cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS 25.5" LCD Monitor Screen tearing

Retired
Not applicable
Back when I first built my rig [ 6 months ago or so ]. I bought the ASUS 25.5". At $290 @ 2ms response with a native 1920x1200. It was a no brainer. I've come to notice a lot of screen tearing is going on. And when I use vert sync to get rid of it, I occasionally drop to less than 30FPS. This is not normal. Was curious if there is a way to test if it's an issue with the monitor or something else I can adjust to fix this?

Best place I thought to put this in the forums.
9 REPLIES 9

martin_metal_88
Level 8
Sometime it's rfom sli or multi GPU card. But can also be from the screen, no real way to test it. Maybe remove one of your card and see if that help.
Martin_metal_88

Colenzo :Coolermaster ATCS 840 | Gigabyte's EP55-UD5 | Intel Core I7 860 @ 3.8Ghz | 4GB G.skill Trident 1600 | MSI GTX460 1GB HAWK Twin frozr | WD 640 black + WD 1TB green + WD 1TB Blue | Pionner DVR-216 | Silverstone Strider Plus 850W | Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus in push pull fan config |

Ask for more!

Retired
Not applicable
Will try, thanks. I'll report back.

Didn't help.

ottoyu34
Level 9
Tearing? or do you meaning banding.

Retired
Not applicable
I'm assuming tearing, where you get horizontal lines going across where it shows the lag in the screen refreshing the new rendered image?

ottoyu34
Level 9
Yup, It depends on what games or videos you playing.
Certain games or media could more likely to cause tearing.
Also, some screens are more likely to have that, due to their panel type, designs, etc.

Retired
Not applicable
Any chance you know of some monitors that rarely tear? It's beginning to annoy me. I'm thinking of upgrading to the 25.5" 120hz LCD-LED one by ASUS but I would rather get a sure thing this time.

martin_metal_88
Level 8
Generally you won't get these issue if you go with the higher quality screen. Especially the IPS panel instead of the cheap TN you find in 95% of today monitor. You should look for these. Maybe try another screen before jumping on the boat? If another one have the same issue it's pretty sure the new one will still have the same ( concidering it's software ).
Martin_metal_88

Colenzo :Coolermaster ATCS 840 | Gigabyte's EP55-UD5 | Intel Core I7 860 @ 3.8Ghz | 4GB G.skill Trident 1600 | MSI GTX460 1GB HAWK Twin frozr | WD 640 black + WD 1TB green + WD 1TB Blue | Pionner DVR-216 | Silverstone Strider Plus 850W | Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus in push pull fan config |

Ask for more!

XZEMi
Level 7
I use a samsung syncmaster p2370 with 2ms response time (sorry asus) but many monitors have 5ms response time. In standard definition situations 5ms was considered great. They are constantly improving this number I think someone made a 1ms monitor. Graphics are getting to the point where buying a product for its quality rather than its total size or reviewed performance is worth looking into. When OLED displays are more widely available I think this will be a thing of the past. I gave a asus monitor to my mother btw and its working very well for her. The refresh rate could be a issue sure but you know good CRT monitors had 100hz and that was top of the line.

martin_metal_88
Level 8
I wouldn't worry about the MS since if my brain work well the average human eyes can't see faster than 10MS or so. Also, I'm pretty sure the samsung use the grey to grey scale for the respond time so black to white to black would be maybe more like 8 or 9 MS. Asus certainly use the same way.

But well, the only valid point is that the issue is gone and now you can play your game without a worry of seing these line crossing the image 😉
Keep posting!
Martin_metal_88

Ask for more!