cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the maximum HYPER M.2 X16 CARD we can use in 1 motherboard

danone
Level 7
Hi guys,
I need some serious recommendation. I know Intel VROC supports 20x m.2 ssd's. How can you use 20 m.2 ssd's If x299 only support 2x ASUS HYPER M.2 X16 CARD which makes 8x m.2 ssd's inside.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3199104/storage/intels-core-i9-and-x299-enable-crazy-raid-configurat...

It is because I9 7900 cpu has only 44 pci-e lane and maximum ssd's you would use is 11. Is there any other way to use more hdd's for raid more than 11 m.2's ?

I found beautiful ASUS mainboard WS C621E SAGE I choose 2x intel 4110 xeon cpu combine 80 lanes, guess what (HYPER M.2 X16 CARD) doesn't support ASUS WS C621E SAGE therefore this option is also out of question

any ideas ?
26 REPLIES 26

G75rog
Level 10
The R6E might be able to do 2 Hypers and a crippled X8 GPU.

The R6A can do 1 and a half (2 drives) Hypers and a crippled X8 GPU.

I use a non raid Apex with 4 drives on the MB plus 4 on a Hyper totaling 14TB and a X16 GPU at max performance.

Thanks for your answer.
I am not fuss about games I will possibly install usb to vga port to have graphic interface to not use any pci-e lane. This will be more server, I need to use intel Vroc raid 10 and fast SSDd's such as 600p intel which no compatible issue with asus ssd 16x hyper cards.

Do you think R6E can run 3x hyper ssd with 11x M.2 ? Do you also suggest that is there any fastest port I can use for m.2 ssd whether with adaptor or not that should not be pci-e since I maxed out pci-e by using 11ss's total 44 lanes. I asked these question on asus support page but yet didn't receive any answer.
thank you.

GhostWorks
Level 9
I have the R6E , my one Hyper 16x is the non NVMe and the other is the NVMe version , I hope I can make the non NVMe version 8x with only 2 m.2 or will 8x be fast enough to handle 4x SATA m.2 ( non NVMe m.2**) ? So the GPU can still run on 16x

In my PCIe front am hoping to have 1 GPU running at 16x
ASUS Thumderboltex 3 card is high is 4x
ASUS Hyper 16x NVMe at 16x with fully populated Samsung 970 Evo raid 0
ASUS Hyper 16x non-NVMe at 8x *with non-NVMe SATA m.2*

Hope all will work *
Corsair 900D

G75rog
Level 10
The Hyper X16 does NOT do SATA. The Hyper X16 supplies 4 pcie lanes to each pcie nvme ssd mounted on it provided the MB is using a 44 lane cpu.

GhostWorks
Level 9
There is 2 versions of the hyper card one is NVMe newer version , I by accident bought the non NVMe version so
Ordered the NVMe one , seeing if I can use both *
Corsair 900D

G75rog
Level 10
Whatever floats your boat. Waiting for the V2 version with improved power to land on distributor shelves.

GhostWorks
Level 9
That’s the one I got coming*
Corsair 900D

G75rog
Level 10
The V2? Who did you order from?

G75rog wrote:
The V2? Who did you order from?

That would be the same place that sells the non NVME version. **

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein