should pay Merlin to sort out this router software!
    Last edited by MarkSW; 07-20-2018 at 01:54 AM.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array stefan063 PC Specs
    stefan063 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)EUROCOM X6W
    MotherboardIntel Z170
    Processori7-6700K
    Memory (part number)32GB
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA GTX980
    Graphics Card #2None
    Graphics Card #3None
    Graphics Card #4None
    Sound CardRealtek
    Monitor17" LG
    Storage #1256GB Samsung EVO 960 NvME
    Storage #2256GB Samsung EVO 960 NvME
    CPU CoolerStock
    Mouse Logitech G502
    Headset Logitech G933
    Mouse Pad Logitech
    OS Windows 10
    Network RouterASUS GT-AC5300

Quote Originally Posted by chris k View Post
    I have 2 Gt's, one in router mode and other operating in bridge mode on the 5ghz-2 and also have an rt-ac88u also in bridge mode on 5ghz-1 but running Merlin's firmware. First of all, bridge mode hasn't worked on the GT since firmware 20308. On all later versions bridge will only stay connected for about 10 minutes then drops and I have to reboot the bridge. Main router also has to be running 20308 for it to work. The AC88u has no issues staying connected no matter what firmware the main router is running. Anyway, as for 21140, 5ghz-2 is unstable and drops roughly 5 minutes after any client connects. Oddly, just having the either GT running 21140 brings my entire network to a crawl. Nothing in the logs on either. Rolling the main router back to 20648 corrects that issue but on that version the 5ghz-2 also has issues with clients staying connected. The Gt in bridge mode had to be rolled back to 20308 to get bridge mode to work.
    For now, I have a RT-AC5300 in AP mode (running merlin's firmware) for 5ghz-2. Seriously considering making the RT the main router (many very useful options on Merlin) unless a working stable firmware can ever be released for the gt.
    YEP! Exactly the same problem here. Never had issues with disconnecting users from any WIFI band,but now dropping users from any WIFI band and very bad QoS work... Basically not working. When it ramps up internet usage, GT disconnects every user from WIFI and LAN then comes back On-Line after few secs.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

So my issues with WiFi and clients disconnects are not unique!

When do we have a new firmware coming out ???

ROG Guru: White Belt Array stefan063 PC Specs
    stefan063 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)EUROCOM X6W
    MotherboardIntel Z170
    Processori7-6700K
    Memory (part number)32GB
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA GTX980
    Graphics Card #2None
    Graphics Card #3None
    Graphics Card #4None
    Sound CardRealtek
    Monitor17" LG
    Storage #1256GB Samsung EVO 960 NvME
    Storage #2256GB Samsung EVO 960 NvME
    CPU CoolerStock
    Mouse Logitech G502
    Headset Logitech G933
    Mouse Pad Logitech
    OS Windows 10
    Network RouterASUS GT-AC5300

Well... Initialization (Factory reset,totally) worked out well with issues. No issues anymore!

Try doing "Initialize" without restore afterwords. Because after I restored setting problems came back.

So set up GT as brand new. Input every settings manually and one by one...

ROG Enthusiast Array spadizzle PC Specs
    spadizzle PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Crosshair VI and Zenith Extreme
    ProcessorRyzen 1700x and Threadripper 1950x
    Memory (part number)G-Skill F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR
    Graphics Card #1Asus GTX 1080
    Graphics Card #2Asus GTX 1080
    Sound Cardbuilt-in
    MonitorROG PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 960 NVMe
    Storage #2Samsung 950 pro SSD
    CPU CoolerH115i
    CaseCorsair AIR 540
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1500i
    Keyboard G910
    Mouse G903
    Mouse Pad Powerplay
    OS Win10 pro 64bit
    Network RouterNetgear

Seems to a tad to much on the request site. ;)

every 5 seconds ..... Isn't this an older issue and now is back?

DNS request to dns.msftncsi.com from router

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-07-22.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	208.7 KB 
ID:	74789

If I activate Quality of Service (QoS), it removes between 100 and 200 Mbps of speed, in the rest of network, I had the Bandwidth Limiter active, for a PC, but it slowed down in others doing the speed tests
    The buttons (WPS, LED, WIFI) sometimes do not work are blocked, I have to reboot system, if I want to use them.
    If I access the router for any reason to consult traffic analyzer for example, and not reboot system, when leaving, then wireless scheduler does not work!!
    It is pity so many failures, hardware is very good!!!!

ROG Junior Member Array

Is anyone's WAN speed hot garbage with this update? If I direct connect to the modem I get 130Mbps, if I use the router I get speeds all over the place, anywhere from 1Mbps to full speed. WTF is going on with this firmware? Is it possible to downgrade?

BTW link speed is negotiated at 1Gb full. I'm on the verge of trashing this router and buying Netgear.

Banned Array

Quote Originally Posted by Genghis_Tron View Post
    Is anyone's WAN speed hot garbage with this update? If I direct connect to the modem I get 130Mbps, if I use the router I get speeds all over the place, anywhere from 1Mbps to full speed. WTF is going on with this firmware? Is it possible to downgrade?

BTW link speed is negotiated at 1Gb full. I'm on the verge of trashing this router and buying Netgear.
    What ports are you using?
    I tend to stay away from the Ports 1,2,5 and 6 due to link negotiation issues ( see my previous posts)

Mark

ROG Junior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by MarkSW View Post
    What ports are you using?
    I tend to stay away from the Ports 1,2,5 and 6 due to link negotiation issues ( see my previous posts)

Mark
    You are talking about clients and not WAN connection correct? If so I just moved my PC from port1 to port8 but still have the issue.

Edit: I take that back. Steam was updating a game in the background when I ran that last test. I'll rock with port 8 for a while and see how it is. Either way, come on Asus.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast