Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

AI Suite <-> Fan Xpert: Fan speed issue

I have problem with fans rapidly kicking in full speed without any known reason. They just randomly throttle to the max without any reason. It could be when PC is idle, when it's under load - whatever it could be, fans just push to the max, though a moment ago they just worked silently. Temps can be idle (33-43C) or high load (50-55C), doesn't matter, the glitch comes out. Fans can work flawlessly for a week, or they can glitch dozens of times per one day.
    I don't know what causes it, or how long this bug lives - fans can kick in for 1-3 seconds and drop down the speed to set numbers again, or they can work at full speed forever until I manuaally stop or change any option via fan xpert.

Problem occurs only when Fan Xpert is used (unproven, but I have strong feeling about that, because no issues when UEFI Qfan utility is used).

As for fans - ATM, I use 6 nb eloops, connected to 2nd and 3rd cha_fan via 4pin splitter, 1 by 3. Before, I used 6 vardars, each connected separately, 4 of them I've connected with 1->2 splitter after a while. All this time I had such a problem. I had this problem before Spectre/Meltdown, with AI Suite temporary fault, and afterwards.
    MB is X hero.

Using Qfan only is not a variant, because ASUS is a joke here because of 75C limit and aabsence of GPU bind. I have silent custom loop with CPU thrown at 5 GHz at high voltage, so I can't decrease time-to-time spikes up to 79C. That is said, Qfan is no go variant for me. Xpert has an option to break 75C limit, plus, it has an option to bind fan speed to GPU temps - the most intensively used piece of hardware in my PC.

Any ideas/suggestions?

ROG Enthusiast Array

So, nobody had this glitch? At all?

ROG Junior Member Array

same here idk why, i cant even update al suite last time he was not working at the last update windows10

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by dmt.taran View Post
    I have problem with fans rapidly kicking in full speed without any known reason. They just randomly throttle to the max without any reason. It could be when PC is idle, when it's under load - whatever it could be, fans just push to the max, though a moment ago they just worked silently. Temps can be idle (33-43C) or high load (50-55C), doesn't matter, the glitch comes out. Fans can work flawlessly for a week, or they can glitch dozens of times per one day.
    I don't know what causes it, or how long this bug lives - fans can kick in for 1-3 seconds and drop down the speed to set numbers again, or they can work at full speed forever until I manuaally stop or change any option via fan xpert.

Problem occurs only when Fan Xpert is used (unproven, but I have strong feeling about that, because no issues when UEFI Qfan utility is used).

As for fans - ATM, I use 6 nb eloops, connected to 2nd and 3rd cha_fan via 4pin splitter, 1 by 3. Before, I used 6 vardars, each connected separately, 4 of them I've connected with 1->2 splitter after a while. All this time I had such a problem. I had this problem before Spectre/Meltdown, with AI Suite temporary fault, and afterwards.
    MB is X hero.

Using Qfan only is not a variant, because ASUS is a joke here because of 75C limit and aabsence of GPU bind. I have silent custom loop with CPU thrown at 5 GHz at high voltage, so I can't decrease time-to-time spikes up to 79C. That is said, Qfan is no go variant for me. Xpert has an option to break 75C limit, plus, it has an option to bind fan speed to GPU temps - the most intensively used piece of hardware in my PC.

Any ideas/suggestions?
    How can you read GPU temps with Fan Expert b/c tbh I can't. Do you mean you have a thermal sensor connected?

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by LordDain View Post
    How can you read GPU temps with Fan Expert b/c tbh I can't. Do you mean you have a thermal sensor connected?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Безымянный.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	75040

No sensors. I have strix card, maybe that's why

ROG Member Array

That is very nice, I don't have that on Maximus X Hero and AMD GPU..
    You can not select that temperature source in QFan control in the BIOS?

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by LordDain View Post
    That is very nice, I don't have that on Maximus X Hero and AMD GPU..
    You can not select that temperature source in QFan control in the BIOS?
    Yup. I can choose whatever I like - CPU, Motherboard, 3 thermal sensors from mysterious unexistent fan extension card - but not GPU, no. This option is totally absent. And I don't know why, since xpert does have it.

ROG Member Array EdNovak PC Specs
    EdNovak PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS PRIME X299-DELUX
    ProcessorI9-7920X
    Memory (part number)Corsair LPX Vengence (3600) 32G
    Graphics Card #1ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080
    MonitorLG 4K 32"
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro 1TB M.2 NVMe
    Storage #2Seagate Barracuda Pro 4TB
    CPU CoolerCorsair H115i
    CaseCorsair Obsidian 750D
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNova 220-P2-0850-X1 Platinu
    OS W0 Pro
    Network RouterD-Link Dir-868L

Unhappy Same Problem, slightly different specifics.

I've run across this problem on my Prime X299-Deluxe. In my case, with the exception of the VRM sensor, all of the sensors and fan controls seem to work fine, including three fans controlled by the optional ASUS fan controller. However, regardless of which MB fan header I try to control with the VRM sensor, I get the "ghosting" issue. A "ghost" indicator appears where the fan SHOULD BE on the power curve based on the VRM sensor value, but the fan speed isn't affected at all. Instead, the fan speed remains set based on whatever "secondary" sensor(s) I had configured for the fan.

In addition, when I configure one of the fans controlled by the optional fan controller card to use the VRM sensor, I do not get the ghosting problem BUT the fan speed is still not affected by the VRM sensor value. I'm going to run a thermal sensor line to the VRMs and see if that will solve the problem for me but it's really a pain placing the sensor properly with a fully populated MB. UGH..

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Mr. Fox PC Specs
    Mr. Fox PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)- NA -
    MotherboardEVGA X299 Dark
    Processori9-7960X @ 5.2GHz
    Memory (part number)32GB Corsair LPX DDR4-4000 @ 4200
    Graphics Card #1EVGA RTX 2080 Ti xC2 Ultra Gaming
    MonitorPredator XB271HU 2560x1440 165Hz
    Storage #1512GB 960 Pro x 2 (OS Boot Drives)
    Storage #2960GB Samung Enterprise NVMe SSD x 2 | 2TB HDD
    CPU CoolerDual 360MM XPSC Rads+1/2 HP Water Chiller
    CasePraxis WetBench
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA P2 1600W
    Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
    Mouse SteelSeries Sensei Wireless
    Headset Skullcandy Crusher Wireless S6CRW
    Mouse Pad Black Anodized Aluminum
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z506 5.1 Speaker System
    OS W10 Ent LTSB 2016 / W7 Ultimate (Dual Boot)
    Accessory #1 Hailea HC-500A 1/2HP~790Watt Water Chiller

Quote Originally Posted by dmt.taran View Post
    So, nobody had this glitch? At all?
    I have a similar glitch with the fans, although possibly less annoying that what you describe. What mine will sometimes do is speed up and slow down in a cyclical pattern, but never full blast or obnoxious. Just enough of a ramping up and slowly down pattern that is audible enough to be somewhat annoying when it does it. It seems to have nothing to do with temps. In fact, it is only noticeable when my system is idle with temperatures in the high 20s and low 30s range. It seems to be less frequent after I started doing the fan tuning in the BIOS only and not running the AI Suite fan tuning feature. I can still manipulate the fans with AI Suite and use the profiles, but I ignore the prompt to tune the fans in AI Suite.

My GPU is on a full water block, so I do not know if the GPU fans feature would work correctly. There are no GPU fans. However, AI Suite does show my GPU temperature. I think whether this works or not may have something to do with the brand of GPU and vBIOS. If I use my stock EVGA vBIOS it does not show up, but with the ASUS Strix vBIOS it does show up and AI Suite believes it is an ASUS 1080 Ti even though it is not.
    Last edited by Mr. Fox; 08-09-2018 at 02:35 AM.
    Punisher | EVGA X299 Dark | i9-7960X @ 5.2GHz | 32GB Corsair LPX 4000 @ 4200 | EVGA 2080 TI xC2 HydroCopper Block
    EVGA SuperNOVA 1600W P2 | 2x 512GB 960 Pro / 2x 1TB Enterprise NVMe / 2TB HDD / 4TB HDD | W10 / W7 (Dual Boot)
    2x XSPC RX360 | Praxis WetBench | Hailea HC-500A (1/2HP~790W) Water Chiller | Results:
    http://hwbot.org/user/mr._fox/

ROG Member Array

Excellent insight Mr.Fox. Yes it does seem to be with Asus GPU's only. for other brands GPU temps reported are being ignored.. how..rudely inconvenient Asus!

But your idea of flashing another BIOS, that is nice. I own a Powercolor RX Vega, currently running some random Vega 64 BIOS. Will try ASUS BIOS tonight

Just wanted to post here with a warning. Do *NOT* flash reference Vega with STRIX BIOS. Doesn't work :P
    Last edited by LordDain; 08-10-2018 at 08:29 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast