Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    3

    Installing Windows 10 on M.2, Asus Maximus X Hero z370

    Hi Everyone!

    I am building my first PC in many years, and, while I have full confidence in putting it together, my greatest concern is installing the OS, and I was wondering if I could get some guidance from the Gurus here. All of my parts are in hand, and I am planning assembly soon.

    First, relevant specs
    Asus ROG Maximus X *Hero Z370 mobo
    Intel I7 8700k
    Samsung 960 EVO m.2 nVme 500GB (OS to be installed on this drive)
    Gtx 1070TI
    16GB Corsair Vengence LPX DDR4-3000
    Windows 10 64bit (I have a key, no disc or USB, but I can burn an ISO if needed)

    Questions:
    1) After assembling the PC, and getting it to post, should I update to the latest BIOS before installing Windows 10? Is this standard practice? I’ve heard the stock bios is pretty aggressive with the voltage on the CPU (I’ve read the manual, this seems easy enough to do)
    2) What is the easiest way to install Windows 10 onto the m.2 drive? (Caveat- I have done too much forum reading and watched too many videos about this.. DVD iso? Bootable UEFI USB ? Clone from my storage HDD? What is gpt? CSM? What do I need to do in the BIOS before I install it?
    3) Is there a detailed step by step for this?*


    I’m pretty sure I have just over thought this, like I said, I’ve read too much and I just see all of these things that have to be done to install Windows onto the m.2drive. My build wasn’t planning in using a DVD drive, but I can hook on up out of my existing rig easily enough. If using the DVD is the easiest way, I’ll so that. Is it really complicated to do this?

    Any guidance you guys can give me would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance!
    Full build here:*https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/hjkF4q
    Last edited by ArbiterX; 07-26-2018 at 10:00 AM.

  2. #2
    ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Menthol PC Specs
    Menthol PC Specs
    MotherboardM 10 Apex / XI gene
    Processor8700K / 9900K
    Memory (part number)2x8 Gskill Trident Z 4266/2x2x8 Gskill Trident Z 4500
    Graphics Card #1RTX 2080ti / GTX 1060
    Sound CardSoundBlaster Ae5 / Onboard
    MonitorBENQ 32" 4K
    Storage #1Intel 900p 480GB/Samsung 960 Pro 1TB
    Storage #2Intel 750 1.2TB/Plextor 1 TB 2X 950 Pro
    CPU CoolerCorsair H150i AIO / H1110i
    CaseCorsair 740 ? Lian Li Air
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1200i / AX 1200i
    Keyboard Corsair
    Mouse ASUS Strix
    Headset HyperX Cloud Alpha
    Mouse Pad ASUS
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z906
    OS 10 X64 Pro
    Network RouterVerizon Fios
    Accessory #1 Intel Wifi BT pcie card
    Accessory #2 Red Bull
    Accessory #3 English Breakfast Tea
    Menthol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Reputation
    241
    Posts
    4,547

    It is not necessary to update your bios before installing windows, but would be a good idea to update as soon as possible.
    The easiest way to install Windows is from USB drive, Microsoft has a tool to download the latest version and burn it to a USB drive.
    You will not have to change any bios settings to install Windows 10, just hit F8 key during boot to bring up boot menu, select USB drive with UEFI prefix and Install Windows to your drive. Best to only have the drive you are installing Windows on connected then install any other drives after Windows is installed.

    You can change bios setting to CSM disabled after install.

