cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with Asus ROG Rampage IV Extreme Motherboard and I7 4930k support/flashing

Onlymeoni
Level 7
Long story short, I had to get the motherboard Rma'd they replaced it instead of repairing it and once I got it back all I had was the same 4930k when I tried to use it the computer would boot up but wouldn't post and I couldn't get it to bios somewhat similar to what everyone else had posted about it. Well I was on the fence for months about just selling the board and moving on to a new build since I wasn't having any luck. Well I needed a way to test it and see if it was even operational before I sold it and managed to win an auction on eBay for a 3820 fairly cheap. I installed the processor and voila it booted up. I checked the bios and everything and it seemed to be up to date but when I tried again to install the processor same issue except instead of a single code I was getting a different codes instead of just the same code I think it was 32 ? After browsing the forum I see that some people said you needed another processor anyways in order for you to be able to fully flash it to use the ivy. So I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction of where I can find information on what to do, or if someone knows and can help me. What steps should I take or what is the process. I would greatly appreciate any help. I have worked on computers for a while and so I am fairly familiar with everything except for over clocking or for that matter a board like this with so many options/settings/buttons lol. I would really appreciate it. I do have another computer here so once someone is able to help me I can do it step by step and report back progress. Thanks again for any and all help!
Mike
10 REPLIES 10

Onlymeoni
Level 7
Anybody? Id really appreciate it!

Rob_W_
Level 12
Could you list your spec?
Will be easier to help.*

At the moment I am using that I7 3820 to get the board going, a Evga Gtx 980 ti sc, and trident x 16gb 2x8 pc3 17000 2133mhz and a evga sn 1200 watt psu I believe and a 500gb samsung ssd. I was thinking maybe try swapping ram for a gskill 32gb 4 stick kit that I have but I wasnt sure what else needed to be done on/to the motherboard to make sure it was ready to use the processor. I work 3rd shift and I got off a few hours ago so Im about to lay down thank you for even responding any help is greatly appreciated 😄

Bump before bed, I know someone has to know. I tried messaging contributors in other threads regarding somewhat similar issues who seemed to know what to do about it but there inboxes were full. Damn me and my old ass equipment XD Granted this 3820 does fine streaming and playing all the games I want to with all my components in here I would just like to utilize this other processor that has alot more potential.
thanks again

Any help? Suggestions? Should I buy a boat?

Rob_W_
Level 12
Not too familiar with r4e but I would try flashing bios when you install the 4930k even though it is the same bios ( 4901 I think)
I don’t see your ram kit on the qvl? Could be this that’s causing a problem in connection with the 4930k and not with the 3820? As some cpu’s Struggle to handle certain ram,
Have you tried that cpu in a different machine recently? It May be dead?
If you have dual bios on that board ? Switch to the second one and try again.*
Sorry I can’t help more but I would certainly get the *4930k checked out!*
*Ps. There is a thread on here recently on how to correctly flash the bios,

Thanks for the ideas/advice. I am going to try and switch the ram out as well since I saw something about quad channel and the gskill ram I have is 4 sticks but wasnt sure if that would be a huge factor since before I had to ship it off to asus It was using corsair vengance 2133 ram but I had 4 sticks in it. Unfortunatelyits the lga2011 so there isnt really to many places around me that have that type of board well none that Ive called I should say that could test it. The boards bios are flashed already I had just seen where a few people have said that there is an additional step to take inroder to complete it all to use the 4930k but they just didnt elaborate what it was. I also thought the chip could be dead but I when I install it I am getting different codes which makes me believe that some other step needs to be done.

Rob_W_
Level 12
Hi 0nlymeoni.
*Here’s a long shot idea, but try the other ram first, if that fails then,,
As the system boots with the 3820 then load that one and go into bios, load defaults, then set dram voltage to 1.35v (GSkill ram), go into dram timing and slacken the timings by 1 ( if 16,16,16,36 then set to 17,17,17,38).
F10 and enter, as soon as you get to the bios option again power down and swap cpu for the 4930k and reboot.
I believe the bios settings should stick (same bios)and that way you will be booting it with optimised defaults but with the ram at 1.35v it’s rated voltage and the relaxed settings.
I would think doing it that way will enable you to adjust bios settings ready for the 4930k should you need to up its voltage as well? In your situation it’s what I would try.
It’s nagging at me that it could be a dead cpu but this way might help prove it, one way or the other.****

EDIT: may have just found something, if your board came with bios 1404 or older then it needs flashing with the ‘ bios converter’ which can be found on the ASUs site under downloads/bios, has full instructions, then you can flash to the latest.*

Well I tried switching the memory and then the processor, If I boot it I get 32 as the error code IF I do the button by the pherial connection on the motherboard by the back it cycles thru but then gos to error 59. I tried to reset the cmos with the button next to the rog update button and I got no luck. I ended up getting frustrated with it and just put my 3820 back in so I didnt flip out while my daughters here LOL I may try harder/more on saturday night when I have time to fool with it.
thanks again for your suggestions