cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RT-AC3100 paired with Rapture GT-AC5300 [Resolved]

Georgia
Level 7
Hi all i have a ASUS ac-3100 modem and a ASUS Rapture GT ac5300 router connected to it , i updated the Rapture to the new firmware and,
now i have no internet i just get a dhcp error, internet light stays red on the Rapture,internet works fine on the ac-3100.
I am using the WAN port to connect to the Rapture,everything was working fine before latest firmware update, i have reset the Rapture to default and retried,
previous firmware but issue still persist.

How do i fix this or has latest firmware bricked my Rapture router?
Please help THX in advance cheers.
5 REPLIES 5

chevell65
Level 12
"Denoted by the DSL in its product name, the DSL-AC3100 is a "Wi-Fi router with a built-in ADSL, ADSL 2/2+ and VDSL2 modem".

This means that the ac-3100 is actually a modem/router so it's also capable of providing DHCP service and working as both a modem and a router.

Since you can only have one device with DHCP turned on,... you can just leave the ac-3100 in modem/router mode with DHCP turned on then Disable DHCP on the ac-5100, or turn on access point mode 'same thing' on the ac-5100, this will prevent it from conflicting DHCP IP assignments with the ac-3100. This might be a better arrangement because then you can have the wireless and Ethernet working on both devices.

The AC-5100's router's default IP address is 192.168.1.1, and the default password to log in is admin/admin.

chevell65 wrote:
"Denoted by the DSL in its product name, the DSL-AC3100 is a "Wi-Fi router with a built-in ADSL, ADSL 2/2+ and VDSL2 modem".

This means that the ac-3100 is actually a modem/router so it's also capable of providing DHCP service and working as both a modem and a router.

Since you can only have one device with DHCP turned on,... you can just leave the ac-3100 in modem/router mode with DHCP turned on then Disable DHCP on the ac-5100, or turn on access point mode 'same thing' on the ac-5100, this will prevent it from conflicting DHCP IP assignments with the ac-3100. This might be a better arrangement because then you can have the wireless and Ethernet working on both devices.

The AC-5100's router's default IP address is 192.168.1.1, and the default password to log in is admin/admin.

Thanks for your help chevell65 and Master C but i keep getting the DHCP error,it doesn't seem to matter what settings i use i just cant seem to
get the AC 5300 Rapture to work?.
This combination has always worked,iv'e never had to enter any setting in either of the units except for my ssid name and password,
i only got this issue since latest firmware update,i have since tried all previous firmware's and still not working,not sure what else to do.
Should i RMA this unit? is there other settings i should try? The internet led on the Rapture just stays a solid red,so no wireless or Lan works. Thanks.

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
You can also consider setting up AiMesh, it's easier.
Here's a video guide: https://youtu.be/93-hWOf2dRM

Ideally you want the high-end model (Rapture) to be the main router for AiMesh, but since you have the modem in the RT-AC3100, you'll have to use that as the main router.

chevell65
Level 12
The AI mesh instructions appear to apply to connecting two router's to a separate modem which isn't shown in the video, what we are doing here is a bit different than that because we are connecting a new router to a modem/router combo unit. The AI mesh merely placed the second router into access point mode so that both routers would be in the same network.

The DHCP error message still indicates that the new router is not picking an IP address from the older modem/router.

You Need to plug the new router into one of the Ethernet ports on the older modem/router.

At that point you need to access the new router with this IP address 192.168.1.1, typed into the URL of your browser. Two routers, two different firmware pages.
Once you get to the new routers firmware settings you need to put the new router into access point mode and save the setting. After that it should be able to pick up a new DHCP IP from the old modem/router.

chevell65 wrote:
The AI mesh instructions appear to apply to connecting two router's to a separate modem which isn't shown in the video, what we are doing here is a bit different than that because we are connecting a new router to a modem/router combo unit. The AI mesh merely placed the second router into access point mode so that both routers would be in the same network.

The DHCP error message still indicates that the new router is not picking an IP address from the older modem/router.

You Need to plug the new router into one of the Ethernet ports on the older modem/router.

At that point you need to access the new router with this IP address 192.168.1.1, typed into the URL of your browser. Two routers, two different firmware pages.
Once you get to the new routers firmware settings you need to put the new router into access point mode and save the setting. After that it should be able to pick up a new DHCP IP from the old modem/router.

Thank you chevell65 this work perfect.:)