cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AI Suite <-> Fan Xpert: Fan speed issue

dmt_taran
Level 8
I have problem with fans rapidly kicking in full speed without any known reason. They just randomly throttle to the max without any reason. It could be when PC is idle, when it's under load - whatever it could be, fans just push to the max, though a moment ago they just worked silently. Temps can be idle (33-43C) or high load (50-55C), doesn't matter, the glitch comes out. Fans can work flawlessly for a week, or they can glitch dozens of times per one day.
I don't know what causes it, or how long this bug lives - fans can kick in for 1-3 seconds and drop down the speed to set numbers again, or they can work at full speed forever until I manuaally stop or change any option via fan xpert.

Problem occurs only when Fan Xpert is used (unproven, but I have strong feeling about that, because no issues when UEFI Qfan utility is used).

As for fans - ATM, I use 6 nb eloops, connected to 2nd and 3rd cha_fan via 4pin splitter, 1 by 3. Before, I used 6 vardars, each connected separately, 4 of them I've connected with 1->2 splitter after a while. All this time I had such a problem. I had this problem before Spectre/Meltdown, with AI Suite temporary fault, and afterwards.
MB is X hero.

Using Qfan only is not a variant, because ASUS is a joke here because of 75C limit and aabsence of GPU bind. I have silent custom loop with CPU thrown at 5 GHz at high voltage, so I can't decrease time-to-time spikes up to 79C. That is said, Qfan is no go variant for me. Xpert has an option to break 75C limit, plus, it has an option to bind fan speed to GPU temps - the most intensively used piece of hardware in my PC.

Any ideas/suggestions?
22 REPLIES 22

dmt_taran
Level 8
So, nobody had this glitch? At all?

durukan
Level 7
same here idk why, i cant even update al suite last time he was not working at the last update windows10

LordDain
Level 8
dmt.taran wrote:
I have problem with fans rapidly kicking in full speed without any known reason. They just randomly throttle to the max without any reason. It could be when PC is idle, when it's under load - whatever it could be, fans just push to the max, though a moment ago they just worked silently. Temps can be idle (33-43C) or high load (50-55C), doesn't matter, the glitch comes out. Fans can work flawlessly for a week, or they can glitch dozens of times per one day.
I don't know what causes it, or how long this bug lives - fans can kick in for 1-3 seconds and drop down the speed to set numbers again, or they can work at full speed forever until I manuaally stop or change any option via fan xpert.

Problem occurs only when Fan Xpert is used (unproven, but I have strong feeling about that, because no issues when UEFI Qfan utility is used).

As for fans - ATM, I use 6 nb eloops, connected to 2nd and 3rd cha_fan via 4pin splitter, 1 by 3. Before, I used 6 vardars, each connected separately, 4 of them I've connected with 1->2 splitter after a while. All this time I had such a problem. I had this problem before Spectre/Meltdown, with AI Suite temporary fault, and afterwards.
MB is X hero.

Using Qfan only is not a variant, because ASUS is a joke here because of 75C limit and aabsence of GPU bind. I have silent custom loop with CPU thrown at 5 GHz at high voltage, so I can't decrease time-to-time spikes up to 79C. That is said, Qfan is no go variant for me. Xpert has an option to break 75C limit, plus, it has an option to bind fan speed to GPU temps - the most intensively used piece of hardware in my PC.

Any ideas/suggestions?

How can you read GPU temps with Fan Expert b/c tbh I can't. Do you mean you have a thermal sensor connected?

LordDain wrote:
How can you read GPU temps with Fan Expert b/c tbh I can't. Do you mean you have a thermal sensor connected?

No sensors. I have strix card, maybe that's why

That is very nice, I don't have that on Maximus X Hero and AMD GPU..
You can not select that temperature source in QFan control in the BIOS?

LordDain wrote:
That is very nice, I don't have that on Maximus X Hero and AMD GPU..
You can not select that temperature source in QFan control in the BIOS?

Yup. I can choose whatever I like - CPU, Motherboard, 3 thermal sensors from mysterious unexistent fan extension card - but not GPU, no. This option is totally absent. And I don't know why, since xpert does have it.

I've run across this problem on my Prime X299-Deluxe. In my case, with the exception of the VRM sensor, all of the sensors and fan controls seem to work fine, including three fans controlled by the optional ASUS fan controller. However, regardless of which MB fan header I try to control with the VRM sensor, I get the "ghosting" issue. A "ghost" indicator appears where the fan SHOULD BE on the power curve based on the VRM sensor value, but the fan speed isn't affected at all. Instead, the fan speed remains set based on whatever "secondary" sensor(s) I had configured for the fan.

In addition, when I configure one of the fans controlled by the optional fan controller card to use the VRM sensor, I do not get the ghosting problem BUT the fan speed is still not affected by the VRM sensor value. I'm going to run a thermal sensor line to the VRMs and see if that will solve the problem for me but it's really a pain placing the sensor properly with a fully populated MB. UGH..

Mr__Fox
Level 12
dmt.taran wrote:
So, nobody had this glitch? At all?

I have a similar glitch with the fans, although possibly less annoying that what you describe. What mine will sometimes do is speed up and slow down in a cyclical pattern, but never full blast or obnoxious. Just enough of a ramping up and slowly down pattern that is audible enough to be somewhat annoying when it does it. It seems to have nothing to do with temps. In fact, it is only noticeable when my system is idle with temperatures in the high 20s and low 30s range. It seems to be less frequent after I started doing the fan tuning in the BIOS only and not running the AI Suite fan tuning feature. I can still manipulate the fans with AI Suite and use the profiles, but I ignore the prompt to tune the fans in AI Suite.

My GPU is on a full water block, so I do not know if the GPU fans feature would work correctly. There are no GPU fans. However, AI Suite does show my GPU temperature. I think whether this works or not may have something to do with the brand of GPU and vBIOS. If I use my stock EVGA vBIOS it does not show up, but with the ASUS Strix vBIOS it does show up and AI Suite believes it is an ASUS 1080 Ti even though it is not.
Wraith // EVGA Z690 Dark K|NGP|N | 13900K | RTX 4090 Suprim | 32GB DDR5 Hynix A-DIE @8200 | SuperNOVA 1600 P2 | HC-500A Chiller | MO-RA3 360 || DG-86
Banshee // ROG Z690 Apex | 13900KF | RTX 3090 K|INGP|N | 32GB DDR5 Hynix A-DIE @ 6800 | Corsair RM122x SHIFT | XT-45 NOVA || 5000D Airflow
Half-Breed // Precision 17 7720 | 7920HQ (BGA filth) | Quadro P5000 16GB (MXM) | 32GB DDR4 || Grade A Off-Lease Refurb

Excellent insight Mr.Fox. Yes it does seem to be with Asus GPU's only. for other brands GPU temps reported are being ignored.. how..rudely inconvenient Asus!:mad:

But your idea of flashing another BIOS, that is nice. I own a Powercolor RX Vega, currently running some random Vega 64 BIOS. Will try ASUS BIOS tonight 😄

Just wanted to post here with a warning. Do *NOT* flash reference Vega with STRIX BIOS. Doesn't work 😛