cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More than 1 ram stick give no display - Help please

AlienUpgrade88
Level 7
x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x .

Hi all, I have finished building up a pc in an relic of an Alienware case. However, when I put 4 sticks of ram in, or even just 2 sticks, I get no display. The 4 sticks were purchased all together as a kit.

Here is a spec of what I have.

Motherboard - ASUS P8P67 Deluxe with latest bios 3602
Intel I7-3770K cpu with Coolermaster EVO 212 on top
4 x G Skill Ripjaws DDR3 4GB 1600 MHz ram sticks
Asus Strix GTX 1050Ti 4gb
Vaseky 350GB SSD with Windows 10 OS. I can downgrade to Win 7 Pro, I have a disc if needed.
650W psu

I have tried all four ram sticks individually in slot 1, and all four register/seen in my computer. Slot 1 is furthest right side/towards front of pc case. I have also tried 1 stick in slots 2,3 and 4 each and all four slots register. This gives a display, pc boots as normal. But if I put more than 1 stick in, say slot 1 and 3, then I get no display. I read online it maybe a bios issue, and needs updating, but I checked on the ASUS website for the latest version, which is 3602, and the board has already been updated to 3602 anyway.

I resorted to buying a matched pair of Corsair Vengeance sticks, also 4gb each, 1600 MHz and these give the same result. 1 stick equals normal boot up with display. 2 sticks equals no display.

I am currently using my HTPC which also takes DDR3 ram, and have tried all the sticks in that, in pairs, and all come up 8GB. 2 x Corsair and 2 x 2 x G Skill.

I bought another motherboard, exact same model, ASUS P8P67 Deluxe, and connected everything the same way, and that also gives no display if using more than 1 ram stick, so all 6 sticks work, and all 6 sticks give the same no display if more than 1 stick is inserted at the same time in both boards.

Can anyone suggest what else to try please?
4 REPLIES 4

MENINBLK
Level 7
Hello AlienUpgrade88,

According to the Manual, page 2-5, DIMM_A2 is the first slot to fill and DIMM_B2 is the second slot to fill.
Followed by DIMM_A1 and DIMM_B1.

Try that and see how it works.

Pete...

Hi, I did that, I have tried multiple configs, but anymore than 1 stick keeps giving a blank screen. I can have 1 stick in either A1, or C1, and the display comes on, but if I put 1 in each of either A1 + B1, or C1 + D1, or what they're called, the screen remains blank.

AlienUpgrade88 wrote:
Hi, I did that, I have tried multiple configs, but anymore than 1 stick keeps giving a blank screen. I can have 1 stick in either A1, or C1, and the display comes on, but if I put 1 in each of either A1 + B1, or C1 + D1, or what they're called, the screen remains blank.

The ASUS P8P67 Deluxe only has 4 DIMM slots. DIMM_A1, DIMM_A2, DIMM_B1, DIMM_B2.
If you have a C bank and a D bank than you don't have an ASUS P8P67 Deluxe.

Pete...

chevell65
Level 12
The first potential problem is that these boards have only one clip on one side for the memory. Be sure to push the memory into the non clip side first 'all the way down' then push down on the other side until the clip closes. Install all 4 sticks this way then push the mem okay button until it starts blinking then let go and see if the system boots.

If it still only boots with one stick then boot it up with one stick in slot A2 and go into bios, set XMP for the memory which should set your timings, voltage and speed to spec for this memory, and see if it boots into windows. If it boots up then power down and install another stick into slot B2 and see if it boots. If it works then shut down and proceed to install the other two sticks.

If none of this works then inspect the CPU base for bent pins etc.