DJLTY PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Rampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorIntel i9 7940X
    Memory (part number)Corsair Vengeance RGB 128gb 3000mhz
    Graphics Card #1Founders Nvidia RTX 2080Ti on EK Velocity waterblock
    MonitorAlienware 34in 3440x1440 120hz
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro 512gb & 2tb
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 2tb
    CPU CoolerEK Rampage 6E monoblock, EK Coolstream PE 360, SE 360, & Bitspower Leviathan SF360, EK D5 pump/res
    CaseLian Li PC-011 Dynamic
    Power SupplyEVGA Supernova 1300w
    Keyboard Corsair K70 Mk.2
    Mouse SteelSeries Rival 500
    Headset Steelseries Siberia 800, Bose QC 35, Sony 1000XM2, Cowin E9, Audio Technica M50X
    Mouse Pad SteelSeries QcK XXL mousepad
    Headset/Speakers Google Home Max
    OS Win 10
    Network RouterASUS Router

Rampage 6E super high PCH temps, possible cause of BSOD?

Hey,

Enjoying my Rampage 6 extreme, but recently I'm running into problems with BSODs. First, I thought it was when I flashed the 1401 BIOS, but after setting everything to default stock and seeing the PCH temps still skyrocket, I'm not sure what to do. First here's my specs:

i9 7490X
    R6E
    128gb Corsair vengeance ram
    512gb Samsung 960 pro in slot under armor (near PCIE lanes)
    2tb Samsung 960 pro in side m.2 DIMM
    Another sata SSD & a regular HDD
    Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080Ti
    EVGA Supernova 1300w psu
    Asus Thunderbolt 3 PCIe card
    EK Supremacy EVO cpu block with coolstream 360 rad and a D5@max
    6 fans in a Corsair 540 air case so no airflow issues

When my 512gb 960 was in the m.2 slot under the board cover, I thought maybe the heat was transferring. AIDA64 was saying my PCH Diode temp crawled up to almost 80 degrees, and noticed even after flashing 1201, 1301 or now on 1401 BIOS, it didn't matter. I took the m.2 out and moved it to the DIMM m.2 slot, and left my case open, and now things are down to 70 on the diode at idle. This is still very high compared to what I've looked up online, where people saying their's are in the 50's max and over 80 is getting near critical.

I'm reading about this and thinking it could possibly be the thermal pad or paste on the diode, but, I've honestly never had this problem before in years of builds. My biggest questions are, A) will new paste even do anything, & B) will it void the warranty? The board is only about 6 months old, and with it being a full water build it's a pain in the ass to tear down. I'd also hate to void the warranty and get stuck with a $650 overheating board. I'll be emailing ASUS rep for the warranty question, since these are enthusiast boards so I don't know if they care about people tinkering.

Or is the PCH getting that high not even a problem? I'm not sure why I've been having some constant BSODs, and now it seems fine. I'm so confused.

Any help would be great! Thanks

AS185
    So at first, the PC was overclocked and then you set it to default values. Now the temperature's are too high.
    It seem's that the overclocked has affected your motherboard and some setting's can't be reverted. I had an Rampage II Extreme a while ago, overclocked, everything was working fine for about a couple months however I had to set back to default values because the cpu settings started going crazy. But once I changed to default values, the cpu was never the same. Although I didn't experience high motherboard temperatures. I do remember experiencing BSOD's.
    Can I ask you, why did you overclock a top of the line system like that?

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Menthol PC Specs
    Menthol PC Specs
    MotherboardM 10 Apex / XI gene
    Processor8700K / 9900K
    Memory (part number)2x8 Gskill Trident Z 4266/2x2x8 Gskill Trident Z 4500
    Graphics Card #1RTX 2080ti / GTX 1060
    Sound CardSoundBlaster Ae5 / Onboard
    MonitorBENQ 32" 4K
    Storage #1Intel 900p 480GB/Samsung 960 Pro 1TB
    Storage #2Intel 750 1.2TB/Plextor 1 TB 2X 950 Pro
    CPU CoolerCorsair H150i AIO / H1110i
    CaseCorsair 740 ? Lian Li Air
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1200i / AX 1200i
    Keyboard Corsair
    Mouse ASUS Strix
    Headset HyperX Cloud Alpha
    Mouse Pad ASUS
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z906
    OS 10 X64 Pro
    Network RouterVerizon Fios
    Accessory #1 Intel Wifi BT pcie card
    Accessory #2 Red Bull
    Accessory #3 English Breakfast Tea

As for BSOD's, could be a Windows update, some people have experienced similar issues with TB3 cards installed.

As for PCH temps, not having that particular board I do not know what is common but that does sound high to me, but it is more than likely lack of airflow directly onto the PC heatsink

When you changed to default values did you clear CMOS using the button on the rear I/O panel, sometimes all bios values will not set to default without a full clear CMOS