cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dolby Digital or DTS Output GX501Gi

trung_dinh
Level 7
Hi

Firstly, just a disclaimer, I've clean installed my computer. Regrettably so, some functions aren't working properly like Aura Core and GameVisual.

I'm wanting to connect my Zephyrus to my TV and sound system so I can play games in surround sound. However, the sound system only accepts Dolby Digital or DTS outputs. Games a usually done through LPCM or PCM, is there a way to change the output to Dolby Digital or DTS? I know a lot of high end computers has the ability to do so under the sound setting but I can't seem to find this option. I've done some research, if you can change the settings of the Realtek Digital Output in the Playback devices, you can set it to DD/DTS, I don't see that listed on my computer. Again, I have a clean install and I've used both the audio drivers found in the eSupport folder and on the support website, can anyone who hasn't clean installed confirm whether they can change their audio setting like the picture below?

Thank you
Trung
7 REPLIES 7

madhacker3kxl
Level 9
Hi, I have a clean installed GM501GS and mine shows both DD and DTS option. For native surround sound the game has to support it, eg. Portal, Half-life 2, etc. You are talking about by other high end computers are all simulated surround where it will get stereo source and upmix to 5.1, 7.1 etc. By the way that DD/DTS from Realtek Digital out supports 2.0 to 7.1.

Could you give picture of what you see? Or the one below is your?

How do you have it connected to the sound system?

Computer HDMI -> Sound system receiver -> TV?

or

Computer HDMI -> TV -> ARC/Optical out to Receiver?

Sadly, a lot of newer games doesn't do surround anymore in PCs because people are content with stereo gaming headsets.

madhacker3kxl wrote:
Hi, I have a clean installed GM501GS and mine shows both DD and DTS option. For native surround sound the game has to support it, eg. Portal, Half-life 2, etc. You are talking about by other high end computers are all simulated surround where it will get stereo source and upmix to 5.1, 7.1 etc. By the way that DD/DTS from Realtek Digital out supports 2.0 to 7.1.

Could you give picture of what you see? Or the one below is your?

How do you have it connected to the sound system?

Computer HDMI -> Sound system receiver -> TV?

or

Computer HDMI -> TV -> ARC/Optical out to Receiver?

Sadly, a lot of newer games doesn't do surround anymore in PCs because people are content with stereo gaming headsets.

Hi thanks for the advice, is yours using Realtek to do the DD and DTS? I've noticed mine is using nVidia HD Audio. It does state what format it can accept but there's no option to select anything. Sorry, I disconnected everything so I can't grab a screenshot atm.

How mine is connected is: Computer HDMI --> Audio Extractor --> Toslink (optical) to the sound Receiver

My receiver can't accept HDMI so I'm using the audio extractor as a bypass but it should work the same. Things that are natively DTS or DD works fine like videos playing on the computer, even the Netflix app. But everything else that is 5.1 outputs as PCM which doesn't go through multichannel. Your computer actually shows an option to pick and choose DTS and DD? That's crazy that mine doesn't as the GX series should be better right? Can you please provide a screenshot if it's not too much of a hassle?

Thanks a lot of your help :DD

trung.dinh wrote:
Hi thanks for the advice, is yours using Realtek to do the DD and DTS? I've noticed mine is using nVidia HD Audio. It does state what format it can accept but there's no option to select anything. Sorry, I disconnected everything so I can't grab a screenshot atm.

How mine is connected is: Computer HDMI --> Audio Extractor --> Toslink (optical) to the sound Receiver

My receiver can't accept HDMI so I'm using the audio extractor as a bypass but it should work the same. Things that are natively DTS or DD works fine like videos playing on the computer, even the Netflix app. But everything else that is 5.1 outputs as PCM which doesn't go through multichannel. Your computer actually shows an option to pick and choose DTS and DD? That's crazy that mine doesn't as the GX series should be better right? Can you please provide a screenshot if it's not too much of a hassle?

Thanks a lot of your help :DD

Before we go any further, does your audio extractor have sound option? For example, the one I used had 3 audio switch option: Passthrough, 5.1, 2.0. Does yours have anything like that? Do you have an example on 5.1 that outputs as PCM?

I will get back to you on the screenshot when I get home.

Yeah it does it's set to 5.1. When I said I was using the official drivers, I was using the audio Realtek ones, the nvidia is just the one automatically installed by windows. Do you think I should try the one from the support page since the playback chosen is the nvidia one? Thanks heaps

trung.dinh wrote:
Yeah it does it's set to 5.1. When I said I was using the official drivers, I was using the audio Realtek ones, the nvidia is just the one automatically installed by windows. Do you think I should try the one from the support page since the playback chosen is the nvidia one? Thanks heaps

Try it in passthrough mode if you haven't tried already. If it is anything like mine, it did weird stuff if the audio stream was anything other than DD. Passthrough didn't have any issue at all.

This particular GX/GM series does audio routing really weird. I haven't had the time to diagnose it.

I have attached a picture of my Nvidia output settings. It does not allow any changes like you mentioned. Only lists whatever the output supports.

Note: I only have a 2 channel sound bar now.

That's exactly what I have. I though the computer could output DTS or DD on the fly being a high end machine. Trying to output at least 5.1 ahah. Thanks for your help though. You've been super helpful 😄

trung.dinh wrote:
That's exactly what I have. I though the computer could output DTS or DD on the fly being a high end machine. Trying to output at least 5.1 ahah. Thanks for your help though. You've been super helpful 😄

Did you try the passthough mode?