New ROGer Array

My ROG Boots only with a hair dryer :/

My pc won't boot when its cold...Start and reset button has power light but no debug code. I dont know what cause this. This is funny but I did use a hair dryer on Asus Rampage 4 Extreme and it Works debug code says 80 after reset it says AA. I did update BIOS to 3404, do I need any maunal setting for this cold issue or is it something else cause this.

ROG Guru: Diamond Belt Array Zka17's Avatar

Welcome to the ROG Forum!

Could you share more info about your rig? More details about the components...

Are you using any overclock on your system? If yes, are you doing it from the OS or the BIOS?

New ROGer Array

My build:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3960X CPU @ 3.30GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
    Mainboard: Asus Rampage Extreme 4
    Memory: Corsair 2x4 8GB RAM 1600Mhz
    HDD: Corsair SSD 230gb
    Graphic Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680
    Cooler: Akasa Venom Voodoo 2xViper Fan Intel LGA2011 (AK-CC4008HP01)
    PSU:Turbo-Cool 1200w

Still have boot issues, pc only boots up with Hair Dryer every morning when I try to open PC. I didnt do any OC to the system its default.

ROG Enthusiast Array The Spirit's Avatar

Wow, sorry to hear about the hair dryer thing. I was having the same problem with a 6 year old EVGA board until last week, and am now starting a new build around an R4F. Just ordered it. The hair dryer didn't help me though, but the failure to start was definitely temp related, and I only got it in the winter. I have a 1000 W PSU, so it wasn't a power issue.
    Here's what my problem was, and maybe it will help you.
    I was getting C1 error messages, among others on rare occasions, but no problems with a warm system for a long time. Eventually even a warm system wouldn't boot with all 4 RAM sticks in. The problem was with memory. I had all Corsair Dominator 800 with the same timings, but I got two sticks a few years after the first 2. The voltage was slightly different and the new sticks said revision 2. You have to put your slowest RAM in the slots that read first. Check your mobo specs for where it says to load only 1 stick or only 2 sticks. That worked for a good while. If that doesn't solve it, make sure your RAM is exactly the same. The Corsair Dominator was going bad after just 3 years. I replaced all four sticks with GSkill at a slightly slower set of timings but same 800 speed, and all the problems went away. I also lowered my OC a bit.
    I'm going with GSkill on my new build.

ROG Guru: Diamond Belt Array Zka17's Avatar

Yeap, my suspicion is the RAM too...

"2x4 8GB RAM 1600Mhz" - is that a 2x4GB or a 2GBx4 configuration?

The X79 platform is known to be picky with the RAM... practically you should only use a SINGLE, QUAD CHANNEL KIT on it... - mixing multiple kits or modules can cause trouble... even if the modules/kits seems very similar, they may be very different - don't forget that you can compare only the frequency, voltage and primary timings... the secondary and tertiary timings you won't see until you don't insert them in a mobo, and if those are different, your setup is very likely won't work...

New ROGer Array

I use Heating Pad to boot my G73sw in the morning. After that it boots by itself the rest of the day but when it sets over night and I push the power button it try's to boot for about half a second then nothing unless I push the power button from 5 to 85 times, and it finally boots, then I read about your Hair Dryer method so the next morning I put a Heating Pad under it for 10 to 15 minutes and it boots first try.
    From my searching for a answer to the problem I suspect it is a Capacitor problem on the mother board.

ROG Junior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Zka17 View Post
    Yeap, my suspicion is the RAM too...

"2x4 8GB RAM 1600Mhz" - is that a 2x4GB or a 2GBx4 configuration?

The X79 platform is known to be picky with the RAM... practically you should only use a SINGLE, QUAD CHANNEL KIT on it... - mixing multiple kits or modules can cause trouble... even if the modules/kits seems very similar, they may be very different - don't forget that you can compare only the frequency, voltage and primary timings... the secondary and tertiary timings you won't see until you don't insert them in a mobo, and if those are different, your setup is very likely won't work...
    nice sharing!!

ROG Junior Member Array

I also did use a hair dryer on Asus Rampage 4 Extreme and it Works Best Hair Dryers