New ROGer Array

Very big dual-boot problem with Asus ROG Strix GL703GS SCAR Bios !! Help me guys !!

Hello Guys,
    I have upgraded from N550JV to Asus ROG Strix GL703GS SCAR. It came with hibrid HDD, 256 GB SSD (on PCI express) and 1TB HDD.
    Beside the fact that the cooling fans are always on medium load (witch is weird) I have this very BIG problem with BIOS, I will try to explain what I try to do and also upload photos.
    So, at first I took out the 1tb hdd and replace it with the 256 ssd from my N550JV, win 1o preinstalled.
    Rebooted the rog, entered windows, all ok so far, it sees the second ssd.
    Rebooted again to select boot the other ssd (I want to keep working on my old ssd and the original for games). Hit ESC, enter bios, I see the ssd but cannot add it to boot option...
    Made the standard steps, disable secure boot but I does not seems to have CSM.... save and exit, no CSM...
    Disable fast boot, save, exit, same thing, no CSM.
    Tried to put the 1TB hdd and install win 10. I have the USB stick with win on it, plugged the use, hit esc and I have only one option to boot. The original ssd.
    If my Win 10 fails... how do I reinstall it on my system???

Photo 1: you can see the usb present with win 10 and the 1 tb hdd
    Photo 2: the ssd, located on the motherboard, PCIE
    Photo 3: Boot priority: only the ssd option, cannot add usb stck or second hdd
    Photo 4: Secure boot disable
    Photo 5: Cannot see usb, hdd in that section, CSM NOT present
    Photo 6: CSM missing from advanced menu
    Photo 7: Cannot see the usb on easy flash... lol...
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos a.jpg  

b.jpg  

c.jpg  

d.jpg  

e.jpg  

f.jpg  

g.jpg  

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by bubu112233 View Post
    Windows 10 fingerprints your hardware. So as long as a system has been activated on Windows 10 in the past you can always reinstall on a blank drive. When the installation asks for a product key you just select the option to skip it and Windows will activate after the installation is complete.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

New ROGer Array

disable the ssd from mother board?

Quote Originally Posted by xeromist View Post
    Windows 10 fingerprints your hardware. So as long as a system has been activated on Windows 10 in the past you can always reinstall on a blank drive. When the installation asks for a product key you just select the option to skip it and Windows will activate after the installation is complete.
    So dual windows boot is not available?
    Why cant I choose my second drive as a bot option?
    How to disable the primary ssd (the one from motherboard ) and just use my work ssd that I had on my N550JV?

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

I'm not addressing any of those as I don't have the answers. I'm just answering your question of if you have a complete failure, yes you can reinstall.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Clintlgm PC Specs
    Clintlgm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G752VY DH72
    MotherboardAsus Z97 Pro WiFi and /Z97 Pro A
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    Storage #1512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #21 TB Samsun 850 Pro
    CaseCool Master Haf
    OS Win 8.1 Pro and Win 10 Pro

So dual windows boot is not available?
    Why cant I choose my second drive as a bot option?
    How to disable the primary ssd (the one from motherboard ) and just use my work ssd that I had on my N550JV?

Let me try you mention that you don't have CSM, that is because your system is UEFI, not Legacy MBR. Next, in order to have a dual boot, you'll need to clean install one of the hard drives and set up the dual boot at that time. You can google dual boot you will have issues with activation trying to run 2 windows 10 on one license.

If you insist on keeping your old SSD then you'll need to remove our M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD put it up as you'll need it later and you don't want it screwed up. Before you remove your M.2 SSD copy the eSupport folder to USB drive it holds all the drivers and Asus Software for your new notebook.
    Now with only your old SSD boot to the BIOS/UEFI and change the system to Legacy then you will see the CSM and no longer see fast boot or secure boot etc.

When you reboot your system may or may not boot up into windows since all the hardware drivers will be different from what you have on your old SSD if you do get it to boot into windows you'll have to install the correct drivers for everything. Also, you will have an issue with activation of windows since the windows 10 that you have on your old SSD is activated on your old computer If its a retail version you may get MS to activate over the phone if it's an OEM version of windows it's not transferable to another computer. All in all your going to have some issues and headaches and probably a few days to get everything workings correctly.

This is where that M.2 SSD you put up comes in as in the long run you'll probably end up putting it back in and reinstalling your software and then using your old SSD for programs or data,

So while what you want to do is possible will it be worthwhile or time well spent that's up to you.
    Last edited by Clintlgm; 07-26-2018 at 11:22 PM.
    G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
    512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
    980m GTX 4 GB
    32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
    Windows 10 Pro
    Z97 -A
    Windows 10 Pro

ROG Member Array

Constant fans is caused by the Aura Lighting Service....disable this and the fans will only spool up when needed. *Found this out on my GL703GM

Hello Guys,
    I have upgraded from N550JV to Asus ROG Strix GL703GS SCAR. It came with hibrid HDD, 256 GB SSD (on PCI express) and 1TB HDD.
    Beside the fact that the cooling fans are always on medium load (witch is weird) I have this very BIG problem with BIOS, I will try to explain what I try to do and also upload photos.
    So, at first I took out the 1tb hdd and replace it with the 256 ssd from my N550JV, win 1o preinstalled.
    Rebooted the rog, entered windows, all ok so far, it sees the second ssd.
    Rebooted again to select boot the other ssd (I want to keep working on my old ssd and the original for games). Hit ESC, enter bios, I see the ssd but cannot add it to boot option...
    Made the standard steps, disable secure boot but I does not seems to have CSM.... save and exit, no CSM...
    Disable fast boot, save, exit, same thing, no CSM.
    Tried to put the 1TB hdd and install win 10. I have the USB stick with win on it, plugged the use, hit esc and I have only one option to boot. The original ssd.

Photo 1: you can see the usb present with win 10 and the 1 tb hdd
    Photo 2: the ssd, located on the motherboard, PCIE
    Photo 3: Boot priority: only the ssd option, cannot add usb stck or second hdd
    Photo 4: Secure boot disable
    Photo 5: Cannot see usb, hdd in that section, CSM NOT present
    Photo 6: CSM missing from advanced menu
    Photo 7: Cannot see the usb on easy flash... lol...