Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus X99 Sabertooth / 5820K - After 2 years, suddenly doesn't recognise RAM

mad-pete
Level 7
Hi guys,

Looking for your thoughts on the following:

The other day, one of my system refused to boot.

The symptoms were power up to the bios screen, display the TUF logo, reboot and repeat in a loop.

I've discovered through testing that if I take out half the RAM, the system boots fine. It doesn't matter which half is used in the grey slots, but they don't work in the dark slots.

I have 32GB RAM, 8x4GB... I've tested all the RAM in the grey slots OK so I don't think it's RAM (as far as being faulty).

The system hasn't been overclocked, and has been kept cool with a Corsair H115i CLC.

I've removed the CPU, checked the socket (looks fine) reseated and reapplied thermal paste.

I've removed all the memory obviously, and I've cleaned the dimms and the sockets.

The relevant system spec is:

Intel 5820K CPU
Asus x99 Sabertooth
Corsair CMK16GX4M4B3200C16 x2 kits
Corsair RM650X PSU
Basic Radeon 6450 GPU

So it's either the CPU or the Motherboard right?

I don't have a spare of either to test with, so I'm looking for an educated guess as this could get expensive quickly!

If this was a new build, I would instantly think the RAM isn't compatible, but this system has run perfectly for 2 years.

I should also say that this is with the mem running at 2133 1.2v stock (non xmp mode).

Would massively appreciate any help.

Thanks, Pete.
2 REPLIES 2

chevell65
Level 12
I found a long thread on this issue with X99 and ram not showing up. A few people fixed the issue by upping the memory voltage but who knows what the problem really is.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2337139/ram-fully-detected.html

chevell65 wrote:
I found a long thread on this issue with X99 and ram not showing up. A few people fixed the issue by upping the memory voltage but who knows what the problem really is.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2337139/ram-fully-detected.html

Thanks Chevell,

I will read it top to bottom, I've read a few posts on this with new builds, but mine has been running fine for a while. So I'm thinking fault rather than compatibility issues but as you say, it's difficult to diagnose esp without spare parts!