cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New build can’t boot - recover bios settings error msg

Monzmatt66
Level 7
Hi there, first time post as I’ve not used an asus mobo before. I am upgrading my build with a new maximus x hero and an i7-8700k. I rebuilt the system with everything plugged in and it won’t boot I get to the American Megatrends page and an error message “please enter setup to recover bios settings.....”*

Safe mode button comes back with same message but with additional - safe mode can’t opperate enter settings to recover bios... or something similar.*

I tried clear cmos and I tried usb flashback update on the bios. In both cases the first boot is a blank screen, then if I restart I get the same error message.

*I then disconnected everything except cpu and dram - I took out the gpus, sad drives, hubs etc. It loaded straight to bios and seemed fine I could navigate and all temps fine. When I rebooted it came back same error message and hitting F2, del, F1 has no effect. I can’t enter bios. As I say, if I clear cmos or do a flashback it gives a blank screen “no signal” first boot and then if I reset it goes to error message in the American Megatrends screen.

I tried testing another dram from my second computer and got some issue so it’s not ram. The ram for thisnbuild is gskill trident RGB 3000hz and the ram from my second computer is Corsair vengeance LPX 3000hz, both of which are on the compatability list for the hero x I think.*

I assume at this stage it is either CPU or mobo being dead out of the box as there is nothing else left to test that I can think of - power is fine as far as I know? Could it be power? I’ve heard of psu issues causing crashes but not like this. The cpu went in fine using the asus cpu installation tool and mobo recognises the chip in the American Megatrends screen and I get no “issue with cpu” type messages so I’m inclined to think probably mobo?

This evening I am going to try fitting my previous i5-6600k which fortunately I still have. This should confirm if it’s mobo or cpu I hope.

Any other ideas? I’m seriously depressed with all this kit I can’t use  I have a custom water loop so trying different CPUs and mobos is not a five minute job! my kids are away this weekend and I had it reserved for sitting In my pants and playing computer games!! 蠟

Help appreciated, thanks Matt**
11 REPLIES 11

Monzmatt66
Level 7
Hey, Ive realised I can’t test the mobo with a i5-6600k as the z370 isn’t backward compatible. Any suggestions on how I can determine if it’s cpu or mobo?

Monzmatt66 wrote:
Hey, Ive realised I can’t test the mobo with a i5-6600k as the z370 isn’t backward compatible. Any suggestions on how I can determine if it’s cpu or mobo?

If you can not enter the BIOS not matter how often you hit F2 and del, just try another keyboard.
It may sounds silly, but my Maximus X Hero does not regognise my mechanical keyboard during POST, therefore i have to take different/spare keyboard to enter the BIOS.

Phillyflyer
Level 10
I was actually going to suggest the same...sounds like the keyboard
Asus ROG Maximus XI EXTREME
Intel i7 9900K OC'D @ 5.2 GHZ @ 1.345V (1.296V LOAD) LLC 6 PRIME 95 STABLE 8 HRS
XSPC RX360 Rad (6)Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM Fans In Push/Pull @ 1500 RPMS
Swiftech Drive II / Swiftech MCP35X Pump
Enermax Platimax 1200 Watt Power Supply
32GB G.Skill F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 3866 MHZ CL18 1.35V (OC 4266MHZ 17-18-18-41-2T @1.45V)
MSI GTX 1070 SEA HAWK EK X SLI WITH ASUS HB RGB
(5)Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB In Raid 0
(2) WD 1TB Black Edition
Corsair 900 D

Wowzers! It worked! I changed the keyboard and hey presto into Bios. Thanks guys!*

So now I’m in bios and wondering what to do. Searching menus i notice fast boot it selected and that storage device boot is legacy only. Changed these two settings and lo and behold the windows installation media kicks in on next startup. Why the flip the defaults are set to fast boot and legacy only, I have no idea. Has no one else had this issue.? I only hope this is the end of my woes and I can’t atart to enjoy the maximus hero x goodness!

Thanks again chaps, if only i’d been able to post last night as I was crying into my pillow. (New member cool down prevented....)*

Monzmatt66 wrote:
Wowzers! It worked! I changed the keyboard and hey presto into Bios. Thanks guys!*

So now I’m in bios and wondering what to do. Searching menus i notice fast boot it selected and that storage device boot is legacy only. Changed these two settings and lo and behold the windows installation media kicks in on next startup. Why the flip the defaults are set to fast boot and legacy only, I have no idea. Has no one else had this issue.? I only hope this is the end of my woes and I can’t atart to enjoy the maximus hero x goodness!

Thanks again chaps, if only i’d been able to post last night as I was crying into my pillow. (New member cool down prevented....)*

Yeah, glad it worked instantly. I have read somewhere that some guy used 5 keyboards without luck ...XD

So, thanks again for this tip. but.... is there no way to get the keyboard working in start-up? I can't be plugging in another keyboard everytime I want to enter the bios! also it doesn't seem to wake from hibernation with this keyboard. suggestions? Also, a bit off topic, but is there a way to re-boot to UEFI from the desktop? My asrock board that I had before had a utility software suite that included a shortcut to reboot to UEFI. was very useful.

Thanks, Matt

Monzmatt66 wrote:
So, thanks again for this tip. but.... is there no way to get the keyboard working in start-up? I can't be plugging in another keyboard everytime I want to enter the bios! also it doesn't seem to wake from hibernation with this keyboard. suggestions? Also, a bit off topic, but is there a way to re-boot to UEFI from the desktop? My asrock board that I had before had a utility software suite that included a shortcut to reboot to UEFI. was very useful.

Thanks, Matt

Well, i guess there is currently no other method to get it working, i just hope it starts magically working after the next BIOS patches.
Until then, i am using my old keyboard the get into the BIOS, which sucks. I have also considered getting myself a new keyboard, which also sucks 😄
I think the problem is somehow related to gaming keyboards AFAIK, may be features like NKRO are the culprit.
Mine has a built in usb hub + sounds which might also cause trouble.

May i ask which keyboard your are using?

Krowne

chevell65
Level 12
That sounds like the standard bios recovery screen to me. Hitting F1 should get you to bios at that point.

Maybe try plugging the keyboard into one of the USB 2.0 ports. Filling out your system specs might also be helpful at this point. 🙂

Phillyflyer
Level 10
Simple fix Bro....glad your up and running !!
Asus ROG Maximus XI EXTREME
Intel i7 9900K OC'D @ 5.2 GHZ @ 1.345V (1.296V LOAD) LLC 6 PRIME 95 STABLE 8 HRS
XSPC RX360 Rad (6)Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM Fans In Push/Pull @ 1500 RPMS
Swiftech Drive II / Swiftech MCP35X Pump
Enermax Platimax 1200 Watt Power Supply
32GB G.Skill F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 3866 MHZ CL18 1.35V (OC 4266MHZ 17-18-18-41-2T @1.45V)
MSI GTX 1070 SEA HAWK EK X SLI WITH ASUS HB RGB
(5)Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB In Raid 0
(2) WD 1TB Black Edition
Corsair 900 D