cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help overlocking 4790k

ViceAndVirtue
Level 7
I have a 4790k I bought not too long ago, to complete my wife's build. I'm just trying to find a little help and get some advice on how I should go about overclocking the cpu. I've read dozens of posts, watched a few videos, and even been on the forums, but everyone always has different ways of doing it and I'd just like a general idea of what I should do. Here's the build list, if it helps.

i7 4790k
16gb G. Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz
Asus Maximus Formula VI
EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 8gb
Thermaltake TR2 600w PSU
3 120mm chassis fans
Cooler Master ML120 AIO

I've also installed real temp, real bench, and CPU-Z, to monitor and stress the cpu. I just ran a test in real bench with the cpu at 4.5ghz and voltage at 1.25v and after about 5 min (out of a 15min test) it detected instability.

I'd like to have it overclocked at 4.5ghz or more because my wife's plays BOTW on CEMU emulator, which causes a lot of stress on the cpu. 4.5ghz is the minimum goal, but anything better would be nice. If anyone could please give me insight or work with me to get a stable overclock, it'd be very much appreciated. Also, sometimes I'll get a couple of error codes, 1 is: "whea_uncorrectable_error" or if I'm stress testing or running emulation it'll be "watchdog_clock_timeout"
3 REPLIES 3

NemesisChild
Level 12
4.5GHz should be very doable with Devils Canyon, especially knowing that the stock turbo frequency is 4.4GHz.

I would suggest returning your bios settings to default/stock, boot into Windows and set Windows power plan to "Performance". Open CPU-Z and make note of the frequency (which be 4.4GH) and the corresponding voltage. Restart, enter the bios, set AI tweak to manual, sync all cores to 46, then set your Vcore to say 1.32v. Run RB for about an hour and monitor the temps closely, you do not want to go over 91C. If it passed RB stress testing, slowly back down the Vcore by 0.01v until it becomes unstable, then bump it up 0.01v and you should be good to go.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

ViceAndVirtue
Level 7
Thanks for the info, once I'm back home I'll try the settings suggested and see if it becomes stable.

mahanddeem
Level 7
I had a 4790K. It did all cores 4.4GHz at 1.17v.
4.6 needed like 1.212v.

Set all cores to 46
Set vcore manual to 1.25v to see how things go
If stable, reduce voltage by 0.01v
If it locks or crashes, up voltage by 0.01v