cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 22 after BIOS update 1602

G_A_B_O_
Level 8
Hello Everyone!

My build had been running smoothly since December 2017 even after several bios updates (0802, 1003, 1101,1301,1401). when i saw the BIOS update available on the site i thought id do it in the morning the next day, so i did using the bios update utility, the progress bar loaded completely, shut down, i pressed the start button and got qcode 22. I tried using the revert bios with all the builds but i would always get error code 22 regardless of what i do. Swapped all the ramsticks to have 1 at a time each try(Same slot for single DIMM), tried different brand, reseatted CPU. Everything was working fine before the failed bios update, i used the flash utility to thinking it was the most error free way. Now I cant get into bios menu, cant revert bios method. ASUS said i can RMA to them but its going to be a 4 week ordeal.

Am I out of options to troubleshoot?
10 REPLIES 10

Phillyflyer
Level 10
Error code 22 is related to memory.....most likely memory training...try leaving it in for a minute...see if it will cycle through until it reboots itself.
Asus ROG Maximus XI EXTREME
Intel i7 9900K OC'D @ 5.2 GHZ @ 1.345V (1.296V LOAD) LLC 6 PRIME 95 STABLE 8 HRS
XSPC RX360 Rad (6)Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM Fans In Push/Pull @ 1500 RPMS
Swiftech Drive II / Swiftech MCP35X Pump
Enermax Platimax 1200 Watt Power Supply
32GB G.Skill F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 3866 MHZ CL18 1.35V (OC 4266MHZ 17-18-18-41-2T @1.45V)
MSI GTX 1070 SEA HAWK EK X SLI WITH ASUS HB RGB
(5)Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB In Raid 0
(2) WD 1TB Black Edition
Corsair 900 D

Phillyflyer wrote:
Error code 22 is related to memory.....most likely memory training...try leaving it in for a minute...see if it will cycle through until it reboots itself.

i left it on memok! for a min but it never got past the code 22 after a couple of shutdowns. but i will try again.thank you!

chevell65
Level 12
Code 22 looks to be a memory initialization code. Have you tried clearing the cmos or pulling out the cmos battery for awhile?

chevell65 wrote:
Code 22 looks to be a memory initialization code. Have you tried clearing the cmos or pulling out the cmos battery for awhile?

Yes, i found online it was something memory related which made my try the ram one by one, i did clear cmos,and did remove the cmos battery for a couple of minutes, how much time would you consider is enough time for the cmos bat?

thank you

NemesisChild
Level 12
The PC should have rebooted after the bios updated, there was no need to press the start button. Also, did you clear the CMOS or return the bios settings to default before flashing? Depending on your board, the bios flashback is probably your only option if clearing the CMOS doesn't work.

If you don't want to wait for an RMA replacement, you can always buy a new bios chip from ASUS.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

NemesisChild wrote:
The PC should have rebooted after the bios updated, there was no need to press the start button. Also, did you clear the CMOS or return the bios settings to default before flashing? Depending on your board, the bios flashback is probably your only option if clearing the CMOS doesn't work.

If you don't want to wait for an RMA replacement, you can always buy a new bios chip from ASUS.

I left the settings as they were before the flashing, i never changed anything on my past updates

The bios flashback works and it finishes doing the update but it wont post regardles of the bios i flash.

Is the Bios chip difficult to replace? where is it located? i already have a board on its way to me, but i am not in the US so shipping from Honduras to the US would easily cost me 100-150$. so id rather buy another board and just RMA when i fly to the states.

Just wanted to update everyone. i fixed it by flashing the BIOS 1401, removing cmos battery for . 5 min, memory training (although didnt boot after this) but the most noticeable thing that made it boot was using the LN2 Switch to on and jumper to on and back off

chevell65
Level 12
Well at least something worked to fix the issue because it sucks when a board dies. I thought the LN2 switch was on by default but maybe not.

chevell65 wrote:
Well at least something worked to fix the issue because it sucks when a board dies. I thought the LN2 switch was on by default but maybe not.

It's supposed to off by default.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601