cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with new system (C7H + 2700x)

montyro
Level 7
Hi, i recently built a computer and while it works pretty well ive found 2 different problems with it.

1.- Sometimes at boot it won't past through Asus ROG screen. With 3 different Q-Codes, 9C, A0, and b4 (or64?¿?) last one its the one that appears the most.

2.- Sometimes, while playing or watching youtube i get a small hang with distorted audio (around 1-2 seconds long), and after it happens, every time i open CPU-Z or HWMonitor it hangs (on CPUZ it hangs on PCI). I've tried a lot of things, but i can't get what's causing it. I can't even reproduce the hangs in order to do proper testing. Things i've tried:
- 3 Different nvidia drivers versions.
*- Tried both with XMP on and off.
- Updated Bios to 0804 from 0402.
- Passed Memtest for 3 hours without any problem, and another memory tester from inside windows for another 2 hours, no problems detected.
- Chskdsk gives no errors on any of the disks
- Uninstalled chipset drivers.
- sfc /scannow found no errors.
- Disabled VSS service. This was curious, as when i disabled it after an error *and opened cpu-z the hang did not occur (and it always occurs after i get a random hang, until i restart)
*- Disabled super fetch. Didn't actually get a screen hang (at least not while i was using the computer) but cpu-z still crashed.*

I can't narrow it to what it could be. Before i disabled superfetch there were some ESENT events with code 916, now it seems like those errors are not there anymore but i get nvidia drivers crashes.

Man im so happy with the performance of this computer but im thinking about returning it all as a whole and getting a 8700k. So much headaches....
*Thank you in advance!

EDIT: Computer specs

Ryzen 2700x
Crosshair VII Hero
GSKILL tridentz rgb 3200 cl16
Samsung evo 970 m2 ssd
ROG GTX 1080
Crucial 128gb ssd
Corsair RMx 650W*
9 REPLIES 9

syldon
Level 9
montyro wrote:
Hi, i recently built a computer and while it works pretty well ive found 2 different problems with it.

1.- Sometimes at boot it won't past through Asus ROG screen. With 3 different Q-Codes, 9C, A0, and b4 (or64?¿?) last one its the one that appears the most.

2.- Sometimes, while playing or watching youtube i get a small hang with distorted audio (around 1-2 seconds long), and after it happens, every time i open CPU-Z or HWMonitor it hangs (on CPUZ it hangs on PCI). I've tried a lot of things, but i can't get what's causing it. I can't even reproduce the hangs in order to do proper testing. Things i've tried:
- 3 Different nvidia drivers versions.
*- Tried both with XMP on and off.
- Updated Bios to 0804 from 0402.
- Passed Memtest for 3 hours without any problem, and another memory tester from inside windows for another 2 hours, no problems detected.
- Chskdsk gives no errors on any of the disks
- Uninstalled chipset drivers.
- sfc /scannow found no errors.
- Disabled VSS service. This was curious, as when i disabled it after an error *and opened cpu-z the hang did not occur (and it always occurs after i get a random hang, until i restart)
*- Disabled super fetch. Didn't actually get a screen hang (at least not while i was using the computer) but cpu-z still crashed.*

I can't narrow it to what it could be. Before i disabled superfetch there were some ESENT events with code 916, now it seems like those errors are not there anymore but i get nvidia drivers crashes.

Man im so happy with the performance of this computer but im thinking about returning it all as a whole and getting a 8700k. So much headaches....
*Thank you in advance!

Q-Codes, 9C, A0, and b4 point to things that rely on the SOC. This could be voltages or bad memory setup. No one can really point you in any direction though without specs and a bios dump.

You can drop a text dump of all your bios settings with the bios menu under tools and then profiles. Add a copy of
the stilts timing checker also would help

syldon wrote:
Q-Codes, 9C, A0, and b4 point to things that rely on the SOC. This could be voltages or bad memory setup. No one can really point you in any direction though without specs and a bios dump.

You can drop a text dump of all your bios settings with the bios menu under tools and then profiles. Add a copy of
the stilts timing checker also would help

Sorry, how could i forget to put my complete pc on description, my bad there. Bios is stock, using a Skill trident z 3200 CL16. I'll put them on description now, and try getting the bios dump in a while when i get home, thanks!

hi Just built this today
Asus Rog c7h
Corsair vengeance c15 3000 (on the list)
ryzen 2700x
Nvidia gtx 1030
samsung 970 evo new clean
It will not boot to bios no image on screen just stops at OD on q code. I have tried the ram in different slots, one slot only etc any one any ideas pleas

garrywoodley52 wrote:
hi Just built this today
Asus Rog c7h
Corsair vengeance c15 3000 (on the list)
ryzen 2700x
Nvidia gtx 1030
samsung 970 evo new clean
It will not boot to bios no image on screen just stops at OD on q code. I have tried the ram in different slots, one slot only etc any one any ideas pleas

If you have Q-CODE: 0d and Q-LED: DRAM lit (1st one below Q-CODE display, amber) then RAM is being detected at fault.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

Welcome to C7H - where you have to reset/reboot about 10 times a day for it to post.

gupsterg
Level 13
Had mine since launch, really can't agree with that.

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger

Da Music video

gupsterg wrote:
Had mine since launch, really can't agree with that.

Don't get me wrong, I love the board, so many options and tweeks in the bios, alas I see F9 pretty much daily with QVL Ram, still love her though, shes just tempermental sometimes. 😄

Prydeless wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I love the board, so many options and tweeks in the bios, alas I see F9 pretty much daily with QVL Ram, still love her though, shes just tempermental sometimes. 😄

I don't think QVL RAM means much. I have used non QVL RAM, albeit Samsing B die single rank/sided sticks, which pretty much is catnip to Ryzen IMC.

On my very first 2700X I was able to gain 3533MHz with decent stability. Issue was, I'd randomly have Q-Code: F9 with Q-LED: DRAM lit. I tried various changes to profile and I'd either get rid of POST issue, but lose testing stability in OS or I'd have testing stability in OS, but have random POST issue. Solution was to roll back RAM OC to 3466MHz.

My 3rd 2700X is attaining 3600MHz, but showing signs same as my 1st, so now I may use sleep/resume (as POST process differs) or roll back RAM OC.

Da Music video

The last solution I have found is that if I set bios to optimized default and just redo everything it works. Bit of a pain (I could set up profiles lol) but for an expensive board like this, you expect their not to be issues such as the F9 code especially if its on the QVL list. Not a huge deal, but like a little splinter in your hand that just annoys you lol.

I'm currently using Gskill trident rgb 3200 14 14 14 34 and can get it to run @ 3400+ (I think its 3444 - EDIT - 3466) at stock voltage, usually have to boot twice but once it boots its golden, good idea on the sleep mode!