cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant get G.skill kit working on Z370 Maximus X Formula

NarfTV
Level 7
Hi folks,

As the title mentioned i cant get my G.Skill kit stable on my Z370 ROG Maximus X Formula.
Im using it with an 8700k.

kit: F4-3600C15D-16GTZ

Its in the QVL, XMP profile isnt working stable (Karhu is finding errors within minutes)
So i swapped out the kit at the vendor where i bought it believing that it could be a defective kit or something, got a new one and it does the same thing.
I tried manually adjusting VCCIO and SA voltages step by step

1.10v/1.15v, 1.15v/1.20v, 1.20v/1.25v, 1.25v/1.30v, 1.30v/1.32v all this voltages with DRAM voltage paired from 1.35v to 1.45v
Didnt touched the timings, but also tried Mode1 and Mode2, also tried different bios versions. (1003-1602)

All tests are done with CPU oc to 5GHz Cache OC to 4500, and also without any OC on bios defaults with a cache multiplier of 40.
I can only get it stable when using a lower Memory Bandwidth (3466 f.e. works stable when the rest is set to XMP/Auto)

Is my Board defective? Should i return it? Im afraid that the IMC of coffeelake shouldnt be an issue and by already swaping the kit that it has something to do with the board. Every Help is appreciated.

Greetings

John
79 REPLIES 79

chevell65
Level 12
Have you tried updating the EFI bios to the latest version?

chevell65
Level 12
Part of the problem may be that, according to G.SKILL, the F4-3600C15D-16GTZ is not on the QVL for the Asus Maximus X 'Formula', although it appears that they have tested it with the Maximus Apex, Prime, Strix, Hero etc. https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3600c15d-16gtz

Seems hard to believe that the Formula isn't on this list or that it's not working with this particular set of memory.

chevell65 wrote:
Part of the problem may be that, according to G.SKILL, the F4-3600C15D-16GTZ is not on the QVL for the Asus Maximus X 'Formula', although it appears that they have tested it with the Maximus Apex, Prime, Strix, Hero etc. https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3600c15d-16gtz

Seems hard to believe that the Formula isn't on this list or that it's not working with this particular set of memory.

Thats indeed interesting. Maybe Asus should remove it from their documentary too then. Since its listed here:
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/ROG_MAXIMUS_X_FORMULA/ROG_MAXIMUS_X_FORMULA_MEMORY_0309....

Maybe g.skill indeed removed it for some reasons...
But if this is the case then most G.Skill kits arent tested / supported by the formula. Because none of them is listing the formula on the g.skill site.

chevell65
Level 12
Yes like I said it seems hard to believe that G.SKILL did not test using the Maximus X Formula for some reason or that it would even make a difference.

It appears as if Asus tests only these memory's on their Z370 chip sets but not on each particular board, where G.SKILL's list is testing this particular memory on individual boards which seems more accurate to me.

chevell65 wrote:
Yes like I said it seems hard to believe that G.SKILL did not test using the Maximus X Formula for some reason or that it would even make a difference.

It appears as if Asus tests only these memory's on their Z370 chip sets but not on each particular board, where G.SKILL's list is testing this particular memory on individual boards which seems more accurate to me.

But this would mean ive bought a Board that doesnt support any G.Skill Memory for a premium price tag. And if it doesnt support any G.Skill memory its hard to believe that it supports any memory at all.. its just Samsung B-Die with a cooler after all.

chevell65
Level 12
It only took a minute to find this so might work better since it's on G.SKILL's list. http://gskill.com/en/product/f4-3600c19d-16gsxwb

chevell65 wrote:
It only took a minute to find this so might work better since it's on G.SKILL's list. http://gskill.com/en/product/f4-3600c19d-16gsxwb

yea well thats embarrassing slow for a 400€ board. And im not gonna buy a new and slower RAM-kit thats out of question. If its just the Board thats not supported im thinking more about getting rid of the board than buying a new RAM kit. Well i can still hope that Asus will add Memory support with future Bios updates while running my current KIT with lower bandwidth, which is still much faster than 3600CL19 though.

The reason i thought my board might be faulty is because ive never heard of someone rocking the formula without getting B-Die RAM stable to DDR-3600 with decent timings.

chevell65
Level 12
Yes for some reason most of the faster memory kits only list the Hero or the Apex but not the Formula, which at least partially explains why you couldn't get 3600 to work.

The fastest Trident Z RGB they show for your board is
F4-3200C14D-16GTZR

Although I don't believe you could tell the difference between CL 16 or 18.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Can you try the Maximus Tweak Modes and see if this helps, before buying another kit? Should be able to dial it in ok with a bit of work.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090