Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array Ken429 PC Specs
    Ken429 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Toshiba
    MotherboardROG Hero VII WI-FI
    Processor2700X
    Memory (part number)G.Skill (F4-3200C-14D-16GFX)
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Sound CardOnboard
    MonitorSamsung 36" UHD
    Storage #1Saamsung 970 500GB
    Storage #2Sandisk Extreme 256GB
    CPU CoolerEVGA CLC 280
    CaseCorsair 750D
    Power SupplySeasonic 1250XM
    Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4
    Mouse Logitech M510
    OS Windows 10 1903
    Network RouterTP-Link AC1200
    Accessory #1 TP-Link SG 1016 Switch
    Accessory #2 Arris SBV 3202

Hero VII/Ryzen 2700X very slow boot time

I bought the ASUS ROG Crosshair VII MB/2700X because of all the issues I had with the ASRock X370 Taichi/1700X system which I had to have a few days after it's release! I hoped that the second generation of the Ryzen stuff, especially with the AOG premium MB, would have put most of the problems in the past. I suppose it has except for the following:

The 2700X system takes ~45 seconds to boot to the first W10 splash screen. Task Manager>Startup says "Last BIOS Time 23.5 seconds".

The 1700X system takes ~27 seconds to boot to the first W10 splash screen. Task Manager>Startup says "Last BIOS Time 17.6 seconds".

By comparison, I have several ASRock Extreme6/4790K systems that boot to the W10 splash screen in ~15 seconds. Task Manager>Startup says "Last BIOS Time 10 seconds".

All of the systems have the latest BIOS's and are running the latest version of W10 Pro.

The 2700X is set to a 42 multiplier with pretty much everything else on Auto. It has 2X8GB of the G.Skill FlareX memory ( F4-3200C14D-16GFX) installed using the automatic MB "XMP" settings. The system runs Handbrake to convert Bluray disks to MP4 files and is very stable.

The 1700X system is set to a 38 multiplier with a Vcore of 1.36V. Everything else is on Auto. It has 2X8GB of EVGA 3000-15 memory installed that the MB sets to 2933-16. The system runs Handbrake to convert Bluray disks to MP4 files and is very stable.

So...what the heck am I doing wrong with the 2700X system that is takes ~45 seconds (most of that time is spent by the BIOS doing whatever) to boot. Help would be appreciated.

ROG Member Array Conenubi701 PC Specs
    Conenubi701 PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus ROG Crosshair VII
    ProcessorAMD R7 2700x
    Memory (part number)32GB F4-3200C14D-16GFX
    Graphics Card #1Asus ROG Strix OC Vega 64 (EKWB)
    Sound CardOn-Board
    MonitorNixeus
    Storage #1Samsung 850 EVO 120GB SSD / 850 EVO 500GB SSD
    Storage #2M.2 NVME 480GB / 120GB MX100 / WD 1tb
    CPU CoolerAlphacool Eisbaer 360
    CasePhanteks Eclipse 400
    Power SupplyCorsair RMx 850w
    Mouse Zowie EC2-B
    OS Microsoft Windows 10 x64

It's a new board. Same thing happened with the C6H early in it's lifespan until the BIOS matured through updates.

We still haven't gotten the 1.0.0.4 agesa update for Zen+ on the ROG boards so maybe that will help speed up boot times.

My old rig was a z97 Maximus Gene VII/4790k and that booted up nearly instantly, but that was after almost a year and a half of BIOS updates. When I initially bought it at release, it was really slow on boot running through the startup tests that the motherboard does.
    Last edited by Conenubi701; 07-21-2018 at 12:44 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array Ken429 PC Specs
    Ken429 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Toshiba
    MotherboardROG Hero VII WI-FI
    Processor2700X
    Memory (part number)G.Skill (F4-3200C-14D-16GFX)
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Sound CardOnboard
    MonitorSamsung 36" UHD
    Storage #1Saamsung 970 500GB
    Storage #2Sandisk Extreme 256GB
    CPU CoolerEVGA CLC 280
    CaseCorsair 750D
    Power SupplySeasonic 1250XM
    Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4
    Mouse Logitech M510
    OS Windows 10 1903
    Network RouterTP-Link AC1200
    Accessory #1 TP-Link SG 1016 Switch
    Accessory #2 Arris SBV 3202

Thanks for the reply. I just want to know that I'm not the only person with this MB and processor that is experiencing the long boot times. I had one of the first ASRock Tiachi X370 MB's and went through the "bi-weekly" BIOS updates but I don't remember it ever being as slow booting as the ROG Crosshair VII X470.

I thought maybe it was the FlareX memory that was causing the BIOS to sit and think for ~15-20 seconds and then re-think the situation for another ~10-15 seconds before booting W10.

Other than the boot time the system runs extremely well beating the 1700x system hands down on everything I've try to compare.

ROG Member Array Conenubi701 PC Specs
    Conenubi701 PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus ROG Crosshair VII
    ProcessorAMD R7 2700x
    Memory (part number)32GB F4-3200C14D-16GFX
    Graphics Card #1Asus ROG Strix OC Vega 64 (EKWB)
    Sound CardOn-Board
    MonitorNixeus
    Storage #1Samsung 850 EVO 120GB SSD / 850 EVO 500GB SSD
    Storage #2M.2 NVME 480GB / 120GB MX100 / WD 1tb
    CPU CoolerAlphacool Eisbaer 360
    CasePhanteks Eclipse 400
    Power SupplyCorsair RMx 850w
    Mouse Zowie EC2-B
    OS Microsoft Windows 10 x64

Yeah you're definitely not alone, I also have rather slow boot up times. It's the mobo going through the codes and once the circle loads up indicating that it's booting up the OS it immediately goes to W10.

I also use the Flare X kit.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array chevell65 PC Specs
    chevell65 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Strix Z370-H, ROG Maximus VII Z97
    ProcessorIntel 4790K 4.6GHz, Intel i5 8400, Intel e8600 Wolfdale, Intel Q9650 Yorkfield, Intel E6750 Conroe
    Memory (part number)16GB G.Skill PC3600
    Graphics Card #1GTX 660 OC
    MonitorAsus 23"
    CaseCorsair clear case
    Power SupplyThermaltake
    Keyboard Logitech G15
    Mouse Logitech G9
    OS Windows 10 Pro
    Network RouterDLink DIR-655, Asus AC88

Having CSM disabled is supposed to help boot times but you need to do that before installing the Op system.

ROG Enthusiast Array MattTheTech PC Specs
    MattTheTech PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Nothing Interesting
    MotherboardASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero
    ProcessorRyzen 9 3900x
    Memory (part number)3200C14D-16GFX (32GB Total)
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid
    Sound CardHT Omega eCLARO
    Monitor3 Wall Mounted-1x Samsung 55" 4K TV (Runs 1440p 120hz), 2x LG 32" 1080p
    Storage #1Samsung 970 Evo
    Storage #23x Samsung 850 Evo 512GB in Raid 0 For 1.5TB Array Game Drive + ZFS 30TB NAS/Server For Storage
    CPU CoolerEKWB Dual Custom Water Loop
    CaseModded Rosewill Evo Armor 2 (I know all reviews hated it, but after my Mods its been a GREAT CASE)
    Power SupplyCorsair RM1000i
    Keyboard Corsair RGB k70 Lux V2
    Mouse Logitech G700s
    Headset Oculus Rift
    Mouse Pad Razor Vespula
    Headset/Speakers 7.1 Custom Built Surround Sound System
    OS Win 10 Pro 64bit
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC1900p
    Accessory #1 10Gb Nic

Quote Originally Posted by Ken429 View Post
    I bought the ASUS ROG Crosshair VII MB/2700X because of all the issues I had with the ASRock X370 Taichi/1700X system which I had to have a few days after it's release! I hoped that the second generation of the Ryzen stuff, especially with the AOG premium MB, would have put most of the problems in the past. I suppose it has except for the following:

The 2700X system takes ~45 seconds to boot to the first W10 splash screen. Task Manager>Startup says "Last BIOS Time 23.5 seconds".

The 1700X system takes ~27 seconds to boot to the first W10 splash screen. Task Manager>Startup says "Last BIOS Time 17.6 seconds".

By comparison, I have several ASRock Extreme6/4790K systems that boot to the W10 splash screen in ~15 seconds. Task Manager>Startup says "Last BIOS Time 10 seconds".

All of the systems have the latest BIOS's and are running the latest version of W10 Pro.

The 2700X is set to a 42 multiplier with pretty much everything else on Auto. It has 2X8GB of the G.Skill FlareX memory ( F4-3200C14D-16GFX) installed using the automatic MB "XMP" settings. The system runs Handbrake to convert Bluray disks to MP4 files and is very stable.

The 1700X system is set to a 38 multiplier with a Vcore of 1.36V. Everything else is on Auto. It has 2X8GB of EVGA 3000-15 memory installed that the MB sets to 2933-16. The system runs Handbrake to convert Bluray disks to MP4 files and is very stable.

So...what the heck am I doing wrong with the 2700X system that is takes ~45 seconds (most of that time is spent by the BIOS doing whatever) to boot. Help would be appreciated.
    You definitly are not alone my friend. Like Conenubi701 said, it takes ASUS a bit to work out the BIOS issues on their new AMD Boards. On my 1600x and the Crosshair 6 Hero, At first it used to take 52 Seconds at BEST to get from Cold Boot to Login Screen, and that was WITH CSM Disabled, UEFI Boot. Now that same system on one of the newest BIOS boots in 12 Seconds.

Now with my new 2700x, My System takes about 45 seconds average to boot from Cold Boot to Login Screen, and its the same thing, CSM Disabled, no wait on Post. If last year is any indication, it will probably be until about October / November, until we get a BIOS that cuts that down to the Normal 15 Seconds. Whats funny is I am running a brand new Installation on a 970 Pro NVMe, and these are my boot times, but my HTPC system, which uses a 2400G and a bottom of the barrel ASUS B350 MA Mobo (Literally ASUS Cheapest B350 Board) and a 850 Evo SATA SSD boots in literally 12 Seconds from Cold Boot. Its kind of sad, but its understandable when you think about it.

That B350 Board has NO add on Bells or Whistles, just a few Sata Ports, 2 Ram Slots 1 PCIE Slot, and no features to speak of, so the BIOS is simple and clean, and it just boots fast because of it. Our C7H hero has Bells and Whistles up the A**, so Its no wonder it takes some time for them to streamline the process (Just wish AMD Gave them enough time to do that before it was released to the public, but thats just the nature of being an early adopter I guess)

P.S. Also wanted to add, that its not just ASUS dealing with the crazy boot times. The Board I bought at Launch was an MSI x470 Gaming M7 AC, I always buy ASUS, but had so many issues at launch with my C6H that I decided to take a chance on MSI this time, and while it actually was a great board overall, It sucks for PBO overclocking, because it has no Offset Voltage, so to hit good PBO Clocks, you were looking at 1.54v PLUS, which obviously was ridicolous. And if you set the VCore Manually, PBO wouldn't work Correctly, so because of this I ended up buying the C7H, and now I am getting 4.25Ghz All Core with PBO, and 4.475Ghz on up to 2 cores at at time for Lightly Threaded workloads, which is AMAZING.

