cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Zephyrus GM501GS CPU & GPU High Temperatures on Idle

H1rshel
Level 7
Hello,

I have the laptop for about 2 and half weeks or so, and now noticed it is running very hot on Idle.
CPU usage is very low and nothing is running in the background that requires GPU performance. Every few minutes (while not using the laptop) temperatures are starting to rise to 60 - 80 and the fans are staring to kick in.
First thing I did was changing the GPU mode to Discrete Graphics in the gaming center, but I don't see any reason this should cause such issues.

Any ideas what might cause that or how to solve this issue?
Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4

madhacker3kxl
Level 9
H1rshel wrote:
Hello,

I have the laptop for about 2 and half weeks or so, and now noticed it is running very hot on Idle.
CPU usage is very low and nothing is running in the background that requires GPU performance. Every few minutes (while not using the laptop) temperatures are starting to rise to 60 - 80 and the fans are staring to kick in.
First thing I did was changing the GPU mode to Discrete Graphics in the gaming center, but I don't see any reason this should cause such issues.

Any ideas what might cause that or how to solve this issue?
Thanks!

Is anything running on the background? 60 to 80 on the graphics card and/or the CPU?

madhacker3kxl wrote:
Is anything running on the background? 60 to 80 on the graphics card and/or the CPU?

Both!
Nothing major is running in the background, every few minutes the temperatures are rising without CPU or GPU usage being raised.

bladdidoo
Level 7
I may be late, sorry.
But i've read about steam using the gpu even if it is only running in the system tray.
Maybe you have other applications running in the background utilising the gpu?

bladdidoo wrote:
I may be late, sorry.
But i've read about steam using the gpu even if it is only running in the system tray.

Could you kindly cite your source for this information?
The best part about ASUS ROG's $4000± Zephyrus GX501 laptops is undeniably, that
[they] [come] [with] [built-in airbags]
which take about 7 to 10 months to deploy. And can not be removed by the user, because that voids the warranty.
But that's an easter egg that ASUS won't admit exists, so don't tell anyone. 🙂