cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hero VII/Ryzen 2700X very slow boot time

Ken429
Level 7
I bought the ASUS ROG Crosshair VII MB/2700X because of all the issues I had with the ASRock X370 Taichi/1700X system which I had to have a few days after it's release! I hoped that the second generation of the Ryzen stuff, especially with the AOG premium MB, would have put most of the problems in the past. I suppose it has except for the following:

The 2700X system takes ~45 seconds to boot to the first W10 splash screen. Task Manager>Startup says "Last BIOS Time 23.5 seconds".

The 1700X system takes ~27 seconds to boot to the first W10 splash screen. Task Manager>Startup says "Last BIOS Time 17.6 seconds".

By comparison, I have several ASRock Extreme6/4790K systems that boot to the W10 splash screen in ~15 seconds. Task Manager>Startup says "Last BIOS Time 10 seconds".

All of the systems have the latest BIOS's and are running the latest version of W10 Pro.

The 2700X is set to a 42 multiplier with pretty much everything else on Auto. It has 2X8GB of the G.Skill FlareX memory ( F4-3200C14D-16GFX) installed using the automatic MB "XMP" settings. The system runs Handbrake to convert Bluray disks to MP4 files and is very stable.

The 1700X system is set to a 38 multiplier with a Vcore of 1.36V. Everything else is on Auto. It has 2X8GB of EVGA 3000-15 memory installed that the MB sets to 2933-16. The system runs Handbrake to convert Bluray disks to MP4 files and is very stable.

So...what the heck am I doing wrong with the 2700X system that is takes ~45 seconds (most of that time is spent by the BIOS doing whatever) to boot. Help would be appreciated.
41 REPLIES 41

Conenubi701
Level 7
It's a new board. Same thing happened with the C6H early in it's lifespan until the BIOS matured through updates.

We still haven't gotten the 1.0.0.4 agesa update for Zen+ on the ROG boards so maybe that will help speed up boot times.

My old rig was a z97 Maximus Gene VII/4790k and that booted up nearly instantly, but that was after almost a year and a half of BIOS updates. When I initially bought it at release, it was really slow on boot running through the startup tests that the motherboard does.

Thanks for the reply. I just want to know that I'm not the only person with this MB and processor that is experiencing the long boot times. I had one of the first ASRock Tiachi X370 MB's and went through the "bi-weekly" BIOS updates but I don't remember it ever being as slow booting as the ROG Crosshair VII X470.

I thought maybe it was the FlareX memory that was causing the BIOS to sit and think for ~15-20 seconds and then re-think the situation for another ~10-15 seconds before booting W10.

Other than the boot time the system runs extremely well beating the 1700x system hands down on everything I've try to compare.

Ken429 wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I just want to know that I'm not the only person with this MB and processor that is experiencing the long boot times. I had one of the first ASRock Tiachi X370 MB's and went through the "bi-weekly" BIOS updates but I don't remember it ever being as slow booting as the ROG Crosshair VII X470.

I thought maybe it was the FlareX memory that was causing the BIOS to sit and think for ~15-20 seconds and then re-think the situation for another ~10-15 seconds before booting W10.

Other than the boot time the system runs extremely well beating the 1700x system hands down on everything I've try to compare.

You are not alone. I had the same issue with my previous Hero VII / Ryzen 2700X motherboard on top of other unrelated issues. ASUS recommended a board change and I just installed the same model replacement board with identical long delay before I get the BIOS splash screen. My BIOS time was 26.5 seconds on initial bootup. Hopefully the other issues are cleared.

This is funny. I was just about to post about this. I have a Gigabyte Gaming 5 running right next to my C7H. I hit the power buttons on both and notice about 6 seconds difference in the boot times. Just getting to POST is slower on the C7H. I was actually not going to say anything as I'm using the NVME raid and figure it might have some added delay - even though it's super fast. I hope Asus keeps working on this. I abandoned my last MB manufacturer due to lack of fixing all the issues.

I haven't timed mine but it feels like eternity going from cold boot to turning on. Once it's on though it runs fine enough.

Well it's now October and the last BIOS update (0804) was in July. The boot time on the system is still very..... slow. I keep hoping that ASUS will release a BIOS that boots faster - but I'm pretty much losing hope. Therefore, I just leave the system on 24-7 and let it sleep a lot! Any sign of a new BIOS release out there?

Ken429 wrote:
Well it's now October and the last BIOS update (0804) was in July. The boot time on the system is still very..... slow. I keep hoping that ASUS will release a BIOS that boots faster - but I'm pretty much losing hope. Therefore, I just leave the system on 24-7 and let it sleep a lot! Any sign of a new BIOS release out there?

v1001 is out. Did you tried it?

Ken429 wrote:

Seems like every Forum has someone who has to re-state the obvious!

But...I still get annoyed every time I reboot an AMD system (Taichi/1700X and Hero VII/2700X) and it takes twice as long to boot than similar Intel systems (Extreme Z97/4790K, Extreme4/2600K etc., etc.). By twice as long I mean ~40 seconds vs <20 seconds. AMD has come out with some great new processors, thank you, now if they could just get the BIOS to boot faster.

Ken429 wrote:
Seems like every Forum has someone who has to re-state the obvious!

But...I still get annoyed every time I reboot an AMD system (Taichi/1700X and Hero VII/2700X) and it takes twice as long to boot than similar Intel systems (Extreme Z97/4790K, Extreme4/2600K etc., etc.). By twice as long I mean ~40 seconds vs <20 seconds. AMD has come out with some great new processors, thank you, now if they could just get the BIOS to boot faster.

Ive ran my setup in RAID (SATA) and AHCI (single) and the boot problem for me only manifests itself when Im running RAID (SATA) there seems to be a slowdown on the bootcode 92 (BIOS DATA TABLE CHECK)http://www.bioscentral.com/postcodes/amibios.htm it sits there for about 20 sec then progresses to 99>0d>windows.

This is not present in AHCI mode. fast boot works as intended
CSM>>>disabled
Boot config > 1 sec
UEFI secure boot >>> enabled & seckeys installed.

Hope this helps