Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    43

    USB 3.1 Gen2 to USB 3.0 front panel adapter?

    My case only supports USB 3.0 for front panel, but I want to use USB 3.1 Gen2 on my Hero X board. It looks like there is a special ASUS-only adapter for USB 3.1 Gen2 to USB 3.0. Was the board supposed to be shipped with such adapters? I cannot find any... That is just wrong because the adapter is special and ASUS-only...

  2. #2
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array Carlyle2020 PC Specs
    Carlyle2020 PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus XI APEX w/o vrm heatsink
    Processor8086K/@5.0/1.26
    Memory (part number)Corsair LPX 4000 CL19@17.17.37/360/2T/1.375
    Graphics Card #1OOO RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA
    Graphics Card #2GTX 1060
    Sound CardOOO Xonar STX modified
    Monitor21: 9 LG 34 inch / flat
    Storage #11TB 960evo
    Storage #22TB 970evo plus
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15
    CaseSilverstone FT2 +200 bucks of sounddampening
    Power SupplySeasonic Prime Titanium 1000W
    Keyboard Cherry KC 1000 / OOO CORSAIR K63 + lapboard
    Mouse MX Master 2S
    Headset Sennheiser PC360 + Philips X2HR
    Headset/Speakers klipsch 4.1 pc speaker /cooling modified
    OS Win 10 64bit
    Network Routeryeah right...
    Accessory #1 Silverstone EBA01 headphone stand / black
    Accessory #2 radio Keyfob to turn on and off from Garage
    Accessory #3 Adata USB3.1 512Mb SSD @480Mb ul/dl

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Reputation
    17
    Posts
    91

    Hello MonarchX,

    what kind of computer case do you have?

    I ask because it is the cases problem not the motherboards.

    New cases are shipped out with the appropriate, standardised, USB 3.1 Gen2 _-CASE-_ connector which your board rocks.

    My case was too old so i could not get an adaptor for my case.
    But if you have a 3.5 or 5.25 frontpanel there are plenty front panel brackets which include a USB 3.1 Gen2 with mostly 1 or2 USB 3.0 slots included.

    ! But if you really want over 480MB up and download via USB 3.1 Gen2 use the connector on the board itself.

    I have tried 2 different 3.1 Gen2 brackets and both run not as near as good as the original one on the motherboard.

    I think only case suppliers will deliver a proper solution.

    The others on the interwebs are all cheap ones that have the connector, but use basic USB 3 stuff to cobble something up.

    I hope this helps to understand the new and unknown USB 3.1 Gen2 header on the board(s).


    Rgds
    Carlyle

    Here is mine:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	****ty USB 3.1 Gen2 bracket.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	507.5 KB 
ID:	74745
    Last edited by Carlyle2020; 07-17-2018 at 08:35 PM.

  3. #3
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    43

    Corsair Graphite 760T is the case I have. I do want to use the ASUS socket, but I can't believe they ship their premium motherboards without a single adapter or wire for USB 3.1 Gen 2...

    Would USB 3.1 Gen 2 to USB 3.0 adapters limit bandwidth?

  4. #4
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array Carlyle2020 PC Specs
    Carlyle2020 PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus XI APEX w/o vrm heatsink
    Processor8086K/@5.0/1.26
    Memory (part number)Corsair LPX 4000 CL19@17.17.37/360/2T/1.375
    Graphics Card #1OOO RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA
    Graphics Card #2GTX 1060
    Sound CardOOO Xonar STX modified
    Monitor21: 9 LG 34 inch / flat
    Storage #11TB 960evo
    Storage #22TB 970evo plus
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15
    CaseSilverstone FT2 +200 bucks of sounddampening
    Power SupplySeasonic Prime Titanium 1000W
    Keyboard Cherry KC 1000 / OOO CORSAIR K63 + lapboard
    Mouse MX Master 2S
    Headset Sennheiser PC360 + Philips X2HR
    Headset/Speakers klipsch 4.1 pc speaker /cooling modified
    OS Win 10 64bit
    Network Routeryeah right...
    Accessory #1 Silverstone EBA01 headphone stand / black
    Accessory #2 radio Keyfob to turn on and off from Garage
    Accessory #3 Adata USB3.1 512Mb SSD @480Mb ul/dl

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Reputation
    17
    Posts
    91

    I can reiterate:

    This connector is a CASE connector.
    Buy a new case to get the square USB 3.1 Gen2 CASE to MOTHERBOARD cable.

    And yeah USB 3.1 to 3.0 adapter = USB 3 speeds (at best)

    I use a USB 3.1 cable to the motherboard now:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	directly.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	488.2 KB 
ID:	74746

    Since your case front panel does not sport a USB 3.1 connection, what would you do if Asus would provide a cable anyway?

    USB 3.1 Gen2 Motherboard connection on the one side and on the other?
    Last edited by Carlyle2020; 07-17-2018 at 08:42 PM.

  5. #5
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Carbonicdk PC Specs
    Carbonicdk PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus ROG Strix Z370-E Gaming
    ProcessorIntel i7-8700k
    Memory (part number)F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR
    Graphics Card #1Asus ROG STRIX GTX1080TI O11G GAMING
    Sound CardSchiit Modi 2 Uber
    MonitorAsus MG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 960Evo
    CaseFractal Design Define R6 - Tempered Glass
    Power SupplyCorsair Professional Platinum Series AX860
    OS Windows 10 64bit

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    143

    Quote Originally Posted by MonarchX View Post
    Corsair Graphite 760T is the case I have. I do want to use the ASUS socket, but I can't believe they ship their premium motherboards without a single adapter or wire for USB 3.1 Gen 2...

    Would USB 3.1 Gen 2 to USB 3.0 adapters limit bandwidth?
    There's no such thing as a "ASUS socket" in this case. It's a standard USB 3.1 Gen 2 key A 20 pin female connector. There's plenty of products where you can turn that into a regular Type-A female connector that's backwards compatible with all other USB hardware (like a USB hub) if you want, there's no need for an adapter, it's USB, it's all backwards compatible, it's just the connectors thats a bit different. That also explains why Asus didn't ship the motherboard with an adapter, no adapter is needed, you just need a USB cable with specific connectors and motherboards usually don't come with USB cables.

    Here's an example of the cable I think you are requesting though:
    https://www.delock.de/produkte/G_853...setLanguage=en for external use
    https://www.amazon.com/Front-Panel-H.../dp/B077RWWJ5G for internal use
    Last edited by Carbonicdk; 07-18-2018 at 07:55 AM.

  6. #6
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    43

    Thank you for clarifying the sad state of how things are, although it is still strange that ASUS is more than willing to supply cheap SATA cables, but not expensive USB 3.1 cables. I think expense is the real reason and "it's a case manufacturer accessory, not motherboard" is a technicality used as an excuse.

    Yeah, but I guess now I need a back-panel USB 3.1 extension since Corsair isn't likely to offer Graphite 760T panel replacements with USB 3.1 support... A 3rd party front panel would also work, but back panel would be preferred...

  7. #7
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Carbonicdk PC Specs
    Carbonicdk PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus ROG Strix Z370-E Gaming
    ProcessorIntel i7-8700k
    Memory (part number)F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR
    Graphics Card #1Asus ROG STRIX GTX1080TI O11G GAMING
    Sound CardSchiit Modi 2 Uber
    MonitorAsus MG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 960Evo
    CaseFractal Design Define R6 - Tempered Glass
    Power SupplyCorsair Professional Platinum Series AX860
    OS Windows 10 64bit

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    143

    Quote Originally Posted by MonarchX View Post
    Thank you for clarifying the sad state of how things are, although it is still strange that ASUS is more than willing to supply cheap SATA cables, but not expensive USB 3.1 cables. I think expense is the real reason and "it's a case manufacturer accessory, not motherboard" is a technicality used as an excuse.

    Yeah, but I guess now I need a back-panel USB 3.1 extension since Corsair isn't likely to offer Graphite 760T panel replacements with USB 3.1 support... A 3rd party front panel would also work, but back panel would be preferred...
    Asus just follows the industry standard. Internal cables that connect the motherboard to the front IO is usually supplied by the case manufacturer. SATA cables are usually supplied by motherboard manufacturer, as they know the standard of SATA cables you motherboard support. Power cables are usually supplied by the PSU manufacturer - you don't want something wired wrong here.
    If you think about it, it makes sense - Asus doesn't know the size of your case and thus don't know what length USB cable you need.
    Last edited by Carbonicdk; 07-18-2018 at 02:20 PM.

  8. #8
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Reputation
    8
    Posts
    208

    Quote Originally Posted by Carbonicdk View Post
    There's no such thing as a "ASUS socket" in this case. It's a standard USB 3.1 Gen 2 key A 20 pin female connector. There's plenty of products where you can turn that into a regular Type-A female connector that's backwards compatible with all other USB hardware (like a USB hub) if you want, there's no need for an adapter, it's USB, it's all backwards compatible, it's just the connectors thats a bit different. That also explains why Asus didn't ship the motherboard with an adapter, no adapter is needed, you just need a USB cable with specific connectors and motherboards usually don't come with USB cables.

    Here's an example of the cable I think you are requesting though:
    https://www.delock.de/produkte/G_853...setLanguage=en for external use
    https://www.amazon.com/Front-Panel-H.../dp/B077RWWJ5G for internal use
    These adapters don't work . Chinese crap. You can connect it to 3.1 connector on motherboard and 3.0 to 3.0 front connector, but USB doesn't work. It fails if you copy files from computer to usb 3.0 stick. It says a device doesn't exsist, and your computer freezes. Crap and utterly ****. Don't buy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •