ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Any Issues Undervolting G703VI with locked BIOS?

Sorry for a possible noob question...

I have the G703VI. I7-7820hk/1080. This laptop has an animated BIOS screen & CPU clock configuration is locked. If I wanted to keep the ROG gaming center on the extreme profile could I undervolt the CPU to take advantage of the full 4.2 while keeping temperatures in check?

I guess what i'm trying to ask is, would the locked CPU BIOS interfere with XTU's undervolt capabilities? Also, if CPU was successfully undervolted at 4.2 would ROG gaming centers profile switching interfere with that?

ROG Enthusiast Array

Hi,

Recommanding to use only ThrottleStop you can do everything with that. If you need screenshoot about settings (except extreme profile) tell me I will post them.
    Using offseet voltage -115.2 mv. At max undervolt got a crash but not anymore.

Cheers.

New ROGer Array

Can u pls provide throttlestop settings for undervolting for g703vi?

ROG Enthusiast Array

Sorry for late reply. I switched back to XTU 6.5.2.38 (always check with "HWMonitor" that your undervolt is set when you reboot and back to windows). Throttlestop was a bit complicate. Here is my settings :

Incrising undervolt after "-0,070 V" didn't see package temperature improvement. This fix "Power Limit Throttling" too.
    Last edited by Svan; 05-19-2020 at 08:15 PM.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Svan View Post
    Sorry for late reply. I switched back to XTU 6.5.2.38 (always check with "HWMonitor" that your undervolt is set when you reboot and back to windows). Throttlestop was a bit complicate. Here is my settings :

Incrising undervolt after "-0,070 V" didn't see package temperature improvement. This fix "Power Limit Throttling" too.
    Do you have by any chance link for a good undervolting guide for G703 ?
    Is it correct that i have to ditch Armoury crate totally to be able to use XTU?
    I`d like to keep it to control lightning, get updates etc.
    Maybe it is possible to tune its profiles, i have heard that AC uses the same XTU inside.
    Thanks!

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

There are numerous tutorials online. While not specific to the G703, it still shows you where and what values you should aim for.

https://www.ultrabookreview.com/3138...tlestop-guide/

Just curious, what are your temps with your G703? When I had that laptop, it had one of the most robust cooling solutions in a laptop I have seen and temps were always in check. In my quest for every ounce of performance out of it, I determined that out of the box that particular laptop is pushed pretty much as quick as it can go. With the locked vbios, your only avenue to possibly squeeze out more performance is via undervolting. But even then, the gains are minimal. Unless you are seeing drastic drops in the GPU clocks under load with throttling, I doubt undervolting will gain you much.
    (ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... )
    MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
    RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
    SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72