cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original ASUS Xonar STX and the AM4+ platform

R5Eandme
Level 12
Hi fellow ROGers,

I read about the problem of reboots when installing or using the Xonar STX II on AM4+ platforms with Windows. That problem is apparently not fixable, and the forum thread is now closed.

Does anyone know if the same problem exists with the original Xonar STX (PCIe)? I have one of those.

Also, has anyone used Xonar STX or STX II on an AM4+ platform with Linux? What was your experience?

Thank you
7 REPLIES 7

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Narrow the use case down a bit more R5Eandme! 😉

I'm using a Xonar STX on TR4...works fine...I use driver from here http://uni.maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/....but this is with Windows...so almost but not entirely, not what you asked for...:o

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Narrow the use case down a bit more R5Eandme! 😉

I'm using a Xonar STX on TR4...works fine...I use driver from here http://uni.maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/....but this is with Windows...so almost but not entirely, not what you asked for...:o

Hi Arne and thank you. Sorry my mind is too expansive 😄 My use case: I have components for a system using the Crosshair VI Extreme (X370) with a Ryzen 1800X. I am planning to install Linux but may want the option of dual booting with Windows as well. I have both Xonar STX and STX II, the latter being in my current R5E/i7-5930K.

The reboot issue with STX II and AM4 platforms was deemed unfixable by ASUS forum posters, but I would like to know if it is a hardware incompatibility problem or a driver problem. There is more hope if it is a driver issue, so maybe the uni driver would work.

Glad your TR4 works great with the STX. My next machine will be a Threadripper or its descendant. Thank you AMD!

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Righto....just a thought...maybe try posting in the Crosshair section...might get more views than here

Exciting times for AMD right now...hope they can ride the wave for a while

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Righto....just a thought...maybe try posting in the Crosshair section...might get more views than here

Yes it was gratifying to see the Ryzen and Threadripper product lines arrive and disrupt the cpu market. All those cores! All those PCIE lanes! Affordable too. AMD apparently had been developing the Infinity architecture for a time and my understanding is that it allows cpu modules to be linked to multiply the core count. Intel was caught by surprise and they still seem to be figuring out how to respond. Intel was stingy with PCIE lanes, which are needed now more than ever for NVME M.2 drives. Competition is good for us.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:

Unrelated but it seems like they are going to ride that wave with a 32 core processor soon, I believe compatible with X399, interested to see some benchmarks with that one

Menthol wrote:
Unrelated but it seems like they are going to ride that wave with a 32 core processor soon, I believe compatible with X399, interested to see some benchmarks with that one

Yes! Here is the Ars Technica report on the Threadripper 2:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/06/amd-unveils-threadripper-2-up-to-32-cores-64-threads-for-an-...

"...the children asleep all snug in their beds, while visions of multi-threads danced in their heads"

Menthol wrote:
it seems like they are going to ride that wave with a 32 core processor soon

Yes...that's a lot of cores....not sure about the memory architecture though...quad channel board with 8 channel IMC....x399 might be limited vs EPIC for memory bandwidth...will be interesting to see CineBench scores

R5Eandme wrote:
"...the children asleep all snug in their beds, while visions of multi-threads danced in their heads"

LOL