cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG GU501GM Low GPU Usage/Power limit thottling

XeonGreen
Level 7
So i purchased a ROG GU501GM from best buy on June 23. It has a i7-8750H and a GTX 1060 which is okay for playing games but when I tested it it didnt perform as it would normally do.

After I downloaded my games into it my framerate isnt as good compared to similarly spec'd laptops on the internet. I downlaoded Intel Extreme Tunnig Utility and it occasionally shows "Yes" on Power Limit Throttling.

I have also used MSI Afterburner and the Percaplimit is Power and Voltage. Same goes to GPU-z (perfcapreason is Power and voltage). I also notice the may GPU usage will hover about 50-70% only and rarely goes up to 90% in PUBG

I tried many fixes like putting nvidia settings to max performance, reinstalling drivers and reinstalling OS.

Do you have any suggestions in fixing this?
7 REPLIES 7

madhacker3kxl
Level 9
Hitting Power Limit Throttle Limit on CPU is perfectly fine. It has more to do with your Turbo Boost frequency. CPU can be rated up to 4GhZ but that doesn't mean it will stay on that limit with multiple cores.

What kind of performance are you getting? It will help if you can give some comparison numbers.

Worst case scenario is that ASUS may have limited the voltage to keep it at a defined TDP envelope. The form factor does not help for the GU501. Only way to find out is putting the laptop on top of laptop cooling pads or some sort of forced air.

I just bought this Gu501gm . I have a problem like you . I don’t know why this laptop is weaker than any other laptop with the same spec even Dell g7 with gtx 1060 max q is still perform better than this asus . Have you fixed it ? ( sorry my bad english) .

iamflair9z wrote:
I just bought this Gu501gm . I have a problem like you . I don’t know why this laptop is weaker than any other laptop with the same spec even Dell g7 with gtx 1060 max q is still perform better than this asus . Have you fixed it ? ( sorry my bad english) .

I havent found a fix it yet 😞

and yeah I noticed that too. Dell g7 with 1060 max q performs massively better than my fully fledged gtx 1060 in my Asus laptop.

madhacker3kxl wrote:
Hitting Power Limit Throttle Limit on CPU is perfectly fine. It has more to do with your Turbo Boost frequency. CPU can be rated up to 4GhZ but that doesn't mean it will stay on that limit with multiple cores.

What kind of performance are you getting? It will help if you can give some comparison numbers.

Worst case scenario is that ASUS may have limited the voltage to keep it at a defined TDP envelope. The form factor does not help for the GU501. Only way to find out is putting the laptop on top of laptop cooling pads or some sort of forced air.

How about the gpu? my gpu power throttles too according to msi afterburner.

I am getting around 50-70 fps in pubg while other people with laptops with gtx 1060s gets like 90-110 fps in pubg with the same settings in the same places in the map. I also noticed that they constanly have 90-99% gpu usage compared to my 50-80%.

Other games like overwatch and dota 2 also have less fps than my friend who has a 750ti

Yes I tried to use a cooling pad but didnt seem to improve performance. I get like 1-3 fps improvement lmao

Mine gpu usage 90-99% but still have low fps . Pubg in ultra i just get 45-55 fps and rarely get over 60 fps but my old del g7 can get 65-70 fps . Cs go at max setting i just have 100-120 fps and other laptop with same specs can get 160-200 fps . I think Im going to return this laptop .there something wrong with this product :(*

XeonGreen wrote:
How about the gpu? my gpu power throttles too according to msi afterburner.

I am getting around 50-70 fps in pubg while other people with laptops with gtx 1060s gets like 90-110 fps in pubg with the same settings in the same places in the map. I also noticed that they constanly have 90-99% gpu usage compared to my 50-80%.

Other games like overwatch and dota 2 also have less fps than my friend who has a 750ti

Yes I tried to use a cooling pad but didnt seem to improve performance. I get like 1-3 fps improvement lmao

From looking at benchmarks for 1060s PUBG fps is ~ 51 fps average, on Ultra High. Most laptops I seen with high fps are much larger in size thus can maintain the Boost Clock longer.

I have the GM501GS (1070) and it is on par with every benchmark out there on the GPU. My friend's laptop Asus ROG G752VS gets much higher scores but it is almost twice as big as the GM series.

Also, out of curiosity, does your computer come with one ram slot used? GM501GS comes with only one ram slot used thus running in single channel mode. Adding another ram card boosted the performance quite a bit.

madhacker3kxl wrote:
From looking at benchmarks for 1060s PUBG fps is ~ 51 fps average, on Ultra High. Most laptops I seen with high fps are much larger in size thus can maintain the Boost Clock longer.

I have the GM501GS (1070) and it is on par with every benchmark out there on the GPU. My friend's laptop Asus ROG G752VS gets much higher scores but it is almost twice as big as the GM series.

Also, out of curiosity, does your computer come with one ram slot used? GM501GS comes with only one ram slot used thus running in single channel mode. Adding another ram card boosted the performance quite a bit.

Yes I do use one ram slot.