cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OC I7 7700K / No Delid. Safe Temps?

INDIVIDUUM
Level 7
Hey Guys,

so recently tried to OC my I7 , since i use to run it on Default Clock for Ages (4,2GhZ).
Now i would like to know from you Guys what are safe temperatures to run your CPU at for Gaming.

I use Prime 95 as Benchmark / Small FFT.

I was able to go up to 4,6Ghz with a offset of -0.070V this leads to 67C in Prime 95 / FFT.
With this setting , when im gaming my Core reaches around 60C, sometimes peaks up to 64C. You know those Spikes that are typical for the 7700K.
When idle im around 35C and the Ambient temp is 28C at the moment.

I even tried to go up as high as 4,7Ghz and offset of -0.020V, this leads to 71C in Prime and around 65C in Gaming.

Now much higher i wouldnt want to go since i run alot of Games on this Machine and it would be constant at this Temperature.

For Comparison at 4,2Ghz with -0.080V i was able to achieve 50-55C in Maximum Usage.

Now i know higher Power of CPU will lead to higher Temps.

Main Question to you Guys, is that increment from 4,2 to 4,6 or even 4,7ghz worth that higher temperature?
Also id like to know what temps are usual for CPUs when overclocked.

Thanks for taking your Time to read this
Have a nice Day , everyone
18 REPLIES 18

Nate152
Hi INDIVIDUUM

Your temps are fine.

I saw a while back on Intel's spec sheet the 6700k was 64c but apparently they removed it, so I went to their online chat and asked a rep and he said absolute max for the 6700k - 7700k is 90c (benchmarking) and 85c is fine for 24/7.

If he's saying 85c is fine 24/7 it must be but this can lead to the topic of temps and degredation, generally the cooler the better.

Here are my temps with the 7700k and GPU Tweak II's new OSD, I have a feeling the OSD will slowly get improved on but it looks good for starters.

I delidded my 7700k and got an average of -15c, it's at 5.2GHz, cache 4.7GHz, Vcore 1.440v.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi INDIVIDUUM

Your temps are fine.

I saw a while back on Intel's spec sheet the 6700k was 64c but they removed it, so I went to their online chat and asked a rep and he said absolute max for the 7700k is 90c (benchmarking) and 85c is fine for 24/7.

If he's saying 85c is fine 24/7 it must be but this can lead to the topic of temps and degredation, generally the cooler the better.

Here are my temps with the 7700k and GPU Tweak II's new OSD, I have a feeling the OSD will slowly get improved on but it looks good for starters.

I delidded my 7700k and got an average of -15c, it's at 5.2GHz, cache 4.7GHz, Vcore 1.440v.

5,2GhZ. Thats crazy man. haha. Without delid my CPU would probably end up as burned Toast.
85C all the Time sounds quiet high for 24/7 usage, of course that would kick a discussion lose about wear and tear of the CPU and how long it would be able to run till it dies one day.

My Max. Voltage is 1,200V at @4,6GhZ. highest Temp today was 62C.

Would you say go for that 4,7GhZ ?

GPU Tweak II is a very good Tool, i use it for my GPU.

Nate152
You have the corsair H150i which is a 360mm cooler, it should easily handle a non delidded 7700k at 1.35v. If this is your first attempt at overclocking your 7700k, it may do 5.0GHz at 1.35v or less.

Yes try for 4.7GHz, temps say you can.

Nate152 wrote:
You have the corsair H150i which is a 360mm cooler, it should easily handle a non delidded 7700k at 1.35v. If this is your first attempt at overclocking your 7700k, it may do 5.0GHz at 1.35v or less.

Yes try for 4.7GHz, temps say you can.

I tried to reach the 5Ghz, but that is pretty much impossible with 1.35V on my Chip, i have to go a little higher 1.39V.
1.35V and 1.36V crashed and gave me a BSOD.
Temps at 1.39V without delid is way to crazy, its going all the way up to 80C, but its changing alot going down to 60C up to 75C then 80C back down again.
Might try to lower the voltage a little to see if it will still be stable, might try 1.37V

Nate152
So you didn't win the silicon lottery but 5.0GHz with 1.39v isn't too bad, and max temp of 80c is acceptable, 80c would be the max I'd feel comfortable playing games. I've seen a few 7700k's that couldn't hit 4.8GHz with 1.40v and you hit 5.0GHz with acceptable temps without delidding, so if you look at it from that you have a good 7700k.

Delidding should get you 5.1GHz with 1.45ishv with better temps. You'd need 1.50ishv for 5.2GHz and I wouldn't run it quite that high. I run 5.2GHz with 1.440v - 1.456v 24/7. So with your 7700k I see you hitting another 100MHz with lower temps, basically would it be worth it to delid for another 100MHz ?

If 80c is stress testing temp, you can game at 5.0GHz with 1.39v no problem. If 80c is gaming temp it's still good, but you're pretty much at the mercy of Intel's thermal paste.

Something that might lower your cpu temps a little is lowering the "cpu vccio voltage" and "cpu system agent voltage", on auto the board tends to overvolt these a bit, try them to 1.0v if on auto they are set higher than that.

Nate152 wrote:
So you didn't win the silicon lottery but 5.0GHz with 1.39v isn't too bad, and max temp of 80c is acceptable, 80c would be the max I'd feel comfortable playing games. I've seen a few 7700k's that couldn't hit 4.8GHz with 1.40v and you hit 5.0GHz with acceptable temps without delidding, so if you look at it from that you have a good 7700k.

Delidding should get you 5.1GHz with 1.45ishv with better temps. You'd need 1.50ishv for 5.2GHz and I wouldn't run it quite that high. I run 5.2GHz with 1.440v - 1.456v 24/7. So with your 7700k I see you hitting another 100MHz with lower temps, basically would it be worth it to delid for another 100MHz ?

If 80c is stress testing temp, you can game at 5.0GHz with 1.39v no problem. If 80c is gaming temp it's still good, but you're pretty much at the mercy of Intel's thermal paste.

Something that might lower your cpu temps a little is lowering the "cpu vccio voltage" and "cpu system agent voltage", on auto the board tends to overvolt these a bit, try them to 1.0v if on auto they are set higher than that.

Im back again, i noticed something way different. I used offset mode all the time, now i went back to manual again and i could go down as low as 1.33V with 5.0Ghz:

My Problem now however .. I would like to use adaptive or offset mode so the Vcore will switch according to the usage of the CPU, in other words it shouldnt use 1.33V when idle or just surfing the Web.

Could you help me with that?
Right now i run manual 1.33V
Temps are 70- 75ish when it spikes

INDIVIDUUM
Level 7

Nate152
Sure let's give adaptive mode a try, first make sure the windows power plan is set to balanced.

On the AI Tweaker tab....

1) Set the cpu core/cache voltage to Adaptive Mode.
2) Enter 1.330v in the "Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage Override".
3) SVID Support - Enabled

Test for stability and check for voltage overshoot, you can then counter it with a negative offset.

Looks like you did well in the cpu lottery after all, this makes 5.2GHz look achievable with delidding.

Nate152 wrote:
Sure let's give adaptive mode a try, first make sure the windows power plan is set to balanced.

On the AI Tweaker tab....

1) Set the cpu core/cache voltage to Adaptive Mode.
2) Enter 1.330v in the "Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage Override".
3) SVID Support - Enabled

Test for stability and check for voltage overshoot, you can then counter it with a negative offset.

Looks like you did well in the cpu lottery after all, this makes 5.2GHz look achievable with delidding.

The Voltage is going down now but ..
The Overshoot seems quiet high , i get 1.376V.
Everything seems stable so far, but im a little afraid to run Prime 95 at the moment cause that usually overshoots a few Volts.