Anyways, to get to the point, that board no matter which BIOS I used (Which there was only 2 to choose from by the way, they suck at Giving you updated BIOS, Launch Day, One in June, and thats it) Average Boot time was 68 Seconds, no lie, so at least this is an improvement. Not sure how Gigabytes flagship is doing this year, but last year I remember a bunch of people complaining at launch about their Gaming 7 Boot Times, so it might have more to do with AGESA then anything, but who knows. It will be fixed eventually. I'll shut up now, just know we feel your pain...
    Last edited by MattTheTech; 07-27-2018 at 05:43 AM. Reason: More rambling to do

ROG Enthusiast Array MattTheTech PC Specs
    MattTheTech PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Nothing Interesting
    MotherboardASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero
    ProcessorRyzen 9 3900x
    Memory (part number)3200C14D-16GFX (32GB Total)
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid
    Sound CardHT Omega eCLARO
    Monitor3 Wall Mounted-1x Samsung 55" 4K TV (Runs 1440p 120hz), 2x LG 32" 1080p
    Storage #1Samsung 970 Evo
    Storage #23x Samsung 850 Evo 512GB in Raid 0 For 1.5TB Array Game Drive + ZFS 30TB NAS/Server For Storage
    CPU CoolerEKWB Dual Custom Water Loop
    CaseModded Rosewill Evo Armor 2 (I know all reviews hated it, but after my Mods its been a GREAT CASE)
    Power SupplyCorsair RM1000i
    Keyboard Corsair RGB k70 Lux V2
    Mouse Logitech G700s
    Headset Oculus Rift
    Mouse Pad Razor Vespula
    Headset/Speakers 7.1 Custom Built Surround Sound System
    OS Win 10 Pro 64bit
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC1900p
    Accessory #1 10Gb Nic

Quote Originally Posted by chevell65 View Post
    Having CSM disabled is supposed to help boot times but you need to do that before installing the Op system.
    Hey Chevell65. Just letting you know, you do not have to disable CSM before Installing the OS, you can do that at any time you want, just as long as you install the OS under UEFI and not Legacy. But if you format your Install USB using NTFS and UEFI, and you forget to disable CSM before installing windows, thats totally fine, you can totally change it whenever you remember, and you will be fine, and you WILL boot faster because the BIOS doesn't have to load Legacy devices.

The only way this would ever become a problem is if you have installation Media (Whether its a USB Stick or DVD) that is capable of Installing both Legacy and UEFI, and you accidentally boot the installation Media as Legacy (Which is only possible with CSM turned on). If you boot to the Windows 10 or 7 CD or USB as Legacy, then it will install as MBR Legacy, and then thats what your Stuck with until you reinstall, so in that case disabling CSM afterwards would make you not be able to boot. But as long as your Mindful of this and you make sure your Media Boots UEFI when installing, then you will be fine to disable CSM later. Just figured I would let you give you that info for the future. Have a great Week!

ROG Member Array

there's also fast boot/fast startup in bios and windows, i think that makes the most difference in startup times.
    not that i would recommend it, it has it's issues (restart is not really a restart, WOL doesn't work etc).

ROG Enthusiast Array

CH7 + 2700X + 16GB FlareX kitt, first time i boot i did take +- 8 seconds to enter W10 Enterprise 10586.

No updates, and full of mods to turn off updates, telemtry, etc,etc...

Now, take a little more due installs and programs, but i consider this normal...

New ROGer Array

Same long delay before BIOS splash screen

Quote Originally Posted by Ken429 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I just want to know that I'm not the only person with this MB and processor that is experiencing the long boot times. I had one of the first ASRock Tiachi X370 MB's and went through the "bi-weekly" BIOS updates but I don't remember it ever being as slow booting as the ROG Crosshair VII X470.

I thought maybe it was the FlareX memory that was causing the BIOS to sit and think for ~15-20 seconds and then re-think the situation for another ~10-15 seconds before booting W10.

Other than the boot time the system runs extremely well beating the 1700x system hands down on everything I've try to compare.
    You are not alone. I had the same issue with my previous Hero VII / Ryzen 2700X motherboard on top of other unrelated issues. ASUS recommended a board change and I just installed the same model replacement board with identical long delay before I get the BIOS splash screen. My BIOS time was 26.5 seconds on initial bootup. Hopefully the other issues are cleared.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast