cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Install Windows 7 on GL703GS-E5011

cluelessclient
Level 7
Hello, I recently purchased an Asus Rog Strix Scar Edition GL703GS-E5011 Laptop, which comes without SO. I must say I have a bit of experience with computers, but it's the first time I do a clean install through UEFI (care to say the laptop doesn't have an optical reader).

Prior to the purchase I already had a Windows 7 legit license, so I tried installing it through a bootable USB with a Win7 image using Rufus. At first it didn't recognise the device, but it eventually did somehow after changing the partition type of the USB (MBR/GPT). I have already read other threads of the same model and topic: pressing ESC to select a boot device, changing SATA mode altough I only had one option (AHCI) to choose from, disabling Safe Boot, and I can't even disable nor enable CSM mode because it's simply doesnt appear anywhere. My BIOS version is 301.

When it eventually did recognize the device as a bootable one, it moved on to a "Press any key to boot from CD/DVD" or something similar, but when I did press any key, it went on to the BIOS without really doing anything. I think I rearranged the USB again with MBR this time (I think), and it finally got to initiating loading windows packages and got to the "Starting Windows" part, but then it just always freezes, it doesn't even beging to load when it gets there.

At this point I'm not really sure what to do, or even if it's an issue of the USB device or the laptop itself, since the BIOS isn't really helping. Now I'm trying with another USB, but right now it still suffers to recognize it.

Edit: I tried with another USB on MBR and got the same problem: freezing on "Starting Windows".
15 REPLIES 15

xeromist
Windows 7 is not supported on 8th gen Intel processors.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:

Well that's extremely embarassing, sorry about that... It's 100% impossible to install Windows 7 then? Like, first another SO and then W7 somehow? Just to be curious now, I'll go with W10 anyways.

xeromist wrote:

Being not supported, doesn't mean it's not possible to install windows 7 on it.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?91391-Asus-GL552VW-drivers-for-Windows7-64-bit-How-to-coll...

There are many people who installed windows 7 on 8th generation Intel processors.

travalix wrote:
Being not supported, doesn't mean it's not possible to install windows 7 on it.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?91391-Asus-GL552VW-drivers-for-Windows7-64-bit-How-to-coll...

There are many people who installed windows 7 on 8th generation Intel processors.

Yes, as I mentioned above you may be able to work around it but it's not worth it. Not supported means you are on your own to get it working and if it breaks due to a driver update you are on your own to fix it.

The thread you linked is for a different notebook so it's not really relevant. Different hardware means different drivers which may not have a compatible Win 7 driver.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

If the problem is USB3 drivers, there's a workaround for that issue. There are tutorials on youtube on how to inject usb3 drivers on your windows 7 iso files. The big wall I'm facing right now is the other drivers, because on ASUS website - there's only support for windows 10.

xeromist
I don't know if you could work around it. You can do some Google research but it would likely be very hacky and might break easily. IMHO it's not worth the headache as Win10 is functional despite some issues.

If you really need Windows 7 for a particular application you can run it inside of a virtual machine but performance won't be as good as native.

xeromist wrote:
I don't know if you could work around it. You can do some Google research but it would likely be very hacky and might break easily. IMHO it's not worth the headache as Win10 is functional despite some issues.

If you really need Windows 7 for a particular application you can run it inside of a virtual machine but performance won't be as good as native.

Thank you! This is it then, it's good to know this all wasn't an actual issue but just a dumb question.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Out of curiosity why are some folks hung up on win7? If you are going back that far in an attempt to squash running services and such may as well go to win 2K server.
USB 3.0 is just the tip of the Iceberg on driver issues. A lot of other hardware in newer systems never had drivers for win 7 and never will leaving you to disable devices to run it.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Out of curiosity why are some folks hung up on win7? If you are going back that far in an attempt to squash running services and such may as well go to win 2K server.
USB 3.0 is just the tip of the Iceberg on driver issues. A lot of other hardware in newer systems never had drivers for win 7 and never will leaving you to disable devices to run it.

Well I have installed windows 7 on my GL703GM and it's the best thing that you can do to your laptop. windows 10 is just a spytool for microsoft..
it's not easy to install windows 7 to a uefi class 3 device (no csm support in bios)
BUT it's possible and rewarding when you see that your machine works like it should.