cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL503VS-DH74 touchpad issue

roadkill_dm
Level 7
I've had my new GL503VS-DH74 Scar Edition for over a month now and am loving it except for one very frustrating issue.

Immediately after unboxing, I performed a clean install of Windows 10 and reinstalled all the latest drivers/utilities directly from Asus's support page. Not long afterwards, I started noticing the trackpad would randomly stop responding for a second or two at a time. I can do a basic tracking motion with my finger on the touchpad and the cursor will suddenly stop moving on the screen. Similarly, I can be scrolling with two fingers and the page will just stop scrolling to my motion.

Occasionally, the cursor will follow a weird circular path at a strangely fast speed when I'm just trying to move in a linear direction.

Each time any of this happens, the trackpad will go back to working normally after a few seconds. Of course, using a USB mouse is fine.

At first I thought I was "holding it wrong" (as if the trackpad was trying to register a gesture?), but the issue has persisted no matter how I position my finger on the trackpad.

Other things I've tried (without much luck):

• Reinstalling the latest touchpad driver (11.0.25)
  • Installing the previous touchpad driver (11.0.18)
  • Installing the latest touchpad driver for the new GL504VS (11.0.0.23)
  • Uninstalling the ASUS touchpad driver and allowing Windows to use its own version
  • Increasing the "Touchpad sensitivity" to "Most sensitive"
  • Disabling all touchpad gestures
  • Setting the priority of the HID process to "Realtime" via Task Manager
  • Reseating the touchpad ribbon cables (I didn't notice any battery swelling)

I reached out to ASUS customer support and was simply told to RMA the laptop. I would like to rule out any software causes before doing an RMA because 1) I need the laptop for the time being, 2) I've had horrible experiences with RMA's in the past, and 3) given the nature of the issue, I'm not convinced ASUS will be able to tell if the issue is fixed or not since it's so sporadic.

Any ideas? Before I bought the laptop, I remember coming across a 1-star review where someone was having the same issue, but I'm unable to find it now.

Thanks in advance!
16 REPLIES 16

Hereforyou1
Level 7
Hello did you solve the issue? I'm having the same problem and it's very frustrating. I bought it a week ago and thinking about RMA it

Nope, only silence from both ASUS and Micro Center. Not happy.

In the meantime I also ran memtest86 which came back clean after 4 passes.

Maybe I'm just imagining it, but there does seem to be a "sweet spot" on the trackpad. I guess I'm getting used to it because I haven't noticed the issue as much over the last week.

If you decide to RMA, let me know how it goes. I probably won't be far behind.

Yesterday I uninstalled the Asus PTP Driver from the Settings, Apps and features. Since then I haven't had any lag but the two finger scrolling on Chrome isn't smooth as it used to be. At least the lag is gone cause it was driving me crazy. The driver version in Human interface devices in Device manager is 11.0.0.23. I guess it's a driver issue and we have to wait for a driver.
If you try this let me know how it went.

Edit: nah two mins after i posted this the lag happened lol. We just have to live with it I guess

Well, I finally made the drive to Micro Center to get this fixed... or so I thought.

They admitted the repair process would be a painful experience and generously offered to swap it out for a new unit. However, they no longer carry the 503, so I paid the difference to get a new GL504GS. Unfortunately they didn't have a floor model, but based on the specs online I assumed it was close enough to the 503 to make no difference.

I'm not a fan of the design. No Thunderbolt. I'm facing the battery discharge issues other people are posting about. And this is definitely not the keyboard I fell in love with from the 503. I was already somewhat regretting losing the 503.

Then I started noticing the EXACT SAME trackpad issues on the new 504. I feel like I'm going insane at this point. Clearly there is a fundamental problem with the drivers or hardware.

Anyway, I hope this helps. I won't be recommending or buying ASUS again.

Hey,

I bought the laptop 10 months ago and I had the same issue, but as I always used a external mouse I totally forgot... Last Friday I forgot it and I used the track pad all day... OMG.... I was getting nervous about it... I called Asus and they opened an RMA to my case... I hope that they can fixed it..... Because it's frustrating to pay a huge money on a laptop that I can't use track pad when I needed.

roadkill_dm wrote:
Nope, only silence from both ASUS and Micro Center. Not happy.

In the meantime I also ran memtest86 which came back clean after 4 passes.

Maybe I'm just imagining it, but there does seem to be a "sweet spot" on the trackpad. I guess I'm getting used to it because I haven't noticed the issue as much over the last week.

If you decide to RMA, let me know how it goes. I probably won't be far behind.

NOT an isolated issue! Five out of five separate ASUS gaming laptops with exactly the same problem (three GL503 models and a GL504GM-WH71). My latest, a GL531GU-WB74, is an upgrade replacement from ASUS, with the others having been returned to retailer. I've tried all logical fixes besides disassembly of the unit. Works fine with an external Bluetooth keyboard/touchpad, so I'm thinking it's a hardware issue. This will be my 5th RMA on an ASUS gaming laptop in eight months, and I fear my luck may soon run out with my unit being damaged or lost during transit. This is a shame (sham) since ASUS products have served me so well in the past. I guess we're screwed!

QUESTION: How do you fix an ASUS laptop?
ANSWER: Buy a DELL or an HP.

I bought a GL531GU laptop and have the same problem. Sometimes I have that lag witch the touchpad. I realle hopes that Asus fix this as soon as possible.

So, have anyone worked it out somehow?
OH GOD, I have been facing that same trackpad issue for 2 years now, and not gonna lie I was thinking I'm crazy and it was not real. Have happened to be so frequent these days and hopelessly googled it. But as I have found this thread and read it all over, I was both happy and sad at the same time. Oh god, thanks! it was not me. I KNEW IT.
GL503VS

definitely, my next laptop will not be asus.
lost a customer, and I will recommend other people to don't buy asus laptops.