cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Rog Aura Terminal software questions (Halo)

Riekopo
Level 9
The Asus ROG Aura Terminal device should be releasing soon. It was supposed to release in the first half of this year 2018. It's been up for pre-order on the UK Overclockers website for a while. It basically appears to be Asus' first attempt at a Lightpack clone. You plug it into your PC and attach LED strips to it. Those LED strips get attached to the back of your monitor or wherever, and they shine the colors from the edges of your monitor onto the wall.

It's an immersive/ambient reactive lighting system. It seems like it might be better than the Lightpack PC because I think the Lightpack only supports 1080p and 120Hz and I think the LED strips of the Lightpack can only display one color at a time. Whereas the Asus Terminal LED strips seem to be individually addressable.

I have some questions about this new device though and its software which is called 'Halo'. I couldn't find these answers on the website. What resolutions and refresh rates does the Terminal support? I have a 1440p 144Hz 27" BenQ monitor. Does the lighting work when an application/game is being used in Fullscreen mode? Devices like the Lightpack PC only work in Windowed mode I think which is annoying because you lose performance/FPS. Finally, how much does using the Terminal affect overall PC performance? It will use system CPU resources from my understanding, but I don't know how much.

Also, it seems like a really great first device from Asus. My only wish is that it had an HDMI port and maybe also a DisplayPort so it could be used with modern consoles and PC users had another easier way to use it.
13 REPLIES 13

zaza7
Level 7
hi, been trying to find answers to some questions also, and none available.

So from what i understand it works in full screen, i can't test the high res and frequency cuz im still using a supercharged potato(2500k 4.5ghz) and my screen is the same from back then.

From my experience, there is no loss of FPS's, BUT i don't know if it's because of my potato or a software imcompatibility between HALO and games, what get's delay is the light switching, took me days to realize how to fix it, in some games the LEDs would have delay, like like "a second/half of it" to change when you'd move around and your screen changes.
then realized, Anti-Aliasing... MSAA8x, turned it off and the led color change is fast(instantaneous) and smooth now.
Maybe my system can't handle it well enough with bumped up graphics, maybe it needs an update...

Still find this is a great item, only ONE thing i have against ASUS.... 4 headers, 4 screen sides, 3 ledstrips???
ill be buying a compatible adressable rgb strip off of ebay to get the bottom part to work, cuz 50€ for a led strip that SHOULD be included is insane.
(fix these issues Asus)

Hi there.

I was looking for a good solution for reactive RGB background lighting for quite some time.
With the ROG Aura Terminal ASUS finally delivered a solution which is actually usable for gaming.

But one thing which is missing here in my opinion is Linux support for the Halo software.
When will Linux gamers be able to take full advantage of this product?

I don't know if this is the right place to report such things but it seems that the Halo software is having problems with Windows scaling.

For example if I use the ROG AURA Terminal on my 4K screen but select a 150% scaling because otherwise I can't read the text anymore the Halo software detects a wrong resolution on this screen.
And this causes some kind of an offset for the RGB strips. If I put something blue in the top middle of the screen the LEDs on the right side turn blue instead of the top middle ones.
The same applies to the horizontal RGB strips.

Riekopo
Level 9
This software hasn't been updated since May. Asus needs to stop releasing hardware and then abandoning the software side of it. The Asus Halo software is really lacking compared to the software for things like Lightpack, Logitech Lightsync, NZXT Hue 2, etc.

We need an audio visualizer, big fixes, an option to change the delay, confirmation of support for high refresh rates like 144Hz, and the ability to change where the software is grabbing colors from the screen. For example, by default I think it is grabbing the average color from the edges of the screen. But we should be able to make our own custom boxes so we could have it grab colors from certain UI elements like health bars for example.

I'd also like to be able to change what colors it grabs. Instead of the overall average color it could grab the most common color, or the lightest color, or the darkest color, etc.

I got the Terminal and have been using it for a couple of days now, and I couldn't agree more with Riekopo on this one. The software is not up to date with todays features. The product doesn't feel rushed, it was announced in January mind you, but more like it should have been held back a month or two till the software was done. The product got so much potential it's nearly heartbreaking to see it being crippled by the software. I really want this one to succeed, but Asus, you need to step up on software quality. And please provide us with an update for the new software- and feature list. Your brand deserve it.

On another note, I think the hardware is good, but it's a bit "Frankensteiny" with the cables end at the lightstrips. It should have been 90 degrees angle options with the box. I got the Asus PG278Q 27" monitor and the ends pass the egdes on the top lightstrip.

Also if you got some beta software allready, release it! I would love to test it and give feedback.

hello guys i seem top have a problem rog terminal doesnt show in aura sync I TRIED EEEEEEVERYTHING , and i can event download halo sftware ,when i chose my operating system in their site nothing happens,io need help

andreas12793 wrote:
hello guys i seem top have a problem rog terminal doesnt show in aura sync I TRIED EEEEEEVERYTHING , and i can event download halo sftware ,when i chose my operating system in their site nothing happens,io need help

Hi,

Here is the direct link : https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Accessory/Keyboard_Mouse/HALO_1.02.01.zip

MoKiChU: Hey, do you know if an software update is in the works? At the moment modern games are out of sync with the HALO effect lights.

Asus ROG Aura Terminal HALO Test:
Still needs more optimization , custom box + a way for it to select common colors for more vivid visuals and OPTIMIZATION ! It likes getting crazy with gpu and cpu , although I must say its okay , in most games I still think there is room for improvement on that department