cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus M/B Offset and Adaptive Voltage mode: Voltage Spikes

dmt_taran
Level 8
I've read tons of threads all over the internet with such a name (or close to it), but I've not found at least suitable answer or solution to this issue (exept for chit chats, "i dunno dude, I was just passing by" sort)

I have 8700K with maximus x hero system. CPU is capable of 4.8 GHz at 1.24V, 4.9 at 1.3, 5.0 at 1.355, 5.1-5.2 over 1.4V, uncore ~4.5GHz at every step, no AVX offset. Every mark, every clock step I've tested gradually last 4 months, and I'm 200% sure it Is stable at those clocks with voltage mentioned. In addition, I've used manual voltage and LLC6 for additional stability, IA lines are set to 0.01.

Target is 5.0GHz
The problem is - I can't get stable OC and voltage while using offset and adaptive. Unlike manual voltage, adaptive and offset makes max load voltage fluctuate at 0.05V range. So either I have unstable OC with 1.312-1.328V constant supply with spikes up to 1.36V, or I have stable OC, but with spikes up to 1.408-1.424V.
The problem becomes more complicated under heavy workloads (e.x. BF1). These spikes get more rapid - I could even say that 50% of time CPU gets more excessive voltage.

However, it's not enough to utilize stable OC with lowered voltage - for e.x., suggesting spikes go 50% of workload time and even more, I could lower voltage below stability point, achieving sweet spot between spikes and undervoltage - but it doesn't work, OC is not stable! :mad:

So what is it about? Why voltage is so unstable while using adaptive and offset? How can I solve this problem? Even if it cannot be fixed while under load, maybe there is some way to decrease these spikes, at least to 0.01V mark?
95 REPLIES 95

dmt_taran
Level 8
So, nobody can give even a hint?

I am in this mode and see voltage ups and downs with frequency. My I guess, this is what adaptive means. Adaptive mode might spike the CPU if some instanteniouse load hits. I.e. you mentioned your have no AVX offset, so if an AVX instruction hits, it might draw substantially more power, so adaptive mode supports it by increasing the voltage temporary. To check if you have avx in your apps, just set some offset and see if you still have the max frequency whil running your app, or you see it drops a bit (since it reports some effective agevare over a period of time you'll be able to see some fractional change).
Having said that I didn't observe spikes above the max voltage assigned by Adaptive mode.

metadist

And that what's most freaks me out, that 1) I'm completely stable with AVX 5.0 at 1.355V 2) No matter what I set as turbo voltage, it will always spike at +0.05V.

I didn't observe spikes above the max voltage assigned by Adaptive mode.

Assigned by You as turbo voltage, or you mean svid?

I had similar issues but with a different chip and board. When in adaptive it ignores the voltage limit you set. To resolve this i had to offset each core individually using negative increments. Basicly I would run a stress test without avx functions and watch my voltages in hwinfo64. If one core was receiving more voltage spike than another at full load, I would either clock down the core or adjust negative offset. For some reason I was having stability issues offsetting more than - .09. If that was the case I would reduce my core by 1 and offset at a lower number. It is a pain to do this, but all my cores run at less voltage spread evenly across all cores. No voltage spikes. My motherboard allows me to set a max turbo voltage when in adaptive mode, so I set that to my goal. I have a hunch your per core voltage is all over the place. Hope this helps. It would even out per core temps as well.

feedmeink wrote:
I had similar issues but with a different chip and board. When in adaptive it ignores the voltage limit you set. To resolve this i had to offset each core individually using negative increments. Basicly I would run a stress test without avx functions and watch my voltages in hwinfo64. If one core was receiving more voltage spike than another at full load, I would either clock down the core or adjust negative offset. For some reason I was having stability issues offsetting more than - .09. If that was the case I would reduce my core by 1 and offset at a lower number. It is a pain to do this, but all my cores run at less voltage spread evenly across all cores. No voltage spikes. My motherboard allows me to set a max turbo voltage when in adaptive mode, so I set that to my goal. I have a hunch your per core voltage is all over the place. Hope this helps. It would even out per core temps as well.

I know what You meant, friend, but unfortunately the way You described it is impossible on mainstream 1151v2 platform. All those things concern only HEDT 2011/2066 (maybe 3647) - those have TB 3.0, allowing to manipulate each core's clock/voltage and etc. I have only overal vcore (core+uncore), and each core's frequency, BUT, only starting with 1st core.

Besides, while manually "voltaged", no spikes even trying to pass. It's all about offset/adaptive.

dmt.taran wrote:
metadist

Assigned by You as turbo voltage, or you mean svid?

Assign by SVID.

Actually, looking over my setup, I also see a strange 0.05V constant, but in a different way.
So, I have:
SVID best case,
CPU core/cache voltage -Adaptive mode,
Additional turbo mode CPU core voltage 1.35
offset - Auto (0)
LLC - level 4 (or more)

Then I see that when all cores are running at my highest ratio (51), then core voltage is 1.35+0.05 = 1.40.
No spikes, just constant overshoot. I can reduce it if I set the Offset in Adaptive mode. But I too have to wonder - where does this 0.5 come from?

Best regards.
Artem

metadist wrote:
Assign by SVID.

Actually, looking over my setup, I also see a strange 0.05V constant, but in a different way.
So, I have:
SVID best case,
CPU core/cache voltage -Adaptive mode,
Additional turbo mode CPU core voltage 1.35
offset - Auto (0)
LLC - level 4 (or more)

Then I see that when all cores are running at my highest ratio (51), then core voltage is 1.35+0.05 = 1.40.
No spikes, just constant overshoot. I can reduce it if I set the Offset in Adaptive mode. But I too have to wonder - where does this 0.5 come from?

Best regards.
Artem

Actually, the same comes for me - You can call it constant, or spikes as I call it. So that's an issue I'm wondering. No way I found to solve it, exept forget those funky modes and switch back to manual 😕

Ok, so we on the same page, so let's see who comes to answer. 🙂
Just in case my MB is Prime Z370-A BIOS 1002 (July'18)

Carlyle2020
Level 10
Gentlemen are we talking vcore or SVID overshooting?

vcore is actual voltage and that one should be capped.
SVID ist no voltage at all. It is the signal from the CPU "wanting" the shown voltage. Set by default at the factory.

So if you overshoot SVID it simply means you run the CPU lower than the CPU would give itself on Auto.

...Does that help?

Rgds
Carlyle