cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trying to join the Republic

ddt000
Level 7
but having some trouble. I ordered an eBay "new (other)" Maximus V Gene to keep using my 2nd Gen i7-2600 with Win10 Pro. Intel didn't write chipset drivers for my P8H67M-EVO mobo's Sandy Bridge chipset. The kernel seems to be unstable often enough to BSOD me to change. I've been building systems for decades; my only other trouble was trying a software RAID (only time I've lost data... ).

I installed the MVG and found it unresponsive. No POST, no fan spin, just some lights near the "Start" button on the mobo. Called ASUS and tech support had me uninstall it to ensure the case wasn't the problem. No change, and I noticed the chipset was getting hot during trials. ASUS said to send it back. So I did; to China (PITA).

The S/N on the board was blacked out, making me wonder what I got, so i stayed domestic for my next attempt. Got a 2nd used MVG and - same deal. Exactly. Weird. Made me wonder if I have trouble with my other components, but when I reinstall the P8H67M-EVO its all good but the Win10 chipset drivers.

So I did some searching, and found that overtightening the CPU heatsink can cause problems. Made me wonder if my Thermaltake Frio was to blame. But another benchtop test with no CPU heatsink resulted in the same result. The only other possibility is perhaps the BIOS is corrupt? Should I try to flashback the BIOS?

If not then please recommend another LGA 1155 socket mobo for my continued attempt to get good use out of my i7 CPU etc.
32 REPLIES 32

Rob_W_
Level 12
Hi ddt000
That’s a tough one!*
Bought on eBay, reputable seller? Serial Number blacked out?
Are you sure cpu is ok ( live not dead )
Post full spec of machine your using, it will be an aid for others to help.*

Rob W. wrote:
Hi ddt000
That’s a tough one!*
Bought on eBay, reputable seller? Serial Number blacked out?
Are you sure cpu is ok ( live not dead )
Post full spec of machine your using, it will be an aid for others to help.*

Full system specs in my profile. CPU is still in use on the other board. I even tried my old working i5 CPU - doesn't seem to be the problem.

Could I have a PSU problem that bothers one board but not another? Could the memory or CPU have an issue that bothered one board but not another? Or more likely, could my Thermaltake Frio's backplate for the mount have shorted something on one board but not the other? Doesn't seem very likely.

These mobos are rare and I guess somewhat in demand. New (unopened box) from a reputable seller is $300! I can get a current ROG board for less. But then I'd have to buy a new CPU, memory, etc. Like to use my existing hardware for awhile.

The blacked up S/N was on the board from China. My thought was it was an RMA, salvaged from the trash and resold. The domestic seller was a real person and the board might be ok since it had the "same symptoms" and the board from China.

Should I try a BIOS flashback?

Rob_W_
Level 12
Are all the components on the Qvl for the board?
Memory can work on some cpu’s Better than others, i would not think power supply as it works on other board.
Unlikely to be cooler shorting, as you tried it without. ( could try a different one if available)
Yes I would definitely flash the latest bios and also double check every cable and connector, including the pins.
Is it not even starting to post? Or is it failing to complete the post? If it’s not starting to post I would definitely check the power connections.
Check those and see how you get on.
Someone else may have more ideas for you.**

xeromist
I don't think ddt actually tried it without the frio. It is possible to run a cooler without the backplate for a short period of time. It won't be as effective without the clamping pressure but it would be good enough to test for post/no post.

Also when testing a no post scenario it's best to have the board out of the case on a non-conductive surface with no peripherals and one stick of memory. You don't even need a GPU since you can check the post code readout on the board.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

I did test with the Frio uninstalled - no cooler is ok for a minute I'm sure. But there was no change. I also tried my i5 chip - no change. Both work on my P8H67M-EVO mobo.

I did test the mobo out of the case, only the CPU, PSU, and memory. One stick? OK I'll try that this weekend. No CPU? Sure I can try that too.

Here's my memory:
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/High-Performance-Memory/Vengeance%C2%AE-Pro...

I guess its not on the QVL for the MVG; could this actually be the problem? Same specs as the Corsair memory on the QVL. CPU is on the board's QVL.

Here's my SSD:
https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/850evo/

I think its on the QVL (different capacity).

its not even starting to POST. START button on the mobo and case do nothing. No code, no other lights, no fan(s). I'll try flashing the BIOS via USB.

Rob_W_
Level 12
I think you seriously need to check out the power cables/ psu.
Also there connection to motherboard, I have had a duff psu a while back but it still lit the board, really check motherboard for any damage, around the connection especially.
Maybe try different cable ( if available)*

Rob W. wrote:
I think you seriously need to check out the power cables/ psu.
Also there connection to motherboard, I have had a duff psu a while back but it still lit the board, really check motherboard for any damage, around the connection especially.
Maybe try different cable ( if available)*

I can look into this. Just not too keen since the PSU works with my old mobo. I'll try the flashback for the BIOS first, and inspect the power connectors on the mobo and my cables while I'm at it.

The delay is because I ordered a new PSU and I'm waiting for it to arrive:

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Power/Plug-Type/RMx-Series/p/CP-9020092-NA

My current PSU is at least 5 years old - probably not 10 but...

I installed the new PSU and the board (benchtop setup) with only CPU and one memory stick - no change in the outcome. New PSU works well with my old setup. I couldn't see any damage to the power connectors on the mobo.

Question: is there something that usually failed on these mobos? If there was perhaps I could get it repaired; see single chips for sale for these mobos on eBay so I assume its done.

I'm looking into the BIOS flash for a next step.