Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heat Issues on HDD WD Black 4TB

INDIVIDUUM
Level 7
Hello there Guys,

im looking for some advice.

I build a Gaming PC last year and i own a WD Black 4TB , a Samsung SSD and a WD Blue 1TB as Backup storage.
The Case i have is the Corsair Carbide 270R it has the corsair h150 v2 mounted on front as intake and is using Pull Push Config, Underneath is a additional Fan as intake. on Top are 2 Fans as exhaust and 1 Rear fan.

Now this Summer it is very hot over here, right now we have a room temp of 34,2 Celsius. I know that this is a way to high temp for running a computer everything above 25 C could be damaging for the Computer , thats what i heard.

I keep checking my temperature and actually all of my temps seems to be okay for this enviroment temperature. When Gaming my CPU i7 7700k reaches 60 C , The liquid of cooling is at 38C, the Mainboard also at 38-40C, GPU is around 59-60C.
Now the only thing i worry about is my Hard drive the WD Black 4TB, it seems to get way too hot. also the SSD , where i have put my Windows OS on is reaching around 47C but it will then downclock itself and reach 39C again. The WD Black somehow rises and rises tho. Its around 46C.

Earlier today i even swapped my WD Black and blue and put the Black on the bottom slot at the Back of the Case, because it was mounted on top, and you know heat rises but that resultet in worse results for my WD Blue , the Blue that is not even used goes up to 40C now, so i will put the WD Black on Top again later.

Could it be the Case the Corsair 270R , cause the HDD cooling seems to be passive or is it usual for High Performance HDD to run that hot ?

It be thankfull for advice.
Before it was that hot the highest the WD Black reached was 42C and that already concerned me cause it was around Fall and Spring.

Sorry for Rusty english Guys.

Have a nice weekend ❤️
6 REPLIES 6

Nate152
Hi INDIVIDUUM

Welcome to the ROG forum !

34.2c = 93.5F

That is a hot room, I'd turn up the ac a bit. 🙂

In all seriousness, I wouldn't be surprised to see your HDD temps that high. In the Sharkoon DG700-G case with 4 x 140mm fans and a 120mm AIO cooler in push pull, my temps with the WD Black 2TB (FZEX) are 36c with a room temp of 24.4c (76F).

Nate152 wrote:
Hi INDIVIDUUM

Welcome to the ROG forum !

34.2c = 93.5F

That is a hot room, I'd turn up the ac a bit. 🙂

In all seriousness, I wouldn't be surprised to see your HDD temps that high. In the Sharkoon DG700-G case with 4 x 140mm fans and a 120mm AIO cooler in push pull, my temps with the WD Black 2TB (FZEX) are 36c with a room temp of 24.4c (76F).

Ya, its quiet Hot,im all the way underneath the Roof. ^^

I googled earlier today and found alot threads on different forums about High Temperatures of the WD Black.
So it seems like Those HDDs (perfomance HDDs) get high temperatures. I also checked the Specs Sheet on WDs Site, it says that the Operating Temperature is up to 55C.

I think the Problem is that direct Airflow is needed for that Hard Drive and thats not possible in this kind of Case. Cables are well managed so nothing is in the Way.

I will keep a Eye on the Temps , its not a every Day thing to run my Computer at over 34C. Tonight it should rain and it will go down to around 24C, this might have a huge impact again on those Temps and will give me a more safe feeling running my Machine ^^

By the Way thanks for your answers 🙂

Also wanna thank @Nate152 for those great Overcloking Guide for the 1070 O8G GPU. i used your guide last year and was able to overclock my Card very well , recently switched to 1080ti oc but from this guide i got into Overclocking in general and learned quiet a few things. So thanks for that 🙂

INDIVIDUUM wrote:
Ya, its quiet Hot,im all the way underneath the Roof. ^^

I googled earlier today and found alot threads on different forums about High Temperatures of the WD Black.
So it seems like Those HDDs (perfomance HDDs) get high temperatures. I also checked the Specs Sheet on WDs Site, it says that the Operating Temperature is up to 55C.

I think the Problem is that direct Airflow is needed for that Hard Drive and thats not possible in this kind of Case. Cables are well managed so nothing is in the Way.

I will keep a Eye on the Temps , its not a every Day thing to run my Computer at over 34C. Tonight it should rain and it will go down to around 24C, this might have a huge impact again on those Temps and will give me a more safe feeling running my Machine ^^

By the Way thanks for your answers 🙂

Also wanna thank @Nate152 for those great Overcloking Guide for the 1070 O8G GPU. i used your guide last year and was able to overclock my Card very well , recently switched to 1080ti oc but from this guide i got into Overclocking in general and learned quiet a few things. So thanks for that 🙂

You're welcome !

Yeah apparently the WD Black does run warm, higher rpm fans may help a few degrees but will be louder. Only thing to really do is get as much air as possible blowing on it.

You're in good shape though so no worries. 🙂

Rob_W_
Level 12
My answer *to that! Would be to try and get more airflow over hdd, if case is tight it could cause heat to build, at this time of year I leave whatever panels off, that I can, my ambient temp 30 deg at the minute

Nate152
Hey Rob !

I've taken the side panel off and used a big floor fan, this works well but I'm not sure how well it would reach the HDD's, could give it a try. More air may help a few degress but need to get that ambient temp down.

Rob_W_
Level 12
Got my hdd mounted behind front intake fans and also rear of hdd I have a fan, side panel and door are off + floor standing fan snap!
Kept things down nicely, hdd is in cage bottom right.
Decided *to do a bit of a rebuild to include a chiller and do a mod on gpu so forgive the messy picture*:D
***** uplode file Fail, can’t get photo to upload, will check it out and try again**** :rolleyes:*