  3. #3
    ROG Member Array RLGL123 PC Specs
    RLGL123 PC Specs
    MotherboardPrime Z370-A
    ProcessorIntel i7 8700K
    Graphics Card #1GTX 970
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Evo 500G
    Keyboard Logitech
    Mouse Logitech
    OS Win 10 Pro
    Network RouterRT-AC 86U

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    7

    Make sure the M.2 is formatted with the GPT partition table

  4. #4
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    3

    Quote Originally Posted by RLGL123 View Post
    Make sure the M.2 is formatted with the GPT partition table
    Hi. See unfortunately these types of comments on various forms are the reasons I am getting nervous with this install. What does this mean? At what step do I do this? Could you extrapolate?*

  5. #5
    ROG Member Array Alcasczar PC Specs
    Alcasczar PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus Q series 12gb ram 500gb ssd
    MotherboardMaximus X Code / Hero
    ProcessorINTEL I7 8700K (delided)
    Memory (part number)Corsair Vengeance 32gb
    Graphics Card #1ROG Strix 1080-GTX-TI
    Sound CardOn board realtek / logitech G933
    MonitorROG PG278QR
    Storage #1SAMSUNG EVO 500GB
    Storage #2SAMSUNG EVO 960 1TB M.2 PCIEX4 (GAMING DISK)
    CPU CoolerCooler Master ML360R
    CaseCoolermaster C700M
    Power SupplyCoolerMaster V1200
    Keyboard Corsair K95 Pro RGB
    Mouse Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB
    Headset Logitech G933 Wireless
    Mouse Pad Corsair M800 Polaris
    Network RouterAsus AC-3100

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    19

    Quote Originally Posted by ArbiterX View Post
    Hi. See unfortunately these types of comments on various forms are the reasons I am getting nervous with this install. What does this mean? At what step do I do this? Could you extrapolate?*
    You can format the M.2 during the step to install Windows. Here is a link to a little guide too that can help

    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...artition-style

  6. #6
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by ArbiterX View Post
    Hi Everyone!

    I am building my first PC in many years, and, while I have full confidence in putting it together, my greatest concern is installing the OS, and I was wondering if I could get some guidance from the Gurus here. All of my parts are in hand, and I am planning assembly soon.

    First, relevant specs
    Asus ROG Maximus X *Hero Z370 mobo
    Intel I7 8700k
    Samsung 960 EVO m.2 nVme 500GB (OS to be installed on this drive)
    Gtx 1070TI
    16GB Corsair Vengence LPX DDR4-3000
    Windows 10 64bit (I have a key, no disc or USB, but I can burn an ISO if needed)

    Questions:
    1) After assembling the PC, and getting it to post, should I update to the latest BIOS before installing Windows 10? Is this standard practice? I’ve heard the stock bios is pretty aggressive with the voltage on the CPU (I’ve read the manual, this seems easy enough to do)
    2) What is the easiest way to install Windows 10 onto the m.2 drive? (Caveat- I have done too much forum reading and watched too many videos about this.. DVD iso? Bootable UEFI USB ? Clone from my storage HDD? What is gpt? CSM? What do I need to do in the BIOS before I install it?
    3) Is there a detailed step by step for this?*


    I’m pretty sure I have just over thought this, like I said, I’ve read too much and I just see all of these things that have to be done to install Windows onto the m.2drive. My build wasn’t planning in using a DVD drive, but I can hook on up out of my existing rig easily enough. If using the DVD is the easiest way, I’ll so that. Is it really complicated to do this?

    Any guidance you guys can give me would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance!
    Full build here:*https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/hjkF4q
    Reinstalling the bios should help. I had a similar problem.

  7. #7
    ROG Member Array leader.desslock PC Specs
    leader.desslock PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus ROG Maximus X Formula BIOS 1602
    ProcessorIntel Core i7 8086k
    Memory (part number)Ballistix Tactical 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 UDIMM
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC2 GAMING, 08G-P4-6573-KR, 8GB GDDR5, iCX
    Sound Cardon board
    MonitorAsus V247
    Storage #1SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 500GB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe 1.3 64L V-NAND 3-bit MLC Internal Solid State Dri
    Storage #2Western Digital 2Tb Black SATA 6
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15 SSO2 D-Type Premium CPU Cooler, NF-A15 x 2 PWM Fans
    CaseCooler Master HAF X
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 220-G2-0750-XR 80+ GOLD 750W
    Keyboard Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000
    Mouse ASUS Evolve
    Mouse Pad Kensington ergonomic
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Speakers
    OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Retail
    Accessory #1 Western Digital My Passport 4Tb
    Accessory #2 Seagate Expansion 1Tb

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    13

    Hi

    I am interested in this thread. How does one know if one has the correct uEFI/GPT settings once the install is finished?

