cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750 Laptop randomly shuts off if I don't have AC adapter in

Coffeya
Level 7
So I know it is not the battery because I bought a new one. What could be the issue? My ASUS G750 Laptop is about 4 to 6 years old and by touch it doesn't feel like it is overheating. Even thought the left side of the fan blows out hot air and right side blows out cool air (the orientation is when the laptop is open facing me). The last thing that I can think of that it might be is that gpu tweak is on. Any ideas... anyone?

Troubleshooting done:
1. changed battery
2. run virus check
3. works perfectly fine if I just leave the ac adapter in
4. when run on battery fully charged at 100% will randomly shut off within 1mins to 10mins.
5. Asus chat support is not responding at all to me right now
6. Temperature according to HWiNFO64 is between 50degrees celsius to 60degrees celsius

UPDATE:
7. not my brand new controller
8. not my multi usb hub
9. not the asus gpu tweaker
10. seems like it does it everytime I launch a game, so I uninstalled, then reinstalled the game, still does it, but when I have my ac adapter in it no longer does it.

CONCLUSION:
So at this point it must be some sort of hardware failure or/and dust. Does anybody else have any other clues?
3 REPLIES 3

chevell65
Level 12
GUP Tweak is questionable on certain systems. I would start by uninstalling it completely.

chevell65 wrote:
GUP Tweak is questionable on certain systems. I would start by uninstalling it completely.

The funny part is, I thought it was a safe program because asus gave it to us.

MrRuckus
Level 10
Gaming on battery is a bad idea. The Battery in these laptops is for like say web browsing or maybe netflix. GPU Tweak will run your GPU outside of recommended specs and require more power then the battery can provide. Asus is probably one of the better OEMs when it comes to keeping hardware cool, so a little overclocking most likely isnt going to cause any trouble, but on battery, you are making a bad situation worse. At that point you are drawing more power then the battery can supply. These laptops are not meant to game on while on battery, thats why the battery lasts 30-60mins while on battery. You're most likely damaging the battery due to the rapid discharging since its taking as much juice as it can to do so.

Desktop replacements like the G series are made to be plugged in at all times when gaming. Very capable machines, but you have a full size destop crammed into a laptop package. The battery can only take up so much of that space and you cant expect it to function like any other laptop while playing games.
(ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... 😞 )
MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72