cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X hero bios 1602 speedstep issue

nycalex80
Level 7
I'm having some issues after updating to newest 1602 bios on my maximus x hero.

previously, my 8700k was speedshifting perfectly fine. i had it 4.8ghz @ 1.22v. if idling it would drop to 800, then back up to 4800 when gaming.

memory is set with xmp profile

avx = 2
min cache is 8x
max cache is 46x
LLC is at 5
multicore enhancement is off
manual cpu vcore is set at 1.22

i applied exactly the same settings i had prior to updating bios.

but here's the issue:

-the cpu does 8x perfectly fine when idling.

-but it won't turbo boost at all, max it does is 3.2ghz.

temps are in the mid 40s, so it can't be thermal throttling.

no settings were changed from previous bios version.

why would it not turbo to 4.8?

now, what i did to remedy this situation is to turn off speedstep all together. now it does 4.8 PERFECTLY fine. but i don't want to run 4.8 all the time.

any ideas?
4 REPLIES 4

PerpetualCycle
Level 13
Enable speedshift?
Chaeck your windows power plan and make sure it has a maximum performance set to 100%

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

geneo wrote:
Enable speedshift?
Chaeck your windows power plan and make sure it has a maximum performance set to 100%

speedshift is enabled

i tried all power plans available, no luck.

it does 8x up to 32x. so is not hitting turbo at all when speedshift is enabled.

i'm just running at 4.8 undervolted to 1.22. i just hate to run at full blast all the time

no one else experiences this?

PerpetualCycle
Level 13
Dunno. You might try speedshift instead, The processor manages it with speedshift whereas with speedstep the OS manages. I have speedstep disabled and speedshift enabled.

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

chevell65
Level 12
Did you clear cmos after the bios update?

If not try doing that then see if it's using turbo and down clocking like it should be.