    Thanks
    leader.desslock

  8. #8
    ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array NemesisChild PC Specs
    NemesisChild PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Maximus X Hero (WI-FI AC)
    ProcessorIntel i7 8700K
    Memory (part number)G.Skill F4-3600C16D-16GTZR
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti FE
    Graphics Card #2Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti FE
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 970 PRO 512GB NVMe M.2
    Storage #2WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache
    CPU CoolerNZXT Kraken X42
    CaseCooler Master HAF 932 Advanced
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
    Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech G703 Wireless
    Headset Logitech G Pro
    Mouse Pad SteelSeries
    OS Windows 10 Home x64 (UEFI)
    Network RouterLinksys WRT1900AC
    NemesisChild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Reputation
    89
    Posts
    1,783

    Quote Originally Posted by leader.desslock View Post
    Hi

    I am interested in this thread. How does one know if one has the correct uEFI/GPT settings once the install is finished?

    Thanks
    leader.desslock
    https://www.easyuefi.com/resource/check-mbr-or-gpt.html
    Intel i7 8700K@ 5.2GHz (Delidded)
    ASUS Maximus X Hero (Bios 1801)
    NZXT Kraken X42
    G.Skill TridentZ@ 4000MHz CL16 2x8GB
    SLI: 2x Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti FE@ 2025/2025MHz
    OS: Samsung 970 PRO 512GB NVMe M.2
    Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVMe M.2
    Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
    Storage: WD Black 7200 RPM 64MB Cache 2TB
    EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced

  9. #9
    ROG Member Array leader.desslock PC Specs
    leader.desslock PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus ROG Maximus X Formula BIOS 1602
    ProcessorIntel Core i7 8086k
    Memory (part number)Ballistix Tactical 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 UDIMM
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC2 GAMING, 08G-P4-6573-KR, 8GB GDDR5, iCX
    Sound Cardon board
    MonitorAsus V247
    Storage #1SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 500GB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe 1.3 64L V-NAND 3-bit MLC Internal Solid State Dri
    Storage #2Western Digital 2Tb Black SATA 6
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15 SSO2 D-Type Premium CPU Cooler, NF-A15 x 2 PWM Fans
    CaseCooler Master HAF X
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 220-G2-0750-XR 80+ GOLD 750W
    Keyboard Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000
    Mouse ASUS Evolve
    Mouse Pad Kensington ergonomic
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Speakers
    OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Retail
    Accessory #1 Western Digital My Passport 4Tb
    Accessory #2 Seagate Expansion 1Tb

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    13

    Thanks NemesisChild

    Thanks

  10. #10
    ROG Member Array leader.desslock PC Specs
    leader.desslock PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus ROG Maximus X Formula BIOS 1602
    ProcessorIntel Core i7 8086k
    Memory (part number)Ballistix Tactical 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 UDIMM
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC2 GAMING, 08G-P4-6573-KR, 8GB GDDR5, iCX
    Sound Cardon board
    MonitorAsus V247
    Storage #1SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 500GB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe 1.3 64L V-NAND 3-bit MLC Internal Solid State Dri
    Storage #2Western Digital 2Tb Black SATA 6
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15 SSO2 D-Type Premium CPU Cooler, NF-A15 x 2 PWM Fans
    CaseCooler Master HAF X
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 220-G2-0750-XR 80+ GOLD 750W
    Keyboard Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000
    Mouse ASUS Evolve
    Mouse Pad Kensington ergonomic
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Speakers
    OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Retail
    Accessory #1 Western Digital My Passport 4Tb
    Accessory #2 Seagate Expansion 1Tb

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    13

    You can also use the command line tool diskpart

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •