cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73-SW Control Key Acting like it is being Held Down

EvilShenanigans
Level 7
I've cleaned both control keys, checked that they aren't sticking and the issue keeps occurring with out me touching the ctrl key or even coming near it (not hitting it by accident). I did a quick search and found a few other similar but unrelated keyboard issues. I've uninstalled the drivers and installed new ones and the problem either remained the same or became more frequent. This is beginning to happen more frequently (every few minutes). This is not isolated to a certain program/application. It happens for everything from the desktop to browsing to games. I've heard some issues regarding the touchpad. I use a wireless mouse so if I have to kill the touchpad permanently to fix this I have zero problems with that. I've spoken with Asus tech support and their only suggestion is to send it in to be serviced which is unacceptable as I will have to acquire a new computer to work with during this time.

Thanks for any help and sorry if I'm blind and missed the exact same post elsewhere.
5 REPLIES 5

dstrakele
Level 14
How long have you had your laptop? Are you still within the time period of your retailer's return or exchange policy? If so, I'd recommend exchanging your laptop for a new unit, or getting a refund and buying a new laptop.

It sounds like you've got a hardware keyboard issue that will require keyboard replacement.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

I have had it for under 1 year, it is still within manufacturer and best buy's warranty, and I got the replacement/whatever additional coverage.

EvilShenanigans wrote:
I have had it for under 1 year, it is still within manufacturer and best buy's warranty, and I got the replacement/whatever additional coverage.

Have mine for almost a year now and it recently started acting up as well. Did all the driver re-installs and key board cleaning....

Only solved with restarting

dstrakele
Level 14
Sounds like you're beyond the time period for an exchange/return though. Most allow only 14 days to a month. Unless you're able to replace the keyboard yourself, you'll have to RMA it for repair.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

n3tninja
Level 9
I found out through observation that whenever I pulled my Razer Mamba from USB to Wireless use, this ctrl key pressed situation used to happen, otherwise it never did ever happen. Then after some few seconds of toying around the issue disappears. I guess its something to do with wireless mouse / the extra buttons on it.
Asus G53sw-A1
Intel i7 2630qm
Memory 8 GB
Nvidia GeForce GTX 460m 1.5 GB
Windows 7 Premium
1 TB HDD @ 7200 rpm
4x Blu-Ray
Razer Mamba, Razer Abysus, Rog Gaming Mouse.

FPS GAMER.