cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus X Hero and 8086K multicore enhancement (those having this CPU and MB combo)

mahanddeem
Level 7
Hi there,
I am interested to know if a 8086K is used with a Maximus X Hero and Asus multicore enhancement is enabled, will this make CPU run at 5GHz on all cores at load?
Second and more important question, for those who have this combination of hardware, what core voltage the board will use on Auto settings?
I know CPUs are different from one to the other but want a general idea.

Thanks alot
5 REPLIES 5

XYchromosone
Level 10
in your second question do you mean stock speed of the CPU without OC the multiplier ? OR OC to 5GHz and leaving the vcore at default with ASUS MCE on auto?

Zammin
Level 9
If you leave MCE on auto and select "sync all cores" instead of "per core" it will turbo all cores to the maximum single core turbo frequency (5Ghz for the 8086K, 4.7Ghz for the 8700k) however stability is not guaranteed. It's generally better to dial in your own overclock rather than to rely on MCE and sync all cores. the 8086k should be able to do 5Ghz pretty easily without excessive voltage but you may still run into high temps depending on your cooling solution and whether or not the chip is delidded.

On my 8700k when I had a 280mm AIO prior to delidding I found that voltages around 1.30V and up would cause the CPU to run very hot during stress tests. After delidding and applying liquid metal it's much, much better.

XYchromosone
Level 10
mahanddeem wrote:
Hi there,
I am interested to know if a 8086K is used with a Maximus X Hero and Asus multicore enhancement is enabled, will this make CPU run at 5GHz on all cores at load?
Second and more important question, for those who have this combination of hardware, what core voltage the board will use on Auto settings?
I know CPUs are different from one to the other but want a general idea.

Thanks alot

Apparently i7 8086k OC to 5GHz with sync all cores it will not run all 6 cores at the maximum 5GHz at full load. It will only run a single core at 5GHz at full load, so the full 5GHz benefit is if you run an app that is designed to run a single core only. Multithreaded apps and benchmarking apps will run all 6 cores [synced] at full load probably at around 4.7GHz under full 100% CPU load. This is what I have noticed with the little bit of testing that I have done so far with my new i7 8086k that I have only had for 2 days now.

Your second question I have a screenshot of my UEFI BIOS set to default to show vcore, I also tested with ASUS MCE set to Disabled and Enabled which all gave the same vcore as follows:

Did this help?

And thank you XYchromosome.
So MCE did not lock all cores to 5ghz despite being on?
What voltage did auto end up with in your testing?

PS: if you're gaming a new modern heavy game (BF1, GTA V, Far Cry 5 or the like...) what clock cpu will run at if MCE is enabled?

mahanddeem
Level 7
Thank you guys. This helped alot.