cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very big dual-boot problem with Asus ROG Strix GL703GS SCAR Bios !! Help me guys !!

bubu112233
Level 7
Hello Guys,
I have upgraded from N550JV to Asus ROG Strix GL703GS SCAR. It came with hibrid HDD, 256 GB SSD (on PCI express) and 1TB HDD.
Beside the fact that the cooling fans are always on medium load (witch is weird) I have this very BIG problem with BIOS, I will try to explain what I try to do and also upload photos.
So, at first I took out the 1tb hdd and replace it with the 256 ssd from my N550JV, win 1o preinstalled.
Rebooted the rog, entered windows, all ok so far, it sees the second ssd.
Rebooted again to select boot the other ssd (I want to keep working on my old ssd and the original for games). Hit ESC, enter bios, I see the ssd but cannot add it to boot option...
Made the standard steps, disable secure boot but I does not seems to have CSM.... save and exit, no CSM...
Disable fast boot, save, exit, same thing, no CSM.
Tried to put the 1TB hdd and install win 10. I have the USB stick with win on it, plugged the use, hit esc and I have only one option to boot. The original ssd.
If my Win 10 fails... how do I reinstall it on my system???

Photo 1: you can see the usb present with win 10 and the 1 tb hdd
Photo 2: the ssd, located on the motherboard, PCIE
Photo 3: Boot priority: only the ssd option, cannot add usb stck or second hdd
Photo 4: Secure boot disable
Photo 5: Cannot see usb, hdd in that section, CSM NOT present
Photo 6: CSM missing from advanced menu
Photo 7: Cannot see the usb on easy flash... lol...
5 REPLIES 5

xeromist
bubu112233 wrote:

Windows 10 fingerprints your hardware. So as long as a system has been activated on Windows 10 in the past you can always reinstall on a blank drive. When the installation asks for a product key you just select the option to skip it and Windows will activate after the installation is complete.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Windows 10 fingerprints your hardware. So as long as a system has been activated on Windows 10 in the past you can always reinstall on a blank drive. When the installation asks for a product key you just select the option to skip it and Windows will activate after the installation is complete.

So dual windows boot is not available?
Why cant I choose my second drive as a bot option?
How to disable the primary ssd (the one from motherboard ) and just use my work ssd that I had on my N550JV?

bubu112233 wrote:
So dual windows boot is not available?
Why cant I choose my second drive as a bot option?
How to disable the primary ssd (the one from motherboard ) and just use my work ssd that I had on my N550JV?

Let me try you mention that you don't have CSM, that is because your system is UEFI, not Legacy MBR. Next, in order to have a dual boot, you'll need to clean install one of the hard drives and set up the dual boot at that time. You can google dual boot you will have issues with activation trying to run 2 windows 10 on one license.

If you insist on keeping your old SSD then you'll need to remove our M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD put it up as you'll need it later and you don't want it screwed up. Before you remove your M.2 SSD copy the eSupport folder to USB drive it holds all the drivers and Asus Software for your new notebook.
Now with only your old SSD boot to the BIOS/UEFI and change the system to Legacy then you will see the CSM and no longer see fast boot or secure boot etc.

When you reboot your system may or may not boot up into windows since all the hardware drivers will be different from what you have on your old SSD if you do get it to boot into windows you'll have to install the correct drivers for everything. Also, you will have an issue with activation of windows since the windows 10 that you have on your old SSD is activated on your old computer If its a retail version you may get MS to activate over the phone if it's an OEM version of windows it's not transferable to another computer. All in all your going to have some issues and headaches and probably a few days to get everything workings correctly.

This is where that M.2 SSD you put up comes in as in the long run you'll probably end up putting it back in and reinstalling your software and then using your old SSD for programs or data,

So while what you want to do is possible will it be worthwhile or time well spent that's up to you.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

xeromist
I'm not addressing any of those as I don't have the answers. I'm just answering your question of if you have a complete failure, yes you can reinstall.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

meddylad
Level 7
Constant fans is caused by the Aura Lighting Service....disable this and the fans will only spool up when needed. *Found this out on my GL703GM

bubu112233 wrote:
Hello Guys,
I have upgraded from N550JV to Asus ROG Strix GL703GS SCAR. It came with hibrid HDD, 256 GB SSD (on PCI express) and 1TB HDD.
Beside the fact that the cooling fans are always on medium load (witch is weird) I have this very BIG problem with BIOS, I will try to explain what I try to do and also upload photos.
So, at first I took out the 1tb hdd and replace it with the 256 ssd from my N550JV, win 1o preinstalled.
Rebooted the rog, entered windows, all ok so far, it sees the second ssd.
Rebooted again to select boot the other ssd (I want to keep working on my old ssd and the original for games). Hit ESC, enter bios, I see the ssd but cannot add it to boot option...
Made the standard steps, disable secure boot but I does not seems to have CSM.... save and exit, no CSM...
Disable fast boot, save, exit, same thing, no CSM.
Tried to put the 1TB hdd and install win 10. I have the USB stick with win on it, plugged the use, hit esc and I have only one option to boot. The original ssd.

Photo 1: you can see the usb present with win 10 and the 1 tb hdd
Photo 2: the ssd, located on the motherboard, PCIE
Photo 3: Boot priority: only the ssd option, cannot add usb stck or second hdd
Photo 4: Secure boot disable
Photo 5: Cannot see usb, hdd in that section, CSM NOT present
Photo 6: CSM missing from advanced menu
Photo 7: Cannot see the usb on easy flash... lol...