cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sata ports not working on x99-a motherboard

Chok_Ice
Level 7
Its weird, sometimes they will work, sometimes the same sata port wont work, or a HDD partition will go missing
e.g
Drive 1 - Samsung 850 PRO
DRIVE 2- CRITUAL MX300
DRIVE 3- CRUTIAL BX300
DRIVE 4 - Some old crappy HDD

drive 1&2 always work, they are plugged into sata express

but drive 3 and 4 are plugged into the normal sata 3 ports and either drive 3 will go missing and drive 4 will apear
or drive 3 will show up and one off the partitions from drive 4 will go missing

i have only been using this motherboard since February.. and this problem was going on before the meltdown spectre bios update i think

sometimes the drive will only let me access it if i turn on IDE

and another block off sata ports JUST DONT WORK AT ALL...........
Only sata express works properly,
This isnt a windows thing because they go missing during post/bios
6 REPLIES 6

Retired
Not applicable
I'm assuming that sata express is some built in function from the BIOS after enabling/disabling it?
If so, plug in all the SSD's & the crappy old hdd, using basic sata command (AHCI) or in your BIOS, disabling your sata express.

AS185 wrote:
I'm assuming that sata express is some built in function from the BIOS after enabling/disabling it?
If so, plug in all the SSD's & the crappy old hdd, using basic sata command (AHCI) or in your BIOS, disabling your sata express.

Why would i want to disable the sata express ports
it should be working with them enabled

Retired
Not applicable

I checked your motherboard manual. From my understanding, this m/b can only support one SATA Express device or 2 sata devices. SATA6G_5, which in this case is a standard port and SATA6G_6 being the express port. Try placing an SSD into the SATA6G_6 port without the remaining components, boot into BIOS and check if it's displayed. Eventually, add one by one existing components and booting into BIOS to observe what's happening.
Did you try plugging all of the components into standard SATA ports? Did everything show up in BIOS as according to the connection?

AS185 wrote:

I checked your motherboard manual. From my understanding, this m/b can only support one SATA Express device or 2 sata devices. SATA6G_5, which in this case is a standard port and SATA6G_6 being the express port. Try placing an SSD into the SATA6G_6 port without the remaining components, boot into BIOS and check if it's displayed. Eventually, add one by one existing components and booting into BIOS to observe what's happening.
Did you try plugging all of the components into standard SATA ports? Did everything show up in BIOS as according to the connection?

so i can either only have one drive plugged into sata express ?
but i have two drives currently plugged into sata express...
as far as i know, my ssd drives are not sata express devices....

ok cool i will try that now and let you know, thanks so much by the way

AS185 wrote:

ok now i only got one drive plugged into the sata express port
and i got two ssd drives plugged into normal ports and a hard drive plugged into a normal port

but only the
SSD DRIVE PLUGGED INTO SATA EXPRESS
SSD DRIVE PLUGGED INTO NORMAL SATA
shows up in windows

in bios all three ssd drives show up, but the hard drive dont show up

whats going on

this is also happening on another asus motherboard i have, the M5A78L-M/USB3
with that the crutial BX300 randomly shows up, sometimes it shows up when i enable AHCI, sometimes only with IDE
but now it only shows up if i have a hard drive plugged into another port
and what happens in windows, the drive will pause, and the whole system will freeze, and it will show 100% activity on the drive, but no data will be getting transferred, this happens every other minit

whats going on?

seahawkslover
Level 7
sata express uses ports 1, 2. so you have to move the other drives down to 4 or 5 or 6.