cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zephyrus GX501 - Swollen Battery! Please check yours!

DJRiful
Level 7
I have to take mine out before it burns my house down!

If you notice this while running your computer.

Non-gaming scenario:
+ Warm keyboard.
+ Bulge around WASD key area or look at your keyboard that is not flush with the edge.

Gaming scenario:
+ Hot to touch keyboard.
+ Bulge increased around WASD keys.

GX501 keyboard should not have any heat up at all since the CPU and GPU designed all up front.

Does ASUS offer PARTS for C41N1712

I really don't want 1 month RMA my entire laptop because I can be so stupid just swap the battery with my toolkit easily.

https://imgur.com/a/8YfJmEk
8 REPLIES 8

ROG_HARDCORE
Level 7
Congratulation. you have violated the warranty.
1. Do you know that the battery is very expensive? It cost 99$ in US to replace. ( Manually parts order through Authorized service center )
2. Asus will also replace entire keyboard, and entire keyboard panel if you RMA. in another words, just let it explode. you get new parts, Big WIN.

Visit Authorized asus service center for more detail. bring the battery, it can be ordered. just prepare 100 bucks. If you lucky, you can get for free.

DJRiful
Level 7
Yes I know, not worth my time with ASUS RMA known to be slow and takes month. I am going to be month without a computer to use for banking and paper work aside from entertainment. I cannot afford that. Especially now the time to deal with insurances, licenses and etc.

I just noticed my keyboard was leaving marks on my display, so I looked and sure enough, the keyboard is swelling and the bottom of the laptop is warped too. Sigh. I didn't really need this, but hey, I bought a cutting edge new model and things do tend to go wrong.

sc00byy
Level 8
Sent mine to Asus and got battery replaced. It took 2 weeks to get it back. Not so bad. Just so you know, my battery was probably like yours. Keyboard was waving espacially under ZXVC keys.

did it make marks on your display from keys bulging up? Mine is. WOndering if they replaced your whole keyboard or just the battery.

sirvink wrote:
did it make marks on your display from keys bulging up? Mine is. WOndering if they replaced your whole keyboard or just the battery.

Their procedure would be to replace the battery and the keyboard unit.
The best part about ASUS ROG's $4000± Zephyrus GX501 laptops is undeniably, that
[they] [come] [with] [built-in airbags]
which take about 7 to 10 months to deploy. And can not be removed by the user, because that voids the warranty.
But that's an easter egg that ASUS won't admit exists, so don't tell anyone. 🙂

nday76
Level 9
Hey
My battery also have swollen and it has been 11 months since I purchased.
I feel like I had a feeling that my keyboard was bulging since 10th month.
Took the battery out and the keyboard is not bulging no more. 😄

I actually have my warranty for next 2 days but didin't want to wait a month for RMA.
They are just gonna put the same problematic battery in and I have to do the same thing in next 10 months.

nday76 wrote:
Hey
My battery also have swollen and it has been 11 months since I purchased.
I feel like I had a feeling that my keyboard was bulging since 10th month.
Took the battery out and the keyboard is not bulging no more. 😄

I actually have my warranty for next 2 days but didin't want to wait a month for RMA.
They are just gonna put the same problematic battery in and I have to do the same thing in next 10 months.

Same. Just took it out one day prior to my appointment at the service center here in Manila, Philippines lol... I really don't like people handling or rather "mishandling" my stuff haha... My only gripe is since there is no battery present, I think we need to fill the void since the middle is a little stooped. This is much better than the bulge of the expanded battery mind you but I think for lasting support and longevity it is prudent to put in a dummy. I've been considering a sintra board cutout. Any ideas? Anyone?