cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB 3.1 Gen2 to USB 3.0 front panel adapter?

MonarchX
Level 7
My case only supports USB 3.0 for front panel, but I want to use USB 3.1 Gen2 on my Hero X board. It looks like there is a special ASUS-only adapter for USB 3.1 Gen2 to USB 3.0. Was the board supposed to be shipped with such adapters? I cannot find any... That is just wrong because the adapter is special and ASUS-only...
8 REPLIES 8

Carlyle2020
Level 10
Hello MonarchX,

what kind of computer case do you have?

I ask because it is the cases problem not the motherboards.

New cases are shipped out with the appropriate, standardised, USB 3.1 Gen2 _-CASE-_ connector which your board rocks.

My case was too old so i could not get an adaptor for my case.
But if you have a 3.5 or 5.25 frontpanel there are plenty front panel brackets which include a USB 3.1 Gen2 with mostly 1 or2 USB 3.0 slots included.

! But if you really want over 480MB up and download via USB 3.1 Gen2 use the connector on the board itself.

I have tried 2 different 3.1 Gen2 brackets and both run not as near as good as the original one on the motherboard.

I think only case suppliers will deliver a proper solution.

The others on the interwebs are all cheap ones that have the connector, but use basic USB 3 stuff to cobble something up.

I hope this helps to understand the new and unknown USB 3.1 Gen2 header on the board(s).

Rgds
Carlyle

Here is mine:

MonarchX
Level 7
Corsair Graphite 760T is the case I have. I do want to use the ASUS socket, but I can't believe they ship their premium motherboards without a single adapter or wire for USB 3.1 Gen 2...

Would USB 3.1 Gen 2 to USB 3.0 adapters limit bandwidth?

MonarchX wrote:
Corsair Graphite 760T is the case I have. I do want to use the ASUS socket, but I can't believe they ship their premium motherboards without a single adapter or wire for USB 3.1 Gen 2...

Would USB 3.1 Gen 2 to USB 3.0 adapters limit bandwidth?

There's no such thing as a "ASUS socket" in this case. It's a standard USB 3.1 Gen 2 key A 20 pin female connector. There's plenty of products where you can turn that into a regular Type-A female connector that's backwards compatible with all other USB hardware (like a USB hub) if you want, there's no need for an adapter, it's USB, it's all backwards compatible, it's just the connectors thats a bit different. That also explains why Asus didn't ship the motherboard with an adapter, no adapter is needed, you just need a USB cable with specific connectors and motherboards usually don't come with USB cables.

Here's an example of the cable I think you are requesting though:
https://www.delock.de/produkte/G_85325/merkmale.html?setLanguage=en for external use
https://www.amazon.com/Front-Panel-Header-Extension-Motherboard/dp/B077RWWJ5G for internal use

Carbonicdk wrote:
There's no such thing as a "ASUS socket" in this case. It's a standard USB 3.1 Gen 2 key A 20 pin female connector. There's plenty of products where you can turn that into a regular Type-A female connector that's backwards compatible with all other USB hardware (like a USB hub) if you want, there's no need for an adapter, it's USB, it's all backwards compatible, it's just the connectors thats a bit different. That also explains why Asus didn't ship the motherboard with an adapter, no adapter is needed, you just need a USB cable with specific connectors and motherboards usually don't come with USB cables.

Here's an example of the cable I think you are requesting though:
https://www.delock.de/produkte/G_85325/merkmale.html?setLanguage=en for external use
https://www.amazon.com/Front-Panel-Header-Extension-Motherboard/dp/B077RWWJ5G for internal use

These adapters don't work . Chinese crap. You can connect it to 3.1 connector on motherboard and 3.0 to 3.0 front connector, but USB doesn't work. It fails if you copy files from computer to usb 3.0 stick. It says a device doesn't exsist, and your computer freezes. Crap and utterly ****. Don't buy.

Carlyle2020
Level 10
I can reiterate:

This connector is a CASE connector.
Buy a new case to get the square USB 3.1 Gen2 CASE to MOTHERBOARD cable.

And yeah USB 3.1 to 3.0 adapter = USB 3 speeds (at best)

I use a USB 3.1 cable to the motherboard now:

Since your case front panel does not sport a USB 3.1 connection, what would you do if Asus would provide a cable anyway?

USB 3.1 Gen2 Motherboard connection on the one side and on the other?

MonarchX
Level 7
Thank you for clarifying the sad state of how things are, although it is still strange that ASUS is more than willing to supply cheap SATA cables, but not expensive USB 3.1 cables. I think expense is the real reason and "it's a case manufacturer accessory, not motherboard" is a technicality used as an excuse.

Yeah, but I guess now I need a back-panel USB 3.1 extension since Corsair isn't likely to offer Graphite 760T panel replacements with USB 3.1 support... A 3rd party front panel would also work, but back panel would be preferred...

MonarchX wrote:
Thank you for clarifying the sad state of how things are, although it is still strange that ASUS is more than willing to supply cheap SATA cables, but not expensive USB 3.1 cables. I think expense is the real reason and "it's a case manufacturer accessory, not motherboard" is a technicality used as an excuse.

Yeah, but I guess now I need a back-panel USB 3.1 extension since Corsair isn't likely to offer Graphite 760T panel replacements with USB 3.1 support... A 3rd party front panel would also work, but back panel would be preferred...

Asus just follows the industry standard. Internal cables that connect the motherboard to the front IO is usually supplied by the case manufacturer. SATA cables are usually supplied by motherboard manufacturer, as they know the standard of SATA cables you motherboard support. Power cables are usually supplied by the PSU manufacturer - you don't want something wired wrong here.
If you think about it, it makes sense - Asus doesn't know the size of your case and thus don't know what length USB cable you need.

Outaherere
Level 7

I have the same problem, the case connector worked perfectly with my 2 year old Asrock board, but wont work with the new Asus board I just got, Tried the connector from amazon too, would not work. Asus seems to be the problem here