cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C7H 2700x and Corsair 3333 @ 3333 (2x16GB) on BIOS 401 good, 804 not so much

rchiwawa
Level 7
Greets. ITs been a while since I rocked a desktop and for varying reasons, I built one using the C7H wifi. I read about memory quirks common to the Ryzen platform, especially for the 1xxx series chip and x370 chipsets wit h the earliest BIOS revs. I knew that not going by the QVL could be problematic but I bought what I felt like anyway. Among the items were:

C7H WiFI
2700x
Corsair 2x16GB 3333 Vengeance LED ram
Seasonic Prime 1000w

Long story short. With the shipped BIOS, memory clocks up fine, loaded windows-n-sundries, ran Prime 95 for several hours:small fFt while watching temps and clocks in hwinfo; everything looked great. Loaded a couple of games and and successfully played for a bit. Then I decided to load the latest BIOS. Board shipped with BIOS rev. 509. BIOS I elected to load up was revision 804. Everything seemed fine until I decided to play a little more in a game. The system ran in game for several minutes and then hard shut down. Hard shut down defined as one moment everything is running great, the next everything loses power except for the motherboard heatsinks powered by standby power and the only way to power the system back on is to disconnect from AC/throw the power switch on the back of the PSU and wait for the PSU caps to run down. Thinking this was no ordinary thermal event or powere delivery issue I brought it back up, ran prime95 again and within 30 seconds it crashed hitting a max Tdieof 67C, CPU + SoC chip power of 115w in hwinfo.

The noticed core speeds, temp, and power were in line with bios rev 509. So I loaded up the old rev and here I am typing on the machine with prime 95 running in the background just for fun. Should I email this quirk to Asus' support team? I would like to think that if I run into a problem or want to upgrade in the future that requires a new BIOS that I can flash in a new BIOS and have everything run well.

Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4

gupsterg
Level 13
The shutdown issue maybe down to running older monitoring SW or apps that access the Super IO chip.

What apps do you have installed in Windows?
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

gupsterg wrote:
The shutdown issue maybe down to running older monitoring SW or apps that access the Super IO chip.

What apps do you have installed in Windows?

Relating to hardware monitoring I loaded up the Asus AI Suite 3, HWinfo, Kraken's ill-reputed-but-runs-seemingly-trouble-free-for-me CAM, EVGA Precision X. All the current rev their respective websites will have you download.

I haven't gone so far as to reinstall the BIOS rev804 and then bring each app online and/or completely uninstall to see what happens. I think I will get on doing so and see what happens right now. I will loaded the next most current revision to see what happens and if that goes trouble free, I'll retry v804 and start the disable/ uninstall process. FWIW, until it was introduced to an full core and thread loading my 2700x, Windows, the computer in general ran great.

Thanks for the suggestion

EDIT: I did deny HWinfo access to the Asus custom IC, I seem to remember having a problem with letting it monitor the one found on an old Maximum or Rampage board I used closer to a decade ago and just made it a point to deny all software suites its use or avoid software suites that didn't afford the option (about the time I stopped using SpeedFan)

gupsterg
Level 13
HWINFO v5.87-3490 is fine to use with access enabled to ASUS EC.

I believe the EVGA Precision X would not access Super IO chip of motherboard, so should be fine.

ASUS Ai Suite 3 and CAM will AFAIK. Running these whilst having HWINFO could be an issue. I would not even have Ai Suite 3 and CAM running in the background, they could even potentially clash with each other besides HWINFO.

I would opt to setup motherboard/Kraken as needed, remove Ai Suite 3 / CAM and then see how it goes.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

gupsterg wrote:
HWINFO v5.87-3490 is fine to use with access enabled to ASUS EC.

I believe the EVGA Precision X would not access Super IO chip of motherboard, so should be fine.

ASUS Ai Suite 3 and CAM will AFAIK. Running these whilst having HWINFO could be an issue. I would not even have Ai Suite 3 and CAM running in the background, they could even potentially clash with each other besides HWINFO.

I would opt to setup motherboard/Kraken as needed, remove Ai Suite 3 / CAM and then see how it goes.

With a lot of testing I can only draw the conclusion that the BIOS rev is to blame. aforementioned software installed or installed (using https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed...) it didn't really matter, I would just crash at DRAM rated 3333 or OC 3400 at random intervals and workloads. Its so buggy with rev 0804 that the keyboard(s) will lag and go unresponsive in BIOS at any speed (2133, 3333, 3400) varying in intensity with increase in memory clock. Interestingly though, the mice are unaffected in navigation through the menus action until 3400 but the interface will be slow to acknowledge input/selection/action from the mice at any speed, again intensifying with increases in memory clock. yeah, I tried a different keyboard and a different mouse just to verify I didn't have a wonky set. I revert to BIOS 0601 and all problems are remedied.

My problem now is do I send this memory back and try something else? I have the merchants window available for a couple of weeks. I am just really concerned about a couple of things.

1.)A problem or feature in the future that will require a BIOS update

I built this system with the notion of popping in a future Ryzen 8+core processor and an GTX 1180/2080 Ti. If this memory is problematic now, it can't bode well for the future compatibility although I suppose it could be argued ANY ram might have this problem with future Ryzens.

2.)I really, REALLY require 2x16GB configuration. I want a reasonably fast DRAM clock.

I'd rather not do a new motherboard, RAM, and processor to go with the new card whenever that drops and if ends up being that way... here's hoping the Ryzen 2700x won't be much of a bottleneck if I am stuck in that position.

Owing to case and component topology, using 4 DIMMs is out of the question. When picking out ram, the corsair kit I picked up seemed to be a nice blend of timings, clockspeed, and price. It may be silly but 32GB is the amount I want. I just haven't come across a lot of even anecdotal confirmation of success with Ryzen and higher speed,reasonable latency 16GB DIMMs. I don't mind throwing a little money at it but I would prefer to pick something up that is known to work and faster while being compatible with the current BIOS rev... a dream level of specificity, I know)

So as it stands I am going to stick with the old BIOS and 3400mhz clocks with 16-18-18-36 timings unless I sort something out or someone here has a recommendation. I am entertaining RAM that meets the following

>3333Mhz
<18-x-x-40 timings
Reputable manufacture
2x16GB kit.

Thanks for the suggestions in advance-n-arrears and I hope all this helps someone out.